Subject: STOP_SENDING + reordering

From: Ryan Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:02:41 -0800

The section on STOP_SENDING says:

   Receipt of a STOP_SENDING frame is only valid for a send stream that
   exists and is not in the "Ready" state (see Section 3.1).  Receiving
   a STOP_SENDING frame for a send stream that is "Ready" or non-
   existent MUST be treated as a connection error of type
   PROTOCOL_VIOLATION.

However, I'm not sure I'm clear on what should be done in the face of
reordering, but maybe this is obvious. Say an HTTP client sends a request.
This sends a STREAM frame to the server. This move the stream to the "Send"
state. Then, the user cancels the request. So the client sends a RST_STREAM
and a STOP_SENDING in order to completely nuke the stream. However, both
the RST_STREAM and STREAM frames are lost/reordered such that the
STOP_SENDING is the first frame to arrive at the server. As such, the
stream is non-existent I think, which is prohibited. But maybe I'm not
thinking about this the right way?

Ryan

---

From: Ryan Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:11:18 -0800

Sigh, wrong list. Ignore me.