Subject: Integrated Management '99 Call for papers

From: IM99 conference <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:19:13 -0400 (EDT)

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

              _/       _/      _/     _/   _/_/_/_/       _/_/_/_/
             _/       _/_/  _/_/     _/  _/      _/     _/      _/
            _/       _/ _/_/ _/    _/   _/      _/     _/      _/
           _/       _/  _/  _/           _/_/_/_/       _/_/_/_/
          _/       _/      _/                 _/             _/
         _/       _/      _/          _/     _/      _/     _/
        _/       _/      _/            _/_/_/         _/_/_/

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
                                                                    _/
 IFIP/IEEE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON INTEGRATED NETWORK MANAGEMENT _/
                                                                   _/
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
   _/
  _/         C A L L   F O R   P A R T I C I P A T I O N
 _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
                                                             _/
                   Boston Park Plaza Hotel                  _/
                     Boston, Mass., USA                    _/
                       May 10-14, 1999                    _/
                                                         _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

   "DISTRIBUTED MANAGEMENT FOR THE NETWORKED MILLENNIUM"

See http://www.comsoc.org/confs/im/99 for latest information

The Sixth IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network
Management (IM '99) will be held May 10-14, 1999 in Boston,
Massachusetts, USA. The symposium is sponsored by the International
Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) Working Group 6.6 on
Network Management for Communication Networks, and by the IEEE
Communications Society Technical Committee on Network Operations and
Management (CNOM).

The sixth in a distinguished series, IM '99 will build upon the
successes of ISINM '89, '91, '93, '95 and IM '97 in serving as the
primary forum for technical exchange for the research, standards,
development, systems integrator, vendor and user communities in the
area of network and distributed systems management.

The next millennium will be a network age with ubiquitous network access
from, work, home, schools, libraries and public information kiosks.
Portable networked computers will be widespread permitting communication
and multi-media interaction, while on the move. The wide distribution of
computing and communication facilities between organisational boundaries
and multiple countries will introduce many new management challenges.
Management in this new information era will need to support the
integration of data and telecommunications networks, from narrowband to
broadband, terrestrial to satellite, fixed to mobile and uni-media to
multi-media. The next symposium is expected to provide a shift of emphasis
towards electronic commerce, federated systems, and end-to-end management
of distributed services.

This symposia is the premier biannual event where the latest research and
industrial solutions for integrated management of networks and distributed
systems are presented in technical sessions and vendor exhibits.  We
intend to introduce a new track of industrial experience to permit the
sharing of the lessons learnt from case studies by the user or vendor
community.

The IM '99 symposium will be organized to provide the highest quality
professional event of the year through active participation on the Program
Committee of many of the most respected people in the fields of network
and distributed systems management, and a stringent review process.

A limited number of stipends will be available to those unable to obtain
funding to attend the conference. Students whose papers are accepted and
who will present the paper themselves are encouraged to apply if such
assistance is needed. Requests for stipends should be addressed to the
Program Co-Chair responsible for the requestor's region. Please also note
that a limited number of IEEE Student Travel Grants may be available for
student authors from *outside North America* who will be presenting
papers.

TECHNICAL PROGRAM
-----------------

Authors are invited to submit unpublished papers, as well as proposals
for tutorials, panel discussions, poster demonstrations, or
birds-of-a-feather sessions (informal discussion groups) in the following
topic areas. Other topics relevant to management are also welcome and we
particularly encourage industrial papers on case studies and experiences
which emphasise the lessons learnt.

 - Distributed Systems and Applications Management
 - New Enabling Management Platforms (CORBA, DCOM, Java,etc.)
 - Using the Web for Management
 - Management Tools and Applications
 - Integration of Network Control and Management
 - Network Design Tools and Capacity Planning
 - Active Network Management
 - Intelligent Agent Technology
 - Interoperability and Cooperative Control
 - Management of the Internet, Intranets and the Web
 - Management of Electronic Commerce
 - Management of Mobile Systems and Networks
 - Personal Communications Services Management
 - Multimedia and Telecommunication Service Management
 - Information Models
 - Policy-Driven Management
 - Monitoring, Event and Fault Handling
 - Quality of Service Management
 - Security Management
 - Open Network Control
 - Standards Frameworks and Issues: OSI, SNMP, TMN, TINA, ODP etc.
 - Case Studies and Experiences
 - User and Service Profile Management
 - Human Factors, User Interfaces and Virtual Reality for Management

Papers are to be submitted in English.

The cover page should indicate whether it is a research or experiences
paper; and include paper title, brief abstract, list of key-words,
author(s) full name(s), affiliation(s) and complete address(es), telephone
number(s) and electronic mail address(es).

All paper submissions will be carefully reviewed by at least three
international experts and returned to the author(s) with comments to
ensure high quality. The authors of accepted papers will receive the
suggested modifications for inclusion in the widely distributed,
hard-bound Symposium Proceedings. The final camera-ready copy should be no
longer than 12 single-spaced pages. Final papers arriving too late will be
removed from the program. The authors of accepted papers must guarantee
that their paper will be presented at the symposium.

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

The front page of the paper should contain author names and addresses,
an abstract and keywords indicating the paper topic area (preferably
from the above list), to be used in choosing referees.

ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION IS ADVISABLE. Authors are requested to submit
papers in PDF or postscript format via the web

 (instructions for electronic submissions are available at)
  http://nsm.research.bell-labs.com/~im99/SubmitPaper.html

or by email to Subrata Mazumdar at [email-masked].

For ALL electronic submissions the cover page of the paper should be
submitted using the on-line form available at
http://nsm.research.bell-labs.com/~im99/SubmitPaper.html
and and a printed copy posted to the appropriate Program Co-Chair.

Program Co-Chair: (Americas, Australia)
Subrata Mazumdar
Bell Laboratories
Room 4G-634
101 Crawfords Corner Road
Holmdel, New Jersey 07733-3030, USA
Email: [email-masked]

   OR

Program Co-Chair: (Europe, Asia, Africa)
Morris Sloman
Department of Computing
Imperial College of Science and Technology
180 Queen's Gate
London SW7 2BZ, UK
Email: [email-masked]

Deadline for Receipt of Papers:             July 1, 1998
Deadline for Receipt of Proposals for
Tutorials, BOFs, Panels and Posters      August 15, 1998
Notification of Acceptance Mailed:      November 4, 1998
Final Camera Ready Papers Due:         December 12, 1998

Poster presentations should be submitted to either of the Program
Co-Chairs.

VENDOR PROGRAM
--------------

The Symposium offers vendors the opportunity to demonstrate their network
and systems management products to leaders and innovators from around the
world. Various levels of participation are available. As a Symposia
Patron, you can present your products and services in our vendor showcase.
Symposia Patrons will also have an opportunity to make a product-related
presentation on recent technical advancements, product enhancements, or
corporate directions. The vendor showcase will be open during the three
days, of the symposium, in parallel with other sessions. For IM '99 we
are adding a lower cost vendor participation level designed for smaller
companies with innovative technologies. Cost will be saved through time-
shared demonstration facilities and displays.

Vendors interested in becoming Symposium Sponsors or participating in the
showcase should contact the vendor Co-Chairs:

Mark Sylor
Email: 	[email-masked]     Phone: 1-508-303-4262

Joe Hellerstein
Email: [email-masked]  Phone: +1 914 784 7506

TUTORIALS
---------

The symposium includes tutorials on the days before and after the
technical program. A proposal to present a tutorial should contain the
following information:

   Tutorial Title
   Names of Presenter(s)
   Summary of the contents: approximately 1-2 pages i.e. 500-1000 words
   Brief biography of the presenter(s): approximately half page
   If the tutorial or an earlier version of it has been given before
   please indicate the events and dates.

Information on suggested topic areas and guidelines
for submitting proposals can be found at
http://www.ctr.columbia.edu/im99/tutorials.

Proposals should be submitted to the Tutorial Chair:

Rolf Stadler      Email: [email-masked]

Deadline for Receipt of Proposals:             August 15, 1998

PANELS AND BIRDS-OF-A-FEATHER SESSIONS
---------------------------------------
Proposals for Panels and Birds-of-a-Feather Sessions should be
submitted to the Special Event Chair

Varoozh Harikian  Email: [email-masked]

Deadline for Receipt of Proposals              August 15, 1998

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
---------------------

General Chair:
    Seraphin B. Calo (SBC)
    IBM Research Division
    Thomas J. Watson Research Center
    P.O. Box 704
    Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA
    Email:  [email-masked]
    Tel: +1  914 784 7514    Fax: +1  914 784 6031

Technical Program Co-Chairs:
    Subrata Mazumdar, Bell Laboratories, USA
    Morris Sloman, Imperial College, UK

Vendor Co-Chairs:
    Mark Sylor, Concord Communications, USA
    Joe Hellerstein, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA

Tutorial Program Chair:
    Rolf Stadler, Columbia University, USA

Finance Chair:
    Yvonne Hildebrand, Copper Mountain Networks, USA

Special Events Chair:
    Varoozh Harikian, IBM International Education Centre, Belgium

Publicity:
    Nikos Anerousis, AT&T, USA

Local Arrangements:
    TBD

IEEE/ComSoc Coordinator:
    Tom Stevenson, IEEE Communications Society, USA

STEERING COMMITTEE:
------------------
    Branislav Meandzija, Next Level Systems, USA
    Wolfgang Zimmer, GMD FIRST, Germany
    Doug Zuckerman, Bellcore, USA

ADVISORY BOARD:
---------------
    Roberto Saracco, CSELT, Italy
    Makoto Yoshida, NTT-AT, Japan
    Jim Herman, Northeast Consulting Resources, USA
    Ken Lutz, Bellcore, USA

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
------------------
    Salah Aidarous, NEC, USA
    Anindo Banerjea,University of Toronto, Canada
    Subodh Bapat, Sun Microsystems, USA,
    Joseph Betser, Aerospace Corp., USA
    Jit Biswas, ISS, Singapore
    Laura Cerchio, CSELT, Italy
    Fawzi Daoud, University of Toronto, Canada
    William Donnelly, Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland
    Gabi Dreo-Rodosek, Leibniz Supercomputing Center, Germany
    Masayoshi Ejiri, Fujitsu, Japan
    Metin Feridun, IBM Zurich Research Laboratory, Switzerland
    Kurt Geihs, University of Frankfurt, Germany
    German Goldszmidt, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA
    Gita Gopal, HP Labs, USA
    Shri Goyal, GTE Labs, USA
    Sigmund Handelman, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA
    Masum Hasan, Lucent Bell Labs, USA
    Heinz-Gerd Hegering, University of Munich, Germany
    James Hong, POSTECH, Korea
    Gabriel Jakobson, GTE Labs,USA
    Gautam Kar, IBM Global Services, USA
    Irene Katzela, University of Toronto, Canada
    Wolfgang Kleinoeder, IBM Zurich Research Laboratory, Switzerland
    Aurel Lazar, Columbia University, USA
    Emil Lupu, Imperial College, UK
	Manu Malek, Lucent Bell Labs, USA
    Joe Martinka, HP Labs, USA
    George Mouradian, AT&T Labs, USA
    Shoichiro Nakai, NEC, Japan
    Giovanni Pacifici, IBM, USA
    Jong Tae Park, Kyungpook National University, Korea
    George Pavlou, University College London, UK
    Pradeep Ray, University of Western Sydney, Australia
    Jan Roos, University of Pretoria, South Africa
    Veli Sahin, SAMSUNG Telecommunications, USA
    Juergen Schoenwaelder, Technical University Braunschweig, Germany
    Adarshpal Sethi, University of Delaware, USA
    Cheenu Srinivasan, Lucent Bell Labs, USA
    Binay Sugla, Lucent Bell Labs, USA
    Liba Svobodova, IBM Zurich Research Laboratory, Switzerland
    Simon Towers, Microsoft, USA
    Fabienne Vincent-Franc, CNES, France
    Carlos Westphall, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brasil
    Felix Wu, NC State University, USA
    Yechiam Yemini, Columbia University, USA

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/