Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses-03.txt

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 23:14:52 +0000

The pretty version of this draft is at
https://wicg.github.io/webpackage/draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses.html
.

I've tried to address Ekr's concerns from
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2018JanMar/0077.html,
which turned out to be less about privacy implications, and more about
attackers' ability to replay content to victim clients. The new draft
blocks certain headers and gives guidelines to signers about how to
systematically avoid mistakes. I'm looking for feedback about whether I've
picked the right set of headers and guidelines, and if these are sufficient.

I did not address Martin's concerns from
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2018JanMar/0085.html
about the architectural implications of removing the initial connection to
the publisher's server because I couldn't get an explanation of the harm
that might cause to the publisher or the client. I'd love to get such an
explanation so that I can address it.

In the next draft, we're planning changes to what's currently
the application/http-exchange+cbor format to avoid the need for a streaming
CBOR parser and to bound the amount of memory a browser process needs to
incrementally verify the exchange. This will tie the format more closely to
signed exchanges instead of general HTTP exchanges, especially if we design
it to allow verifying the signature without reserializing the headers.
Please holler if you really want a general HTTP exchange representation.

Any other feedback is also welcome.

Happy Pi day and see you all next week,
Jeffrey

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 1:09 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses-03.txt
To: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses-03.txt
has been successfully submitted by Jeffrey Yasskin and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses
Revision:       03
Title:          Signed HTTP Exchanges
Document date:  2018-03-05
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          49
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses-03.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses-03
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses-03
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses-03

Abstract:
   This document specifies how a server can send an HTTP request/
   response pair, known as an exchange, with signatures that vouch for
   that exchange's authenticity.  These signatures can be verified
   against an origin's certificate to establish that the exchange is
   authoritative for an origin even if it was transferred over a
   connection that isn't.  The signatures can also be used in other ways
   described in the appendices.

   These signatures contain countermeasures against downgrade and
   protocol-confusion attacks.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat