Subject: Ciphersuite requirements ext#26

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:23:06 -0700

>From the issue (https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/26):

Section 3 implies that there are no cipher suite requirements on Opp
Sec, but it'd be good to discuss and formalise this. May require
tweaks to HTTP/2 (which places requirements on use of TLS, not TLS
with "https").

--

PHK will disagree, but I think that we're OK here. Better to have a
single robust profile than to permit exceptions. There are several
problems with exceptions or variations:

* oppsec will be detectable as such to a passive observer

* a single configurations is more robust; better to use a single code
path and far better not to risk weakening "https" accidentally

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:59:13 +1000

So, are we saying that oppsec defers to the specific protocol negotiated for any ciphersuite requirements (e.g., h2 has a very specific high bar, while http/1.1-over-tls has none)?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:03:34 -0700

> So, are we saying that oppsec defers to the specific protocol negotiated for any ciphersuite requirements (e.g., h2 has a very specific high bar, while http/1.1-over-tls has none)?

Yes.  Though I'd take exception at that latter statement.  http/1.1
doesn't have no requirements, just none from the protocol itself.  We
might not have eliminated RC4 just yet, but we have managed to get rid
of the obviously bad stuff (like RC2 and DES).