Subject: Client Explicitly Requesting an Empty Body

From: Brad Fults <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:57:07 -0500

Hi,

Is there a mechanism for an HTTP client to request that the server
return an empty body after performing a requested operation? I
searched specs & mailing list archives to no avail.

For instance, a PATCH on /resource/:id where the client only cares
that the operation succeeded, but explicitly does not want the
resource representation returned in the response body (e.g. because it
will be a large response body and the client is on a limited-bandwidth
connection). I would expect such a response to return a 204 No Content
status.

If there is no such current mechanism, would one be considered? One
possibility would be an `Accept: none` header from the client.

Thanks.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:39:01 -0700

Try https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7240#section-4.2

---

From: Brad Fults <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 13:55:31 -0500

Perfect.

Thanks.