Subject: PONG (was Re: Why do DATA frames have padding?)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 13:09:11 -0700

On 7 May 2014 12:51, Mike Bishop <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Heh -- sending a PING response without having gotten a PING in the first place (or yet, if it's in flight) has the potential to mess with many state machines....  That's an interesting attack.

Well, it is if you maintain state for PING like that.

More seriously, if you had not considered this option, it's
conceivable that others won't.  Is this something we need to patch in
the spec?

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 13:16:16 -0700

You'd also have to correctly guess the value of the payload that was/would
have been included in the PING.
If the party sending PINGs always uses a random int64, there is a
1/1.8*10^19 chance that you can mess something up.

-=R

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>wrote:

> > Heh -- sending a PING response without having gotten a PING in the first
> place (or yet, if it's in flight) has the potential to mess with many state
> machines....  That's an interesting attack.
>