Subject: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7230 (5216)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 01:55:24 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7230,
"Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Message Syntax and Routing".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5216

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Jingcheng Zhang <[email-masked]>

Section: 5.4.

Original Text
-------------
A client MUST send a Host header field in all HTTP/1.1 request
messages.  If the target URI includes an authority component, then a
client MUST send a field-value for Host that is identical to that
authority component, excluding any userinfo subcomponent and its "@"
delimiter (Section 2.7.1).  If the authority component is missing or
undefined for the target URI, then a client MUST send a Host header
field with an empty field-value.

Corrected Text
--------------
A client MUST send a Host header field in all HTTP/1.1 request
messages.  If the target URI includes an authority component, then a
client MUST send a field-value for Host that is identical to that
authority component, excluding any userinfo subcomponent and its "@"
delimiter (Section 2.7.1).  If the authority component is missing or
undefined for the target URI, then a recipient MUST reject this
request.

Notes
-----
First, 

   If the target URI includes an authority component, then a
   client MUST send a field-value for Host that is identical to that
   authority component.

Secondly, section 2.7.1 said:

   A sender MUST NOT generate an "http" URI with an empty host
   identifier.  A recipient that processes such a URI reference MUST
   reject it as invalid.

So a recipient MUST reject a request with empty authority.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7230 (draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Message Syntax and Routing
Publication Date    : June 2014
Author(s)           : R. Fielding, Ed., J. Reschke, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis APP
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 14:22:27 -0800

Reject. A target URI can be any URI scheme.

....Roy

> On Dec 25, 2017, at 1:55 AM, RFC Errata System <[email-masked]> wrote:
>