Subject: #504 does From: allow non addr-spec mailbox values?

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:44:23 +0100

Hi there,

in 
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/msg10646.html>, 
SM notices:

> In Section 5.5.1:
>
>   'The "From" header field contains an Internet email address for a
>    human user who controls the requesting user agent.  The address ought
>    to be machine-usable, as defined by "mailbox" in Section 3.4 of
>    [RFC5322]:'
>
> The above text is similar to text which was in RFC 2068 and RFC 2616. The "mailbox" may also contain a display name whereas the "addr-spec" (see Section 3.4.1) is an Internet mail address. I listed this issue as minor to flag it for the attention of the HTTPbis Working Group.

So while updating the reference for "mailbox" in 
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/133>, we actually 
changed the definition to include name-addr 
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4>)

>    mailbox         =   name-addr / addr-spec
>
>    name-addr       =   [display-name] angle-addr

I don't think we (ahem, I) intended that change, so I propose to change 
the definition in P2 from:

>   From    = mailbox
>
>   mailbox = <mailbox, defined in [RFC5322], Section 3.4>

to

>   From    = addr-spec
>
>   addr-spec = <addr-spec, defined in [RFC5322], Section 3.4.1>

Feedback appreciated,

Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 17:10:49 +0100

On 2013-10-28 15:44, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> The above text is similar to text which was in RFC 2068 and RFC 2616.
>> The "mailbox" may also contain a display name whereas the "addr-spec"
>> (see Section 3.4.1) is an Internet mail address. I listed this issue
>> as minor to flag it for the attention of the HTTPbis Working Group.
>

Proposed patch: 
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/504/504.diff>

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:24:57 +0100

> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/504/504.diff>

...and applied with 
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/2443>.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:30:36 +0100

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>Subject: #504 does From: allow non addr-spec mailbox values?

RFC 2616 allows `From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>` and I am
quite sure syntax like that is used in the wild; it is also good to keep
the syntax close to the mail and netnews `From` headers. The change in
changeset 2443 seems to disallow this form. It is unclear to me that you
intended to make this use non-compliant.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:01:14 +0100

> intended to make this use non-compliant.

I did, because SM managed to convince me that this is what RFC 2616 said 
(and I misread the grammmar).

However you are right that this syntax was allowed before, so I'll 
revert the change.

Thanks for catching this!