Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Authentication-Info and Proxy- Authentication-Info Response Header Fields' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-auth-info-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:46:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Authentication-Info and Proxy-
   Authentication-Info Response Header Fields'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-auth-info-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact person is Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-auth-info/

Technical Summary

This specification defines the "Authentication-Info" and
"Proxy-Authentication-Info" response header fields, for use in HTTP
authentication schemes that need to return information once the
client's authentication credentials have been accepted.

Review and Consensus

This document separates the definition of the "Authentication-Info" and
"Proxy-Authentication-Info" HTTP header fields from RFC2617, so that
they can be used by other HTTP authentication schemes (including some
being actively developed).

As such, the header fields have already enjoyed implementation and
deployment; this merely re-specifies them for more generic use.
Other Working Groups depend upon this specification to progress
their work items.  The specification has been reviewed, and its content
has been uncontroversial.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Mark Nottingham; the responsible Area Director
is Barry Leiba.