Subject: Bar BOF in Seoul and Mailing List - DNS over HTTP ideas

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 11:22:29 -0400

Hi All -

DNS over HTTP comes up again and again - each time the context is a bit
different. Some efforts try and extract information from the DNS via HTTP,
others try and modify the DNS information via HTTP, others try and use HTTP
as a tunnel for the DNS protocol, and still others aim to integrate DNS
information directly into the HTTP protocol stack. Along the way there are
firewalls, caches, markup languages, content-encodings, half solutions,
security challenges, and other dragons.

Someone made the excellent suggestion that we try and get a broad set of
expertise here - both from the folks that understand DNS, the folks that
are more experienced with HTTP, as well as the folks well versed in
interfaces together to build a more complete set of requirements and after
that's done we can make a gut check on whether that's a problem we want to
solve together.

Let's hold an informal bar-bof in Seoul (time and place TBD) on the topic
and see if we can get critical mass together for the effort - we can
discuss forums/etc for this work along the way - but I'm most interested to
see if we can get the attention of the diverse set of folks necessary to
make it succeed.

There is a new list as a way to prepare for that meetup.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=dnsoverhttp
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsoverhttp

I know some folk are working in this space already - please join
dnsoverhttp and share what you're working on (or have worked on in the past
and lessons learned from it)

Thanks!
-Patrick