Subject: Question for the editors about draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-25

From: Amos Jeffries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 16:43:35 +1300

CHAR is being used in some ABNF rules for the P5 Range draft.

Section 1.2 has a generic refernce to RFC5234.

Appendix C has a more specific reference to RFC5324 explicitly listing
the ABNF definitions imported, but omits CHAR.

Is that appendix relevant and needing an update before publication?

Amos

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:19:06 +0100

> Is that appendix relevant and needing an update before publication?

Good catch!

The appendix is relevant, but the actual problem is the use of CHAR in 
the first place.

We have

   Range = byte-ranges-specifier / other-ranges-specifier
   other-ranges-specifier = other-range-unit "=" other-range-set
   other-range-set = 1*CHAR

and RFC 5234 defines

       CHAR           =  %x01-7F
                              ; any 7-bit US-ASCII character,
                              ;  excluding NUL

but we certainly do not want control characters here, so it should have 
been VCHAR.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:02:25 +0100

> but we certainly do not want control characters here, so it should have

Fixed in <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/2507>.