Subject: Mixed schemes

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 13:29:46 +1100

Patrick (perhaps indirectly) suggested that we can harness a Firefox bug here:

  https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/270

That is, rather than mention that coalescing between https and http
might happen, forbid it instead.

I'm fairly sure that this will address the concerns Erik had.  Maybe
too effectively; objections like this would be good to hear.

I didn't add any text here about coalescing two http:// origins.  I
don't want to close this issue until we resolve that too.  Should we:

1. allow coalescing of two http:// origins by default
2. forbid coalescing of two http:// origins without an explicit signal

My preference is for option 2.

Let's be perfectly clear, there's no inherent protocol reason why we
can't coalesce.  But this stems from an (over)abundance of caution.
We can develop explicit opt-in signals regarding coalescing if it came
to that ... #include <ORIGIN frame discussions>.

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 14:14:00 +1100

Personally -- SGTM (including #2).

> On 21 Nov. 2016, at 1:29 pm, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 17:04:32 -0500

I really think we can do #1, but I won't object to #2.

-P

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 22:38:28 -0500

they don't coalesce on h1, but they do coalesce on h2. The distinction
isn't about cleartext - h2 has coalescing rules :)

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Erik Nygren <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Forbidding cross-scheme coalescing by default addresses my concern.  I'm
> happy for us to explore opt-in approaches in the future (eg, a SETTING).
>
> As for #1/#2, what do browsers typically do today for clear-text HTTP
> pconns that resolve to the same IP but have different origins / host
> headers? If they don't normally coalesce on cleartext, I think forbidding
> coalescing is fine here as well as the default.
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
>