Subject: Editorial notes on http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc-02

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 12:32:12 -0400

Julian et al,

some feedback based on a re-read of -02

* Section3 says "* When using HTTP/2 ([HTTP2
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc-02#ref-HTTP2>]),
clients SHOULD instead send an ALTSVC. A single frame can be sent for a
connection; a new frame is not needed for every request"* I believe that
should read "servers SHOULD instead send".

* section 3 also says "*Note that the "quoted-string" syntax needs to be
used when a host is specified in addition to a port (":" is not an allowed
character in "token").*" ..This confuses me.. its not the host that has the
colon - the colon is always there.. so don't we always need the
quoted-string instead of a token? I always get in trouble when I talk
syntax :(

* I think the http2= examples should probably be h2= to lineup with the
expected ALPN id.

Thanks!

-P

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 20:21:35 +0200

> Julian et al,

Note to yourself :-)

> * Section3 says "/When using HTTP/2 ([HTTP2
> connection; a new frame is not needed for every request"/ I believe that

Right. 
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/commit/ed04f4c2bdc879934213e22554eca721c2f05ad6>.

> * section 3 also says "/Note that the "quoted-string" syntax needs to be
> used when a host is specified in addition to a port (":" is not an
> allowed character in "token")./" ..This confuses me.. its not the host
> that has the colon - the colon is always there.. so don't we always need
> the quoted-string instead of a token? I always get in trouble when I
> talk syntax :(

Good catch. 
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/commit/4e6f4fe2da1e38508ffdb2349ea962c46a8036f7>

> * I think the http2= examples should probably be h2= to lineup with the

Fixed earlier by Martin: 
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/commit/881e99d4284a28c816503c3a7ef3137d4a93dfd0>

> Thanks!

See 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc-latest-from-previous.diff.html> 
for the aggregated changes since -02.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best regards, Julian