Subject: HTTP/2.0 independent of TCP/IP

From: "Dave Wain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 09:35:36 -0000

Guys, a brief reminder for making HTTP/2.0 support low
bandwidth/offline applications.

Original message
==============
HTTP could become independent of the TCP/IP transport
layer if the (mandatory) request fields are included in the
response header.

This would be useful where the Internet is not available.

Regards
DW

Note: This message is private and confidential and hence
must be received without interception or distortion by the
intended recipients only. Permission to use the information
explicitly must come from the sender (and recipients).

My personal web site and alternate contact details are at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave.wain/.

---

From: Daniel Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 11:01:11 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, Dave Wain wrote:

> Guys, a brief reminder for making HTTP/2.0 support low bandwidth/offline 
> applications.

Can you take this a step further and state what you actually think we or 
anyone should do? HTTP/2 (without .0!) is already done and shipped.

As it isn't TCP/IP, what is the transport you're considering? Why do you think 
we need to modify HTTP/2 for everyone instead of you fixing your transport to 
have the necessary mechanisms to transfer HTTP/2 properly?

-- 

  / daniel.haxx.se

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 09:46:32 +1100

While it's never really been written down (Mike wrote a good piece on
it here: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bishop-decomposing-http-01),
the assumption is that whatever transports HTTP requests has the
ability to correlate requests and responses.  HTTP/1.1 does that by
using TCP and by matching the order of requests and responses.  HTTP/2
does that with stream identifiers.  Anything else would be a different
protocol again.

On 17 December 2015 at 21:01, Daniel Stenberg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> As it isn't TCP/IP, what is the transport you're considering? Why do you
> think we need to modify HTTP/2 for everyone instead of you fixing your
> transport to have the necessary mechanisms to transfer HTTP/2 properly?
>
> --
>
>  / daniel.haxx.se
>