Subject: Re: Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc-13: (with COMMENT)

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 10:41:01 +1100

Hi Benoit,

> A clear sentence such as this one would have helped me:
> OLD:
>   This specification defines a new concept in HTTP, "Alternative
>   Services", that allows an origin server to nominate additional means
>   of interacting with it on the network.  
> NEW:
>   This specification defines a new concept in HTTP, "Alternative
>   Services", applicable to both HTTP 1.1 and HTTP 2.0, that allows 
>   an origin server to nominate additional means of interacting with 
>   it on the network.  

AltSvc is not specific to those two versions of the protocol; in theory, it could be used in HTTP/1.0, or in HTTP/3 if that eventuates.

> I overlooked this info in the following sentence, i.e. the fact that HTTP
> header = HTTP 1.1:
> 
>   It defines a general
>   framework for this in Section 2, along with specific mechanisms for
>   advertising their existence using HTTP header fields (Section 3) or
>   HTTP/2 frames (Section 4), plus a way to indicate that an alternative
>   service was used (Section 5).

The header isn't specific to HTTP/1.1; it could be used in HTTP/2 as well.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 13:19:36 +0000

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc-13: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-alt-svc/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

  It defines a general

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 11:15:56 +0000

Hi Mark,
> AltSvc is not specific to those two versions of the protocol; in theory, it could be used in HTTP/1.0, or in HTTP/3 if that eventuates.
This is the info that, written somewhere in the intro, would have helped me.
Admittedly, I'm not a HTTP expert, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Regards, Benoit
> .