Subject: 415 and Accept

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 10:32:56 +1100

RFC 7694 explicitly permits the use of Accept-Encoding on a 415
(Unsupported Media Type) response.  In doing so it says:

   Section 6.5.13 of [RFC7231] defines status code 415 (Unsupported
   Media Type) to apply to problems related to both media types and
   content codings.

Our friends over in ACME want to use Accept, but RFC 7231 only really
describes the use of Accept for clients.  That seems like an
oversight.  415+Accept seems like a very reasonable response to a
request that included an unsupported media type.

Should I add this to the 723x-ter pile?

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 10:16:40 +0900

> Should I add this to the 723x-ter pile?

Yes, please.

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/