Subject: [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC7233 (4358)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 13:33:14 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC7233, "Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Range Requests". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7233&eid=4358

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2015-05-07
Held by: Barry Leiba (IESG)

Section: 4

Original Text
-------------
The 206 (Partial Content) status code indicates that the server is
successfully fulfilling a range request for the target resource by
transferring one or more parts of the selected representation that
correspond to the satisfiable ranges found in the request's Range
header field (Section 3.1).

Corrected Text
--------------
The 206 (Partial Content) status code indicates that the server is
successfully fulfilling a range request for the target resource by
transferring one or more parts of the selected representation that
correspond to the satisfiable ranges found in the request's Range
header field (Section 3.1). A response may chose to satisfy only
part of a requested range.

Notes
-----
Firefox and Chrome already behave as if the "Corrected Text"
statement is true.

It may be desirable if for example a user returns to a
html5 video with auto play, pauses the video and is only
interested in responding to a comment on the page. In this example
it would be unnecessarily costly to transfer the whole 128GB when
the user only consumes a few MB.

Alternative: maybe it should only be true if last-byte-pos is
absent.

----- Verifier Notes -----
The reporter is uncertain of the meaning and asks that it be clarified, one way or the other.  A future update of the document might consider clarifying wording.

--------------------------------------
RFC7233 (draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Range Requests
Publication Date    : June 2014
Author(s)           : R. Fielding, Ed., Y. Lafon, Ed., J. Reschke, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 14:56:11 -0700

FWIW, the editorial change I would suggest here would be to end the
sentence after "one or more parts of the selected representation".
The trailing " that correspond to the satisfiable ranges found in the
request's Range header field (Section 3.1)" is irrelevant to the response
(and is specified elsewhere).

....Roy

> On May 12, 2015, at 1:33 PM, RFC Errata System <[email-masked]> wrote:
>