Subject: User-Agent header field and quoted-string

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 13:13:02 -0700

RFC 7231 defines the User-Agent header field as follows:

     User-Agent = product *( RWS ( product / comment ) )
     product         = token ["/" product-version]
     product-version = token

All web browsers produce a quoted-string.  Clearly that is not causing
the world to end.

Erratum?

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:28:22 +0200

> All web browsers produce a quoted-string.  Clearly that is not causing

They do?

Consider me surprised.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 13:31:05 -0700

> Consider me surprised.

Aaaaand, that's a bug in the way that strings are exposed in our tool
chain:  "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/35.0"

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:33:53 +0200

> chain:  "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101

I think I even opened a bug about that some time ago. The display for 
headers that occur multiple times is also weird...

Best regards, Julian

---

From: MISSY LAWSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:44:45 -0500

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 30, 2014, at 3:28 PM, Julian Reschke <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: MISSY LAWSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:44:33 -0500

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: MISSY LAWSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:44:18 -0500

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: MISSY LAWSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:44:11 -0500

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 30, 2014, at 3:31 PM, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: MISSY LAWSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:44:27 -0500

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Amos Jeffries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:26:31 +1300

On 1/10/2014 9:13 a.m., Martin Thomson wrote:
> User-Agent = product *( RWS ( product / comment ) ) product
> = token ["/" product-version] product-version = token
> 
> All web browsers produce a quoted-string.  Clearly that is not
> causing the world to end.

Huh?

... and I say that with 17 years experience working in one way or
another with UA signature sniffing and UA product registries.

Amos