Subject: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7232 (6080)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 06:39:37 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7232,
"Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Conditional Requests".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6080

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Michael Osipov <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.2

Original Text
-------------
   If-None-Match can also be used with a value of "*" to prevent an
   unsafe request method (e.g., PUT) from inadvertently modifying an
   existing representation of the target resource when the client
   believes that the resource does not have a current representation
   (Section 4.2.1 of [RFC7231]).  This is a variation on the "lost
   update" problem that might arise if more than one client attempts to
   create an initial representation for the target resource.

Corrected Text
--------------

Notes
-----
Please clarify what is supposed to happen when If-None-Match is used with unsafe methods and the value is NOT "*". Should the server respond with BAD_REQUEST?

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7232 (draft-ietf-httpbis-p4-conditional-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Conditional Requests
Publication Date    : June 2014
Author(s)           : R. Fielding, Ed., J. Reschke, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis APP
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 15:41:35 +0200

On 08.04.2020 15:39, RFC Errata System wrote:
> ...

This is not an erratum.

Please open a ticket at <https://github.com/httpwg/http-core>.

Best regards, Julian