Subject: Fwd: Working Group Last Call: QUIC protocol drafts

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 03:08:10 +0100

Hello folks,

Please see the forwarded Working Group Last Call announcement for the QUIC
protocol drafts.

The QUIC WG will only consider feedback directed towards it so please do
not respond to this thread. Instead, review comments need to be opened on
the GitHub repo or sent to the QUIC mailing list as described in the
guidance below.

Cheers,
Lars, Lucas and Mark
QUIC WG Chairs

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 2:36 AM
Subject: Working Group Last Call: QUIC protocol drafts
To: QUIC WG <[email-masked]>

Hello,

After more than three and a half years and substantial discussion, all 845
of the design issues raised against the QUIC protocol drafts have gained
consensus or have a proposed resolution. In that time the protocol has been
considerably transformed; it has become more secure, much more widely
implemented, and has been shown to be interoperable. Both the Chairs and
the Editors feel that it is ready to proceed in standardisation.

Therefore, this email announces a Working Group Last Call (WGLC) for the
following QUIC documents:

* QUIC Transport
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-transport-29

* QUIC Loss Detection and Congestion Control
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-recovery-29

* Using TLS to Secure QUIC
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-tls-29

* Version-Independent Properties of QUIC
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-invariants-09

* HTTP/3
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-http-29

* QPACK Header Compression for HTTP/3
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-qpack-16

The WGLC will run for four weeks, ending on 8 July 2020.

As a reminder, we have been operating under the Late-Stage Process; see
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#late-stage-process.
In theory, this means that the contents of the drafts above already have
consensus. However, the Chairs would like to actively reaffirm that
consensus and start the process of wider review through a formal WGLC.

Please review the documents above and open issues for your review comments
in our repository at https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts. You may also
send comments to [email-masked].

Issues raised during WGLC will be handled in accordance with the Late-Stage
Process defined in the Contribution Guidelines (see link above). Please
note that design issues that revisit a topic where there's already declared
consensus (see
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues?q=is%3Aclosed+label%3Ahas-consensus)
need to provide compelling reasons to warrant reopening the discussion.

As part of this WGLC, we seek consensus on the remaining open design issue
#3661 “Include epoch in the AAD or the nonce?” (
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3661). The proposed resolution
for this issue is to close with no action, which means that the drafts
above already reflect this emerging consensus.

Subject to the feedback received during this WGLC, a subsequent smaller
WGLC may be run in the near future to confirm any changes to the drafts
made between now and then.

The Applicability and Manageability drafts have some dependencies on the
core drafts, so we'll run separate WGLCs for them.

Cheers,

Lars, Lucas and Mark
QUIC WG Chairs