Subject: Spec v Practice, URI wildcard

From: Eric J Bowman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 17:03:48 -0700

How many webservers implement the URI wildcard, i.e.

http://example.com/*

I've only ever implemented for OPTIONS requests. Is this obsolete, are there successful use-cases, or do folks just not bother with this?

-Eric

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 04:09:00 +0200

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 05:03:48PM -0700, Eric J Bowman wrote:
> I've only ever implemented for OPTIONS requests. Is this obsolete, are there
> successful use-cases, or do folks just not bother with this?

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the URI wildcard is in fact "http://example.com"
(with no trailing slash) which is turned to "*" when sent as a path component
with the OPTIONS method.

At least H2 agents are required to use "*" in the path for empty paths
components (RFC7540#8.1.2.3) so it's likely that most H2 agents implement
it.

FWIW I've seen it work fine for upgrades at least.

Willy