Subject: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC7233 (4707)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 00:34:47 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7233,
"Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Range Requests".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7233&eid=4707

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>

Section: Appendix C

Original Text
-------------
The following core rules are included by reference, as defined in
Appendix B.1 of [RFC5234]: ALPHA (letters), CR (carriage return),
CRLF (CR LF), CTL (controls), DIGIT (decimal 0-9), DQUOTE (double
quote), HEXDIG (hexadecimal 0-9/A-F/a-f), LF (line feed), OCTET (any
8-bit sequence of data), SP (space), and VCHAR (any visible US-ASCII
character).

Corrected Text
--------------
The following core rules are included by reference, as defined in
Appendix B.1 of [RFC5234]: ALPHA (letters), CHAR, CR (carriage return),
CRLF (CR LF), CTL (controls), DIGIT (decimal 0-9), DQUOTE (double
quote), HEXDIG (hexadecimal 0-9/A-F/a-f), LF (line feed), OCTET (any
8-bit sequence of data), SP (space), and VCHAR (any visible US-ASCII
character).

Notes
-----
CHAR is used in Section 4.2 but not mentioned here.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7233 (draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Range Requests
Publication Date    : June 2014
Author(s)           : R. Fielding, Ed., Y. Lafon, Ed., J. Reschke, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis APP
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 17:35:30 +1000

Verified.

> On 9 Jun 2016, at 5:34 PM, RFC Errata System <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 07:08:56 +1000

The other rules have a parenthetical, I assume that this would be CHAR
(character) or (single character).

---

From: Amos Jeffries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:05:06 +1200

> (character) or (single character).

Something along the lines of how VCHAR is explained in terms of US-ASCII
would be more clear I think.

RFC5234 uses the text "any 7-bit US-ASCII character, excluding NUL"

Amos