Subject: Re: Encryption simplification

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 22:39:18 +0100

On 2016-10-30 19:18, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <[email-masked]>, Martin Thoms
> on writes:
>
>
>> The main assertion that this assumes is this: content codings should
>> be self-descriptive.
>
> I think this is the right way to go.  When we discussed this, I had
> to twist my brain silly to come up with examples, and they were all
> clearly strawmen.
>
> I wish we had a pool of "HTTP design principles" somewhere we could
> add decisions like this to, for future reference.

We discussed this in yesterday's WG meeting, and I mentioned that we 
could document this in a future revision of the core specs as 
consideration for new content codings, and that we should add a gitgub 
issue for that.

That said, Poul-Henning already opened one last month - see 
<https://github.com/httpwg/http11bis/issues/21>.

Best regards, Julian