Subject: HTTP proposal for UDP proxying: HELIUM

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:43:33 -0400

Hello HTTPBIS,

In a thread a few months ago [1], there was call for interest in extending
HTTP proxying (e.g. HTTP CONNECT) to support UDP traffic, motivated by the
growth of QUIC and WebRTC.  Since then, the people who expressed interest
have brainstormed some possible use cases and solutions.  I am emailing to
present the first of what I hope will be several drafts that we will
present on the topic and discuss at IETF 102.  This draft presents one
possible solution enabling HTTP proxying of UDP.

https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-schwartz-httpbis-helium-00.txt

Title:
   Hybrid Encapsulation Layer for IP and UDP Messages (HELIUM)
Abstract:
   HELIUM is a protocol that can be used to implement a UDP proxy, a
   VPN, or a hybrid of these.  It is intended to run over a reliable,
   secure substrate transport.  It can serve a variety of use cases, but
   its initial purpose is to enable HTTP proxies to forward non-TCP
   flows.

Questions and reviews much appreciated.

--Ben Schwartz

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/httpbisa/current/msg30667.html