Subject: HTTP core drafts 01

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 13:24:20 -0700

Hello HTTPbis WG,

You may have noticed that we submitted a set of drafts yesterday
reflecting the first step of reorganizing the six RFCs 723x into three
specifications on HTTP Semantics, HTTP Caching, and HTTP/1.1 Messaging.
[I actually tried getting that down to two, but merging caching didn't
seem to help right now -- we can revisit that later.]

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics/
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-cache/
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-messaging/

Note that conditional, range, and auth are now incorporated into
semantics.  Their drafts 01 are just tombstones, which seem to have
already moved to the IETF archive after their datatracker status
was updated.  Also, all of the architecture and routing discussion
in RFC7230 was moved from messaging to semantics, and redundant
content in the IANA considerations sections have been moved to
the defining sections to act as summary tables and extensibility
sections.

Our intent was to make as few content changes as possible while
moving the sections around.  There are a few commentary (cref)
additions that I made just to keep track of eventual changes,
but otherwise this is just existing text being moved around
(section by section, and in some cases sentence by sentence).
Deletions were limited to redundant text or forward references
that are no longer necessary.

This was a lot harder than it looks.

To keep track of things and avoid losing content, I made a parallel
set of rearrangements to the original RFC text files.  These are at

  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/frankenRFC723x_sem.txt
  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/frankenRFC723x_cache.txt
  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/frankenRFC723x_msg.txt

and post-rearranged side-by-side text diffs since RFC723x are at

  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_semantics_01.html
  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_cache_01.html
  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_messaging_01.html

I am pretty sure that the above diffs are accurate, but if you really want
to check the non-reorganized diffs, see

  https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-messaging-01&url1=rfc7230
  https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-01&url1=rfc7231
  https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-conditional-01&url1=rfc7232
  https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-range-01&url1=rfc7233
  https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-01&url1=rfc7234
  https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-auth-01&url1=rfc7235

(see also Julian's list at <https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/#wg-httpbis>).

Our next step will be to start working through the issues list at

  https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues

We will continue tracking changes via github.  So, if you see
something wrong (or remember something you wanted to change in
the RFCs), please be sure to search the issues list, make comments,
submit a PR, or add new issues where appropriate.  If you don't want
to submit via github, please send comments in an email here and
we will transfer them when appropriate.

Once again, our work area is at

  https://github.com/httpwg/http-core

and the whole set of live drafts are available from

  http://httpwg.org/http-core/

Cheers,

....Roy Fielding (with Mark Nottingham and Julian Reschke)

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 22:43:02 +0200

Hi Roy, Julian, Mark,

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 01:24:20PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
(...)
> This was a lot harder than it looks.

I hope not because I already imagine it extremely hard. I *really*
appreciate the efforts you guys have been making to keep the content
as much trackable as possible across moves, thus keeping the integrity
of the outcome of several years of discussions that led to 723x. I'm
pretty sure that your efforts will pay off sooner or later.

So a big thanks for doing this!
Willy

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 21:23:58 +0000 (UTC)

> I hope not because I already imagine it extremely hard. I *really*

Willy stole my reply. Thank you!

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 23:35:29 +0000

+1!

-----Original Message-----
From: Willy Tarreau [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2018 1:43 PM
To: Roy T. Fielding <[email-masked]>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HTTP core drafts 01

Hi Roy, Julian, Mark,

> Our intent was to make as few content changes as possible while moving 
> the sections around.  There are a few commentary (cref) additions that 
> I made just to keep track of eventual changes, but otherwise this is 
> just existing text being moved around (section by section, and in some 
> cases sentence by sentence).
> Deletions were limited to redundant text or forward references that 
> are no longer necessary.
> 

I hope not because I already imagine it extremely hard. I *really* appreciate the efforts you guys have been making to keep the content as much trackable as possible across moves, thus keeping the integrity of the outcome of several years of discussions that led to 723x. I'm pretty sure that your efforts will pay off sooner or later.

---

From: Craig Pratt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 18:09:16 -0700

Yeah - I've done enough code merges in
my life to know what a pain this must be. My sympathies.

As mentioned at the last meeting, I'll go through the Range text
and see if anything jumps out at me from the "assimilation"...

cp

On 6/1/18 1:24 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

Hello HTTPbis WG,

Cheers,

--

craig pratt

caspia consulting

[email-masked]

503.706.2933

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 13:14:03 +0200

Hello HTTPbis WG,

we've had the first set of re-organized drafts out for a few weeks now.

As a next step, we have:

- updated all references where applicable, and

- compiled a list of existing errata 
(<https://httpwg.org/http-core/httpbis-errata-status.html>), and opened 
corresponding github issues

It would be good to get feedback on the errata we have resolved, and 
also on those which are waiting for a fix.

Links:

Editor's drafts:

https://httpwg.org/http-core/draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-latest.html
https://httpwg.org/http-core/draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-latest.html
https://httpwg.org/http-core/draft-ietf-httpbis-messaging-latest.html

Diffs from -01:

https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-messaging-latest-from-previous.diff.html
https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-latest-from-previous.diff.html
https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-latest-from-previous.diff.html

Best regards, Julian