Subject: Re: Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-h2-websockets-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 09:55:55 +0200

Hi Mirja,  Thanks for the review.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 11:04 PM, Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
>
> One high level question: You say in the intro that a mechanism to
> transition
> from http to TCP is needed while the proposed mechanism does actually not
> "transition" but use websockets OVER http. Was just opening a second TCP
> connection considered as an alternative?
>
>
Something similar to what you describe is the status quo - that is when a
client has an existing h2 connection and needs websockets it opens a new h1
connection (which then transitions out of http into 6455 on tcp).

There are several sub optimalities here, but the one that is the driver for
this draft is the websocket operational community reasonably wants a path
to move off of h1 dependency (this is frequently articulated as websockets
being left behind) and these additional connections.

hth