Subject: Nits and suggestions for draft-kazuho-h2-cache-digest

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 01:43:51 +1000

>From small to large:

Nit:
       2.  If "W" and "V" are equal, continue to the next "V".

This should be next "W", I think.

I think that Q would be better encoded as a series of 0 bits followed
by a 1 bit.  The reason I say that is that it is (marginally) easier
to generate the values then by masking in the R value in the right
place in a freshly calloc'd piece of memory.

This document really needs to describe what the contents of the cache
digest are, and to describe how to decode the cache digest.  Without
defining what it means to receive and decode this information, this
specification almost says nothing at all.

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 15:24:54 +1000

> On 15 May 2016, at 1:43 AM, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> From small to large:
> 
> Nit:

There is no next W...

> place in a freshly calloc'd piece of memory.

I'm not fussed; Kazuho?

> specification almost says nothing at all.

Whatever happened to "left as an exercise to the reader?"

:)

Yes, we do. 

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Alcides Viamontes E <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 08:19:39 +0200

Mark, I'm stalking your latest edits of this draft in Github and it's
looking good.  I particularly like the inclusion of Etags. A server should
be able to use those etags to decide if it needs to push something new,
although there is no way to do that *right now*. Is there a document
(besides the HTTP/2 RFC, which is a bit vague on this) detailing  the
workflows with pushed representations, particularly what the browser is
expected to do?

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 16:21:17 +1000

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback; it's really helpful.

WRT push workflows, I've been thinking about writing a document along those lines; I agree something like that is needed. 

Cheers,

> On 31 May 2016, at 4:19 PM, Alcides Viamontes E <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Mark, I'm stalking your latest edits of this draft in Github and it's looking good.  I particularly like the inclusion of Etags. A server should be able to use those etags to decide if it needs to push something new, although there is no way to do that right now. Is there a document (besides the HTTP/2 RFC, which is a bit vague on this) detailing  the workflows with pushed representations, particularly what the browser is expected to do?
>

---

From: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 16:12:31 +0900

>> place in a freshly calloc'd piece of memory.

I do not mind either way, so it might be better to change it now.

-- 
Kazuho Oku

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 17:27:52 +1000

Done:
  https://github.com/mnot/I-D/commit/b2761011291677b

> On 31 May 2016, at 5:12 PM, Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]> wrote:
>