Subject: HTTP/2 and path fragments

From: "Simpson, Robby (GE Energy Management)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:15:45 +0000

Section 8.1.2.3 discusses the :path pseudo-header field:
>> The :path pseudo-header field includes the path and query parts of the
>>target URI (the path-absolute production from [RFC3986] and optionally a
>>'?' character followed by the query production, see [RFC3986], Section
>>3.3 and [RFC3986], Section 3.4). A request in asterisk form includes the
>>value '*' for the :path pseudo-header field.

While the path and query parts of the target URI are discussed, the
fragment is not (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.5).

Perhaps a bit picky, but should this warrant an update?

- Robby
http://robbysimpson.com

---

From: Daniel Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:21:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015, Simpson, Robby (GE Energy Management) wrote:

> While the path and query parts of the target URI are discussed, the fragment 
> is not (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.5).
>

I don't follow. What would an updated version say?

The fragment is part of the URI, it is typically not part of what is sent over 
the wire.

-- 

  / daniel.haxx.se

---

From: "Simpson, Robby (GE Energy Management)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:51:17 +0000

>The fragment is part of the URI, it is typically not part of what is sent

Doh! If there are no cases where it is sent over the wire, then nevermind.

---

From: Zhong Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:07:22 -0500

>>>value '*' for the :path pseudo-header field.

side note: Major browsers don't follow rfc3986; they may send any
octets in 0x21-0xFF except "#" in path and query.[1] Some server
applications may be depending on that. An HTTP implementation may have
to be more liberal with URIs to interoperate with existing
applications.

In any case, "#" in :path must not be accepted; the request is
corrupt, and there is no safe way to tolerate/reinterpret it.

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1152455#c6

Zhong