Subject: Alt-Svc #62: proxies

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 11:01:12 +1000

<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/62>

The current suggestion in the issue (made by me) is to add something like this to the spec:

"Clients configured to use a proxy SHOULD NOT use alternative services."

Comments?

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Amos Jeffries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 14:12:59 +1200

> "Clients configured to use a proxy SHOULD NOT use alternative services."

+1.

The ALTSVC frame is explicitly hop-by-hop already. This helps to bring
the HTTP/1 header behaviour in line with that.

A proxy will not be emitting ALTSVC frames. Nor should it be relaying
Alt-Svc headers, unless its a legacy install treating them as unknown
and relaying blindly.

I would hope for the HTTP/1 header to also be explicitly mentioned as
hop-by-hop as well with a proxy / gateway requirement to SHOULD erase
where possible on forwarding, or if received from an upstream proxy.

Amos