Subject: 802.1/p

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 14:35:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - 

What impact (if any) does the 802.1/p work have on IETF MIBs?  (A 
pointer would suit me fine.)

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked]      http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:06:28 -0700 (PDT)

> pointer would suit me fine.)

There are some MIB objects for counting traffic by 802.1p priority
level in the SMON MIB (latest draft expired while waiting to find a
reviewer, updated draft is supposed to be in the works).

The Bridge MIB WG is working on MIBs for managing 802.1p (now actually 
called 802.1d-1998) and 802.1q compliant bridges/switches.  Current
draft is draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-00.txt, though the editors are
working on updating this draft to reflect the results of last month's
interim meeting.

There is the general issue of how the maxPacket size increase for
tagged packets (802.3ac) impacts counters across several MIBs.  IEEE
just decided that packets with size from 64 to 1522 octets inclusive
would be counted as good and packets over 1522 octets would count as
oversize (regardless of whether they were tagged), even though packets 
from 1519 to 1522 octets without a tag are actually oversize packets.
This does leave some ambiguity as to what an increasing Oversize
counter on an agent means (is it counting "baby giants" or isn't it?)
SMON added a capabilities bit to indicate how it was counting these
packets.  The general feeling in L.A. seemed to be: count it as good
if you process it, or oversize if you drop it.  See the minutes from
the L.A. hubmib meeting:
  <ftp://ftp.rose.hp.com/pub/hubmib/minutes/ietf41/minutes.txt>

Hope this helps,
John