Subject: [Errata Rejected] RFC7230 (4412)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 05:37:07 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been rejected for RFC7230,
"Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Message Syntax and Routing".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7230&eid=4412

--------------------------------------
Status: Rejected
Type: Technical

Reported by: Rick Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2015-07-09
Rejected by: Barry Leiba (IESG)

Section: 3.3.3

Original Text
-------------
If a Transfer-Encoding header field is present in a response and
the chunked transfer coding is not the final encoding, the
message body length is determined by reading the connection until
it is closed by the server.  If a Transfer-Encoding header field
is present in a request and the chunked transfer coding is not
the final encoding, the message body length cannot be determined
reliably; the server MUST respond with the 400 (Bad Request)
status code and then close the connection.

Corrected Text
--------------
Either:

If a Transfer-Encoding header field is present in a response and
the chunked transfer coding is not the final encoding, the
message body length is determined by reading the connection until
it is closed by the server.

Or:

If a Transfer-Encoding header field is present in a request and 
the chunked transfer coding is not the final encoding, the 
message body length cannot be determined 
reliably; the server MUST respond with the 400 (Bad Request) 
status code and then close the connection.

Notes
-----
The paragraph has two apparently contradictory rules.  It is unclear which is the correct behaviour.
 --VERIFIER NOTES-- 
They're not contradictory: the first is for responses and the second is for requests, which are different situations.

--------------------------------------
RFC7230 (draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Message Syntax and Routing
Publication Date    : June 2014
Author(s)           : R. Fielding, Ed., J. Reschke, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis APP
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG