Subject: Re: Pushing 304's

From: Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:42:56 +0100

FYI, we have the etag/lastmodified push cache implemented in Jetty now and
it is a good improvement as we appear to be able to push 304 responses
moderately frequently.     We still have a problem with html files that an
application makes as non-cacheable or expires, as when the next request for
that resource comes in, it looks like a totally fresh request, so we push
the associated resources when that is not necessary.   As this will be a
frequent use-case for sights that have rapidly changing html using lots of
static resources, I think we (Jetty) need a better heuristic for this...
which we are currently trialing the freshness of the session to indicate if
the cache may be hot.

For those interested, I draw your attention to the thread in the servlet-eg
discussing an API for push
https://java.net/projects/servlet-spec/lists/jsr369-experts/archive/2014-12/message/1

cheers

On 1 December 2014 at 08:11, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On 30 November 2014 at 13:40, Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Any browsers out there likely to grok such pushed 304's?
>
> It's a good test case either way. :)
>

-- 
Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*
http://eclipse.org/jetty HTTP, SPDY, Websocket server and client that scales
http://www.webtide.com  advice and support for jetty and cometd.