Subject: Adam Roach's Yes on draft-ietf-httpbis-rand-access-live-03: (with COMMENT)

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 23:24:19 -0700

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-httpbis-rand-access-live-03: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-rand-access-live/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone who worked on this document. I have two rather small
comments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am quite uncomfortable with the nebulous definition of the term "Very Large
Value" in this document. Given that "Very Large Values" are intended to serve as
a negotiation mechanism, I would strongly suggest that a more formal definition
of that term be added to this document (e.g., a client should send "a value of
at least 2^^39 or twice the value of the end of the randomly accessible byte
range, whichever is larger")

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

§1.1:

>  The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
>  "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
>  document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119].

This document does not use these words in capitalized form. Especially in light
of RFC 8174, this is likely to cause confusion. If the intention is to assign
RFC 2119 definitions to the non-uppercased "must", "should", and "may" usage
in this document, please capitalize those terms and update the boilerplate to
that in RFC 8174. Otherwise, please remove this section.