Subject: Barry Leiba's Yes on status-change-http-status-code-308-ps-01: (with COMMENT)

From: "Barry Leiba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:14:05 -0800

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
status-change-http-status-code-308-ps-01: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-http-status-code-308-ps/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been some concern about two things here:

1. Using the status-change mechanism for this purpose in the first place.
 We can argue about that, but I propose that we not, and that after this
document is done we evaluate whether to use this mechanism in future or
not.

2. The first two paragraphs of Section 4 (in RFC 7238) appear to be
specific to the experimental status, so the question has been raised (by
Adrian and by Robert in his Gen-ART review) whether that, itself, is a
reason the document should be properly revised.  The author, the httpbis
working group, and I all think not: while the experiment is over and this
is ready for Standards Track, it will be some time before there's wide
deployment, and implementations will need to continue to be ready for
spotty support of the 308 status code, so the warnings in Section 4 still
apply to the Standards Track version, and a revision isn't needed at this
time.