Subject: Padding should be specified for PUSH_PROMISE frames too?

From: Jonathan Thackray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 16:04:40 +0100

Hi,

I'm currently writing an implementation of the HTTP/2 draft 10
specification. I was
puzzled that (optional) padding is specified for HEADERS and CONTINUATION
frames (because they contain header block fragments, to obscure the message
length), but the PUSH_PROMISE frame format, which also contains header block
fragments, doesn't allow arbitrary padding.

As the draft currently stands, you can only send a PUSH_PROMISE frame
without
any padding for the first header block fragment, then subsequent
CONTINUATION
frames containing additional header block fragments with padding.

Is this an oversight? Surely it should have padding as well, to be
consistent.
Or is this because headers sent from the server are not considered deserving
of padding to obscure their length (and possible contents)? I couldn't see
this
listed on the "issues" page on GitHub, so raising this issue here.

Many thanks,
Jonathan.

---

From: Johnny Graettinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 11:13:54 -0400

Hi Jonathan,

It's an oversight in draft 10. The current editor's copy of the
draft<http://http2.github.io/http2-spec/#PUSH_PROMISE>includes padding
on PUSH_PROMISE as well.

cheers,
-johnny

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Jonathan Thackray <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> of padding to obscure their length (and possible contents)? I couldn't
> see this