Subject: Re: Question regarding RFC 7230

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 08:25:46 +0100

On 2017-01-08 03:51, Hartford, Eric wrote:
>> It would be helpful if you explained what you're looking for. A safe
> method that allows a request body, so data doesn't need to be sent as
> part of the URI?
>
> Yes, as in a RESTful API, GET method is used for the concept of entity
> retrieval, and if the parameters of the retrieve query are complex
> enough it is unwieldy to use the path or query parameters of the URI,
> and it becomes more appropriate to use the content body of the request.
>  (Think database queries.) Yes I "can" just use a POST but conceptually
> my operation is a retrieval and I would like to be able to use a GET for
> a retrieval operation.

This comes up every few months. I personally agree that we should do 
something about it. Latest effort was 
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-snell-search-method-00>.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 07:58:21 -0800

Yes, this has been on my todo list to complete for a while and I've
had several folks waiting and asking for it but I simply have not had
the time. If anyone would like to take the effort over to get it done
I'd be happy to hand it off.