Subject: Re: A proposal for Shared Dictionary Compression over HTTP

From: Wei-Hsin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 10:37:53 -0700

Hi,

Attached please find the updated version of SDCH spec with proper license
language. It is added based on the feedback from other people. SDCH is
supported by Google Chrome and is used by Google web search and other
company like LinkIn. Yandex expresses interests in properly submit SDCH via
IETF.  Please let us know if you have any feedback on this. Thank you very
much,

SDCH team, Google Inc.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Wei-Hsin Lee <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Over the last few weeks we've been experimenting with a way to get better
> compression for HTTP streams using a dictionary-based compression scheme,
> where a user agent obtains a site-specific dictionary that then allows
> pages on the site that have many common elements to be transmitted much
> more quickly.
>
> We have a paper that we wrote to describe this idea, which I have put
> online here:
> http://groups.google.com/group/SDCH
>
>
> The specifics in the paper are just one possibility, we're not attached to
> the exact model described above. So far our experiments have been quite
> encouraging, so we'd love to work with other browser and server vendors to
> flesh this out. Is this something that anyone would be interested in? Your
> advices are very welcomed.
>
> Thank you,
>
> SDCH team, Google Inc.
>

---

From: Sawood Alam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 18:29:05 +0000

Hi,

This reminds me of a theoretical paper I wrote for a peer reviewed
conference (MTECS'08) during my undergrad program in the year 2008. I am
attaching that paper here in the email, but it can also be downloaded from
http://www.cs.odu.edu/~salam/papers/DCCUPMT.pdf.

The paper describes various terminologies and a couple of algorithmic
procedures to reference pieces of one document in the other using ordered
pairs. Since then I did not get a chance to explore the idea further with
practical data.

Best,

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 1:45 PM Wei-Hsin Lee <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> The specifics in the paper are just one possibility, we're not attached
>> to the exact model described above. So far our experiments have been quite
> --

--
Sawood Alam
Department of Computer Science
Old Dominion University
Norfolk VA 23529

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 10:19:08 +1000

Hi,

Thanks for that. I suspect there's going to be substantial interest in taking this forward to a standard.

However, it'd be best to publish it as an Internet Draft, for a number of legal and process reasons.

If you need help with that, please ask and we can find someone (possibly inside Google) to assist in the process (which is pretty arcane, but easy once you know your way around it and have the right tools at hand).

Cheers,

> On 8 Jun 2016, at 3:37 AM, Wei-Hsin Lee <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Attached please find the updated version of SDCH spec with proper license language. It is added based on the feedback from other people. SDCH is supported by Google Chrome and is used by Google web search and other company like LinkIn. Yandex expresses interests in properly submit SDCH via IETF.  Please let us know if you have any feedback on this. Thank you very much,
> 
> SDCH team, Google Inc.
>  
> 
> Over the last few weeks we've been experimenting with a way to get better compression for HTTP streams using a dictionary-based compression scheme, where a user agent obtains a site-specific dictionary that then allows pages on the site that have many common elements to be transmitted much more quickly.
> 
> We have a paper that we wrote to describe this idea, which I have put online here:
> The specifics in the paper are just one possibility, we're not attached to the exact model described above. So far our experiments have been quite encouraging, so we'd love to work with other browser and server vendors to flesh this out. Is this something that anyone would be interested in? Your advices are very welcomed.
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> SDCH team, Google Inc.
> 

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/