Subject: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-reschke-http-jfv-00.txt

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:58:46 +0200

FYI: this as a rough proposal how new header fields could use JSON as 
syntax.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-reschke-http-jfv-00.txt
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 00:47:41 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

         Title           : A JSON Encoding for HTTP Header Field Values
         Author          : Julian F. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-reschke-http-jfv-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2014-07-02

Abstract:
    This document establishes a convention for use of JSON-encoded field
    values in HTTP header fields.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-reschke-http-jfv/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reschke-http-jfv-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 13:17:48 +0000

>FYI: this as a rough proposal how new header fields could use JSON as 

I would *love* to see HTTP/3 impose a uniform well defined format on headers.

It might even make sense to drop the concept of headers, and send
them all in a single JSON metadata object.

-- 
Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
[email-masked]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe    
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 07:28:55 -0700

Now that would be an interesting idea. My only challenge with it is that it
would be easy and tempting to abuse by stuffing way too much into the
"header", conflating "header" and "payload" and just plain over
complicating things. My WS-Therapy sessions are just now starting to do
some good, the twitching is nearly completely gone.

Sanity around header structure is a good thing, but I'm -1 on forcing
dependency on a json decoder. We are already heading the binary route.
Let's invest time in an efficient binary encoding that gives us easy,
reliable parsing. I know Julian has said before that he wants something
that would work in h1 bit, for me, that's simply not interesting.

- James

---

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:50:40 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>, James M Snell wr
ites:

>dependency on a json decoder.

As long as you don't propose ASN.1 instead :-)

>reliable parsing.

This is where I think we should really work on three levels of
data:
	routing-headers (first line of HTTP/1 sans :query)
	metadata
	entity-body

For routing-headers, yes, they should be binary and very cheap to access.

For metadata I think interoperability is more important than raw performance
and I would prefer we don't invent a new format, but piggy-back on some
existing encoding.

But this is clearly HTTP/3 stuff, so lets put it on the afterburner...