Subject: RFC 7694 on Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Client-Initiated Content-Encoding

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 20:19:01 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7694

        Title:      Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Client-Initiated 
                    Content-Encoding 
        Author:     J. Reschke
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 13676
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-httpbis-cice-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7694

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7694

In HTTP, content codings allow for payload encodings such as for
compression or integrity checks.  In particular, the "gzip" content
coding is widely used for payload data sent in response messages.

Content codings can be used in request messages as well; however,
discoverability is not on par with response messages.  This document
extends the HTTP "Accept-Encoding" header field for use in responses,
to indicate the content codings that are supported in requests.

This document is a product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC