Subject: Re: Partial header indexing in HPACK?

From: Brendan Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 16:11:00 +0000

Thanks for the information. I wish I had thought to try this earlier :\

> On May 29, 2015, at 3:20 PM, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On 29 May 2015 at 14:01, Brendan Long <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I’m wondering if there’s any way to partially index a header, or if this is
>> something the IETF would consider looking at.
> 
> This was considered as part of the HTTP/2 (HPACK) design process and
> the conclusion was that there were some non-trivial security concerns
> resulting from any scheme that could compress parts of header fields.
> That combined with a strong desire to minimize the complexity of HPACK
> meant that this didn't make the cut.
> 
> Without thinking about the security problem too hard, something like
> what you describe might be made to work, maybe.  But at this point we
> have no way of changing the protocol.
>