Subject: MAU-MIB draft pre-relase

From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 18:29:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am including a pre-release version of the MAU-MIB update to this
message for the WG to review.  I believe this incorporates the changes
we agreed to in L.A.  Andrew Smith began these changes, and sent me a
copy of a document with most of the MIB changes, so he deserves much
of the credit for this work.

A few outstanding issues:

1. Need to figure out where we should be using the standard, RFC
2119 definitions of MUST, SHOULD, MAY, etc., and capitalize
accordingly.

2. This draft still has the problem of mauMod's OID value having a
forward reference to snmpDot3MauMgt.  The way I previously
suggested fixing this won't work, since all of the compliance
definitions are declared below mauMod.  We probably need to ask
the advice of some SMI experts (Keith M., Dave P.) for the best
way of resolving this one.

For those who don't know what this is about, here is a little
background.  The MAU MIB was originally a SMIv1 MIB module (RFC
1515).  When it was converted to SMIv2 in RFC 2239, we needed to add a
MODULE-IDENTITY.  The OID assigned to the MODULE-IDENTITY depends on
snmpDot3MauMgt, but the SMI does not allow any definitions between the
IMPORTS and the MODULE-IDENTITY.  So the MODULE-IDENTITY OID value has
a forward reference.  However, many MIB compilers and loaders for MIB
browsers on the market use one-pass parsers, and cannot handle the
forward reference.  Andrew had mentioned that he would like to find a
way of fixing this.  However, at this point none of the options look
very promising.  We cannot remove mauMod, or change its value, since
other definitions depend on it.  We cannot move snmpDot3MauMgt before
mauMod, because RFC 1902 forbids it.  We appear to be hosed, unless
anyone else has an idea for how to fix this.

John

Hub MIB Working Group                                           A. Smith
INTERNET DRAFT PRE-RELEASE                        Extreme Networks, Inc.
                                                                J. Flick
                                                 Hewlett-Packard Company
                                                             K. de Graaf
                                                          Argon Networks
                                                            D. Romascanu
                                                             LANNET Ltd.
                                                             D. McMaster
                                                     Cisco Systems, Inc.
                                                           K. McCloghrie
                                                     Cisco Systems, Inc.
                                                              S. Roberts
                                                Farallon Computing, Inc.
                                                                May 1998

             Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3
               Medium Attachment Units (MAUs) using SMIv2

                      <INTERNET DRAFT PRE-RELEASE>

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   To view the entire list of current Internet-Drafts, please check the
   "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), ftp.nordu.net (Northern
   Europe), ftp.nis.garr.it (Southern Europe), munnari.oz.au (Pacific
   Rim), ftp.ietf.org (US East Coast), or ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1998).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management
   Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                  [Page 1]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

   the Internet community.  In particular, it defines objects for
   managing 10, 100 and 1000Mb/second Medium Attachment Units (MAUs)
   based on IEEE Draft P802.3/D4.2 Section 30, "10, 100 & 1000 Mb/s
   Management," March 1998.

   This memo does not specify a standard for the Internet community.
   Distribution of this memo is unlimited.  Please forward comments to
   [email-masked].

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction ...............................................    2
   2.  The SNMP Network Management Framework ......................    3
   2.1.  Object Definitions .......................................    3
   3.  Change Log .................................................    3
   4.  Overview ...................................................    4
   4.1.  Relationship to RFC 2239 .................................    4
   4.2.  Relationship to RFC 1515 .................................    5
   4.3.  MAU Management ...........................................    5
   4.4.  Relationship to Other MIBs ...............................    5
   4.4.1.  Relationship to the Interfaces MIB .....................    6
   4.4.2.  Relationship to the 802.3 Repeater MIB .................    6
   4.5.  Management of Internal MAUs ..............................    6
   5.  Definitions ................................................    6
   6.  Intellectual Property ......................................   47
   7.  Acknowledgements ...........................................   47
   8.  References .................................................   48
   9.  Security Considerations ....................................   50
   10  Authors' Addresses .........................................   50
   11.  Full Copyright Statement ..................................   51

1.  Introduction

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
   In particular, it defines objects for managing IEEE 802.3 Medium
   Attachment Units (MAUs).

   This memo also includes a MIB module.  This MIB module extends the
   list of managed objects specified in the earlier version of this MIB:
   RFC 2239 [18].

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [17].

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                  [Page 2]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

2.  The SNMP Network Management Framework

   The SNMP Network Management Framework presently consists of six major
   components.  They are:

   o    the overall architecture, described in RFC 2271 [12].

   o    the SMI, described in RFC 1902 [7], - the mechanisms used for
        describing and naming objects for the purpose of management.

   o    the MIB-II, STD 17, RFC 1213 [5], - the core set of managed
        objects for the Internet suite of protocols.

   o    the protocol, RFC 1157 [11] and/or RFC 1905 [10] and/or
        RFC 2272 [13] -- the protocol for accessing managed
        information.

   o    the user-based security model defined in RFC 2274 [15].

   o    the view-based access control model defined in RFC 2275 [16].

   Textual conventions are defined in RFC 1903 [8], and conformance
   statements are defined in RFC 1904 [9].  Common applications are
   defined in RFC 2273 [14].

   The Framework permits new objects to be defined for the purpose of
   experimentation and evaluation.

   This memo specifies a MIB module that is compliant to the SNMPv2 SMI.
   A semantically identical MIB conforming to the SNMPv1 SMI can be
   produced through the appropriate translation.

2.1.  Object Definitions

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  Objects in the MIB are
   defined using the subset of Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1) [4]
   defined in the SMI.  In particular, each object type is named by an
   OBJECT IDENTIFIER, an administratively assigned name.  The object
   type together with an object instance serves to uniquely identify a
   specific instantiation of the object.  For human convenience, we
   often use a textual string, termed the descriptor, to refer to the
   object type.

3.  Change Log

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                  [Page 3]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

   This section enumerates the changes made to RFC 2239 to produce this
   document.

      (1)   The MODULE-IDENTITY has been updated to reflect the changes
            in the MIB.

      (2)   OBJECT-IDENTITY definitions have been added for gigabit MAU
            types.

      (3)   The ifMauTypeList, ifMauAutoNegCapability,
            ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertised and ifMauAutoNegCapReceived
            objects have been deprecated and replaced by
            ifMauTypeListBits, ifMauAutoNegCapabilityBits,
            ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertisedBits and
            ifMauAutoNegCapReceivedBits.

      (4)   Two new objects, ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultAdvertised and
            ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultReceived have been added.

      (5)   Enumerations for 'offline' and 'autoNegError' have been
            added for the rpMauMediaAvailable and ifMauMediaAvailable
            objects.

      (6)   The mauIfGrp100Mbs and mauIfGrpAutoNeg object groups have
            been deprecated and replaced by mauIfGrpHighCapacity and
            mauIfGrpAutoNeg2.

      (7)   A new object group, mauIfGrpAutoNeg1000Mbps, has been added.

      (8)   The mauModIfCompl compliance has been deprecated and
            replaced by mauModIfCompl2.

      (9)   Added section on relationship to RFC 2239.

      (10)  Updated the SNMP Network Management Framework boilerplate.

      (11)  Refer to the Interfaces MIB, rather than the interfaces
            group of MIB-II.

      (12)  An intellectual property notice was added, as required by
            RFC 2026.

4.  Overview

4.1.  Relationship to RFC 2239

   This MIB is intended to be a superset of that defined by RFC 2239

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                  [Page 4]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

   [18], which will go to historic status.  This MIB includes all of the
   objects contained in that MIB, plus several new ones which provide
   additional capabilities.  Implementors are encouraged to support all
   applicable conformance groups in order to make the best use of the
   new functionality provided by this MIB.  The new objects provide
   management support for:

   o    management of 1000 Mb/s interface devices (but not 1000 Mb/s
        repeaters)

   o    management of PAUSE negotiation

   o    management of remote fault status

4.2.  Relationship to RFC 1515

   RFC 2239 was a replacement for RFC 1515 [19], which is now historic.
   RFC 2239 defined a superset of RFC 1515 which contained all of the
   objects defined in RFC 1515, plus several new ones which provided
   additional capabilities.  The new objects in RFC 2239 provided
   management support for:

   o    management of 100 Mb/s devices

   o    auto-negotiation on interface MAUs

   o    jack management

4.3.  MAU Management

   Instances of these object types represent attributes of an IEEE 802.3
   MAU.  Several types of MAUs are defined in the IEEE 802.3 CSMA/CD
   standard [1] and [2].  These MAUs may be connected to IEEE 802.3
   repeaters or to 802.3 (Ethernet-like) interfaces.  For convenience
   this document refers to these devices as "repeater MAUs" and
   "interface MAUs."

   The definitions presented here are based on Section 30.5, "Layer
   Management for 10, 100 & 1000 Mb/s Medium Attachment Units (MAUs)",
   and Annex 30A, "GDMO Specifications for 802.3 managed objects" of
   IEEE Draft P802.3z/D4.2 [2].  That specification includes definitions
   for 10Mb/s, 100Mb/s and 1000Mb/s devices.  This specification is
   intended to serve the same purpose: to provide for management of all
   types of Ethernet/802.3 MAUs.

4.4.  Relationship to Other MIBs

   It is assumed that an agent implementing this MIB will also implement

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                  [Page 5]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

   (at least) the 'system' group defined in MIB-II [5].  The following
   sections identify other MIBs that such an agent should implement.

4.4.1.  Relationship to the Interfaces MIB.

   The sections of this document that define interface MAU-related
   objects specify an extension to the Interfaces MIB [6].  An agent
   implementing these interface-MAU related objects MUST also implement
   the relevant groups of Interface MIB.  The value of the object
   ifMauIfIndex is the same as the value of 'ifIndex' used to
   instantiate the interface to which the given MAU is connected.

   It is expected that an agent implementing the interface-MAU related
   objects in this MIB will also implement the Ethernet-like Interfaces
   MIB, [20].

   (Note that repeater ports are not represented as interfaces in the
   Interface MIB.)

4.4.2.  Relationship to the 802.3 Repeater MIB

   The section of this document that defines repeater MAU-related
   objects specifies an extension to the 802.3 Repeater MIB defined in
   [3].  An agent implementing these repeater-MAU related objects MUST
   also implement the 802.3 Repeater MIB.

   The values of 'rpMauGroupIndex' and 'rpMauPortIndex' used to
   instantiate a repeater MAU variable shall be the same as the values
   of 'rptrPortGroupIndex' and 'rptrPortIndex' used to instantiate the
   port to which the given MAU is connected.

4.5.  Management of Internal MAUs

   In some situations, a MAU can be "internal" -- i.e., its
   functionality is implemented entirely within a device.  For example,
   a managed repeater may contain an internal repeater-MAU and/or an
   internal interface-MAU through which management communications
   originating on one of the repeater's external ports pass in order to
   reach the management agent associated with the repeater.  Such
   internal MAUs may or may not be managed.  If they are managed,
   objects describing their attributes should appear in the appropriate
   MIB subtree:  dot3RpMauBasicGroup for internal repeater-MAUs and
   dot3IfMauBasicGroup for internal interface-MAUs.

5.  Definitions

   MAU-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                  [Page 6]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

       IMPORTS
           Counter32, Integer32,
           OBJECT-TYPE, MODULE-IDENTITY, NOTIFICATION-TYPE,
           OBJECT-IDENTITY, mib-2
               FROM SNMPv2-SMI
           TruthValue, TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
               FROM SNMPv2-TC
           OBJECT-GROUP, MODULE-COMPLIANCE, NOTIFICATION-GROUP
               FROM SNMPv2-CONF;

       mauMod MODULE-IDENTITY
           LAST-UPDATED "9805050059Z"
           ORGANIZATION "IETF IEEE 802.3 Hub MIB Working Group"
           CONTACT-INFO
               "WG E-mail: [email-masked]

                    Chair: Dan Romascanu
                   Postal: LANNET Ltd.
                           Atidim Technology Park, Bldg. 3
                           Tel Aviv 61131
                           Israel
                      Tel: +972 3 645 8414, 6458458
                      Fax: +972 3 648 7146
                   E-mail: [email-masked]

                  Editors: Andrew Smith
                   Postal: Extreme Networks, Inc.
                           10460 Bandley Drive
                           Cupertino, CA 95014
                           USA
                      Tel: +1 408 342 0999
                   E-mail: [email-masked]

                           John Flick
                   Postal: Hewlett-Packard Company
                           8000 Foothills Blvd. M/S 5556
                           Roseville, CA 95747-5556
                           USA
                      Tel: +1 916 785 4018
                      Fax: +1 916 785 3583
                   E-mail: [email-masked]

                           Kathryn de Graaf
                   Postal: Argon Networks
                           25 Porter Road
                           Littleton, MA  01460
                           USA
                      Tel: +1 978 486 0665 x163

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                  [Page 7]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                      Fax: +1 978 486 9379
                   E-mail: [email-masked]"
           DESCRIPTION "Management information for 802.3 MAUs.

                       The following references are used throughout
                       this MIB module:

                       [IEEE 802.3 Std]
                          refers to IEEE 802.3/ISO 8802-3 Information
                          processing systems - Local area networks -
                          Part 3: Carrier sense multiple access with
                          collision detection (CSMA/CD) access method
                          and physical layer specifications (1993),
                          and to IEEE Draft P802.3z/D4.2 - MAC
                          Parameters, Physical Layer, Repeater and
                          Management Parameters for 1000 Mb/s
                          Operation, Supplement to IEEE Std 802.3,
                          March 1998.

                       [IEEE 802.3 Mgt]
                          refers to IEEE Draft P802.3z/D4.2 - 10 Mb/s,
                          100 Mb/s & 1000 Mb/s Management, Section 30 -
                          Supplement to IEEE Std 802.3."

           REVISION    "9805050059Z"
           DESCRIPTION "Updated to include support for 1000 Mb/sec
                       MAUs and flow control negotiation."

           REVISION    "9710310000Z"
           DESCRIPTION "Version published as RFC 2239."

           ::= { snmpDot3MauMgt 6 }

       snmpDot3MauMgt OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { mib-2 26 }

       -- textual conventions

       JackType ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Common enumeration values for repeater
                       and interface MAU jack types."
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           other(1),
                           rj45(2),
                           rj45S(3), -- rj45 shielded
                           db9(4),
                           bnc(5),

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                  [Page 8]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                           fAUI(6),  -- female aui
                           mAUI(7),  -- male aui
                           fiberSC(8),
                           fiberMIC(9),
                           fiberST(10),
                           telco(11)
                       }

       dot3RpMauBasicGroup
           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { snmpDot3MauMgt 1 }
       dot3IfMauBasicGroup
           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { snmpDot3MauMgt 2 }
       dot3BroadMauBasicGroup
           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { snmpDot3MauMgt 3 }

       dot3IfMauAutoNegGroup
           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { snmpDot3MauMgt 5 }

       -- object identities for MAU types
       --  (see rpMauType and ifMauType for usage)

       dot3MauType
           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { snmpDot3MauMgt 4 }

       dot3MauTypeAUI OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "no internal MAU, view from AUI"
           ::= { dot3MauType 1 }

       dot3MauType10Base5 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "thick coax MAU (per 802.3 section 8)"
           ::= { dot3MauType 2 }

       dot3MauTypeFoirl OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "FOIRL MAU (per 802.3 section 9.9)"
           ::= { dot3MauType 3 }

       dot3MauType10Base2 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "thin coax MAU (per 802.3 section 10)"
           ::= { dot3MauType 4 }

       dot3MauType10BaseT OBJECT-IDENTITY

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                  [Page 9]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "UTP MAU (per 802.3 section 14)"
           ::= { dot3MauType 5 }

       dot3MauType10BaseFP OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "passive fiber MAU (per 802.3 section 16)"
           ::= { dot3MauType 6 }

       dot3MauType10BaseFB OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "sync fiber MAU (per 802.3 section 17)"
           ::= { dot3MauType 7 }

       dot3MauType10BaseFL OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "async fiber MAU (per 802.3 section 18)"
           ::= { dot3MauType 8 }

       dot3MauType10Broad36 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "broadband DTE MAU (per 802.3 section 11).
                       Note that 10BROAD36 MAUs can be attached to
                       interfaces but not to repeaters."
           ::= { dot3MauType 9 }

       ------ new since RFC 1515:

       dot3MauType10BaseTHD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "UTP MAU (per 802.3 section 14), half duplex
                       mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 10 }

       dot3MauType10BaseTFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "UTP MAU (per 802.3 section 14), full duplex
                       mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 11 }

       dot3MauType10BaseFLHD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "async fiber MAU (per 802.3 section 18), half
                       duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 12 }

       dot3MauType10BaseFLFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 10]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

           DESCRIPTION "async fiber MAU (per 802.3 section 18), full
                       duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 13 }

       dot3MauType100BaseT4 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "4 pair categ. 3 UTP (per 802.3 section 23)"
           ::= { dot3MauType 14 }

       dot3MauType100BaseTXHD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "2 pair categ. 5 UTP (per 802.3 section 25),
                       half duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 15 }

       dot3MauType100BaseTXFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "2 pair categ. 5 UTP (per 802.3 section 25),
                       full duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 16 }

       dot3MauType100BaseFXHD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "X fiber over PMT (per 802.3 section 26), half
                       duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 17 }

       dot3MauType100BaseFXFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "X fiber over PMT (per 802.3 section 26), full
                       duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 18 }

       dot3MauType100BaseT2HD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "2 pair categ. 3 UTP (per 802.3 section 32),
                       half duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 19 }

       dot3MauType100BaseT2FD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "2 pair categ. 3 UTP (per 802.3 section 32),
                       full duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 20 }

       ------ new since RFC 2239:

       dot3MauType1000BaseXHD OBJECT-IDENTITY

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 11]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "PCS/PMA (per 802.3 section 36), unknown PMD,
                       half duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 21 }

       dot3MauType1000BaseXFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "PCS/PMA (per 802.3 section 36), unknown PMD,
                       full duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 22 }

       dot3MauType1000BaseLXHD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Fiber over long-wavelength laser (per 802.3
                       section 38), half duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 23 }

       dot3MauType1000BaseLXFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Fiber over long-wavelength laser (per 802.3
                       section 38), full duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 24 }

       dot3MauType1000BaseSXHD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Fiber over short-wavelength laser (per 802.3
                       section 38), half duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 25 }

       dot3MauType1000BaseSXFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Fiber over short-wavelength laser (per 802.3
                       section 38), full duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 26 }

       dot3MauType1000BaseCXHD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Copper over 150-Ohm balanced cable (per 802.3
                       section 39), half duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 27 }

       dot3MauType1000BaseCXFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Copper over 150-Ohm balanced cable (per 802.3
                       section 39), full duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 28 }

       dot3MauType1000BaseTHD OBJECT-IDENTITY

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 12]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Four-pair Category 5 UTP (per 802.3 section
                       40), half duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 29 }

       dot3MauType1000BaseTFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Four-pair Category 5 UTP (per 802.3 section
                       40), full duplex mode"
           ::= { dot3MauType 30 }

       --
       -- The Basic Repeater MAU Table
       --

       rpMauTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF RpMauEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Table of descriptive and status information
                       about the MAU(s) attached to the ports of a
                       repeater."
           ::= { dot3RpMauBasicGroup 1 }

       rpMauEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      RpMauEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "An entry in the table, containing information
                       about a single MAU."
           INDEX       { rpMauGroupIndex,
                         rpMauPortIndex,
                         rpMauIndex
                       }
           ::= { rpMauTable 1 }

       RpMauEntry ::=
           SEQUENCE {
               rpMauGroupIndex                     Integer32,
               rpMauPortIndex                      Integer32,
               rpMauIndex                          Integer32,
               rpMauType                           OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
               rpMauStatus                         INTEGER,
               rpMauMediaAvailable                 INTEGER,
               rpMauMediaAvailableStateExits       Counter32,
               rpMauJabberState                    INTEGER,
               rpMauJabberingStateEnters           Counter32,

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 13]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

               rpMauFalseCarriers                  Counter32
       }

       rpMauGroupIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable uniquely identifies the group
                       containing the port to which the MAU described
                       by this entry is connected.

                       Note:  In practice, a group will generally be
                       a field-replaceable unit (i.e., module, card,
                       or board) that can fit in the physical system
                       enclosure, and the group number will correspond
                       to a number marked on the physical enclosure.

                       The group denoted by a particular value of this
                       object is the same as the group denoted by the
                       same value of rptrGroupIndex."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 1 }

       rpMauPortIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable uniquely identifies the repeater
                       port within group rpMauGroupIndex to which the
                       MAU described by this entry is connected."
           REFERENCE   "Reference RFC 1516, rptrPortIndex."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 2 }

       rpMauIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable uniquely identifies the MAU
                       described by this entry from among other
                       MAUs connected to the same port
                       (rpMauPortIndex)."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.1, aMAUID."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 3 }

       rpMauType OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This object identifies the MAU type.  An

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 14]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       initial set of MAU types are defined above.  The
                       assignment of OBJECT IDENTIFIERs to new types of
                       MAUs is managed by the IANA.  If the MAU type is
                       unknown, the object identifier

                       unknownMauType OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { 0 0 }

                       is returned.  Note that unknownMauType is a
                       syntactically valid object identifier, and any
                       conformant implementation of ASN.1 and the BER
                       must be able to generate and recognize this
                       value."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.2, aMAUType."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 4 }

       rpMauStatus OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           other(1),
                           unknown(2),
                           operational(3),
                           standby(4),
                           shutdown(5),
                           reset(6)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The current state of the MAU.  This object may
                       be implemented as a read-only object by those
                       agents and MAUs that do not implement software
                       control of the MAU state.  Some agents may not
                       support setting the value of this object to some
                       of the enumerated values.

                       The value other(1) is returned if the MAU is in
                       a state other than one of the states 2 through
                       6.

                       The value unknown(2) is returned when the MAU's
                       true state is unknown; for example, when it is
                       being initialized.

                       A MAU in the operational(3) state is fully
                       functional, operates, and passes signals to its
                       attached DTE or repeater port in accordance to
                       its specification.

                       A MAU in standby(4) state forces DI and CI to
                       idle and the media transmitter to idle or fault,

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 15]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       if supported.  Standby(4) mode only applies to
                       link type MAUs.  The state of
                       rpMauMediaAvailable is unaffected.

                       A MAU in shutdown(5) state assumes the same
                       condition on DI, CI, and the media transmitter
                       as though it were powered down or not connected.
                       The MAU may return other(1) value for the
                       rpMauJabberState and rpMauMediaAvailable objects
                       when it is in this state.  For an AUI, this
                       state will remove power from the AUI.

                       Setting this variable to the value reset(6)
                       resets the MAU in the same manner as a
                       power-off, power-on cycle of at least one-half
                       second would.  The agent is not required to
                       return the value reset (6).

                       Setting this variable to the value
                       operational(3), standby(4), or shutdown(5)
                       causes the MAU to assume the respective state
                       except that setting a mixing-type MAU or an AUI
                       to standby(4) will cause the MAU to enter the
                       shutdown state."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.7, aMAUAdminState,
                       30.5.1.2.2, acMAUAdminControl, and 30.5.1.2.1,
                       acRESETMAU."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 5 }

       rpMauMediaAvailable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           other(1),
                           unknown(2),
                           available(3),
                           notAvailable(4),
                           remoteFault(5),
                           invalidSignal(6),
                           remoteJabber(7),
                           remoteLinkLoss(8),
                           remoteTest(9),
                           offline(10),
                           autoNegError(11)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "If the MAU is a link or fiber type (FOIRL,
                       10BASE-T, 10BASE-F) then this is equivalent to
                       the link test fail state/low light function.

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 16]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       For an AUI or a coax (including broadband) MAU
                       this indicates whether or not loopback is
                       detected on the DI circuit.  The value of this
                       attribute persists between packets for MAU types
                       AUI, 10BASE5, 10BASE2, 10BROAD36, and 10BASE-FP.

                       The value other(1) is returned if the
                       mediaAvailable state is not one of 2 through 6.

                       The value unknown(2) is returned when the MAU's
                       true state is unknown; for example, when it is
                       being initialized.  At power-up or following a
                       reset, the value of this attribute will be
                       unknown for AUI, coax, and 10BASE-FP MAUs.  For
                       these MAUs loopback will be tested on each
                       transmission during which no collision is
                       detected.  If DI is receiving input when DO
                       returns to IDL after a transmission and there
                       has been no collision during the transmission
                       then loopback will be detected.  The value of
                       this attribute will only change during
                       non-collided transmissions for AUI, coax, and
                       10BASE-FP MAUs.

                       For 100Mbps and 1000Mbps MAUs, the enumerations
                       match the states within the respective link
                       integrity state diagrams, fig 32-16, 23-12 and
                       24-15 of sections 32, 23 and 24 of [2].  Any MAU
                       which implements management of auto-negotiation
                       will map remote fault indication to remote
                       fault.

                       The value available(3) indicates that the link,
                       light, or loopback is normal.  The value
                       notAvailable(4) indicates link loss, low light,
                       or no loopback.

                       The value remoteFault(5) indicates that a fault
                       has been detected at the remote end of the link.
                       This value applies to 10BASE-FB, 100BASE-T4 Far
                       End Fault Indication and non-specified remote
                       faults from a system running auto-negotiation.
                       The values remoteJabber(7), remoteLinkLoss(8),
                       and remoteTest(9) should be used instead of
                       remoteFault(5) where the reason for remote fault
                       is identified in the remote signaling protocol.

                       The value invalidSignal(6) indicates that an

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 17]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       invalid signal has been received from the other
                       end of the link.  InvalidSignal(6) applies only
                       to MAUs of type 10BASE-FB.

                       Where an IEEE Std 802.3u-1995 clause 22 MII
                       is present, a logic one in the remote fault bit
                       (reference section 22.2.4.2.8 of that document)
                       maps to the value remoteFault(5), and a logic
                       zero in the link status bit (reference section
                       22.2.4.2.10 of that document) maps to the value
                       notAvailable(4).  The value notAvailable(4)
                       takes precedence over the value remoteFault(5).

                       Any MAU that implements management of clause 37
                       Auto-Negotiation will map the received Remote
                       Fault (RF1 and RF2) bit values for Offline to
                       offline(10), Link Failure to remoteFault(5) and
                       Auto-Negotiation Error to autoNegError(11)."

           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.4, aMediaAvailable."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 6 }

       rpMauMediaAvailableStateExits OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of the number of times that
                       rpMauMediaAvailable for this MAU instance leaves
                       the state available(3)."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.5,
                       aLoseMediaCounter."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 7 }

       rpMauJabberState OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           other(1),
                           unknown(2),
                           noJabber(3),
                           jabbering(4)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The value other(1) is returned if the jabber
                       state is not 2, 3, or 4.  The agent must always
                       return other(1) for MAU type dot3MauTypeAUI.

                       The value unknown(2) is returned when the MAU's
                       true state is unknown; for example, when it is

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 18]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       being initialized.

                       If the MAU is not jabbering the agent returns
                       noJabber(3).  This is the 'normal' state.

                       If the MAU is in jabber state the agent returns
                       the jabbering(4) value."
           REFERENCE "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.6,
                     aJabber.jabberFlag."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 8 }

       rpMauJabberingStateEnters OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of the number of times that
                       mauJabberState for this MAU instance enters the
                       state jabbering(4).  For MAUs of type
                       dot3MauTypeAUI, dot3MauType100BaseT4,
                       dot3MauType100BaseTX, dot3MauType100BaseFX and
                       all 1000Mbps types, this counter will always
                       indicate zero."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.6,
                       aJabber.jabberCounter."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 9 }

       rpMauFalseCarriers OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of the number of false carrier events
                       during IDLE in 100BASE-X links.  This counter
                       does not increment at the symbol rate.  It can
                       increment after a valid carrier completion at a
                       maximum rate of once per 100 ms until the next
                       carrier event.

                       This counter increments only for MAUs of type
                       dot3MauType100BaseT4, dot3MauType100BaseTX, and
                       dot3MauType100BaseFX and all 1000Mbps types.
                       For all other MAU types, this counter will
                       always indicate zero.

                       The approximate minimum time for rollover of
                       this counter is 7.4 hours."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.10, aFalseCarriers."
           ::= { rpMauEntry 10 }

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 19]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

       -- The rpJackTable applies to MAUs attached to repeaters
       -- which have one or more external jacks (connectors).

       rpJackTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF RpJackEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Information about the external jacks attached
                       to MAUs attached to the ports of a repeater."
           ::= { dot3RpMauBasicGroup 2 }

       rpJackEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      RpJackEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "An entry in the table, containing information
                       about a particular jack."
           INDEX       { rpMauGroupIndex,
                         rpMauPortIndex,
                         rpMauIndex,
                         rpJackIndex
                       }
           ::= { rpJackTable 1 }

       RpJackEntry ::=
           SEQUENCE {
               rpJackIndex                         Integer32,
               rpJackType                          JackType
           }

       rpJackIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable uniquely identifies the jack
                       described by this entry from among other jacks
                       attached to the same MAU (rpMauIndex)."
           ::= { rpJackEntry 1 }

       rpJackType OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      JackType
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The jack connector type, as it appears on the
                       outside of the system."
           ::= { rpJackEntry 2 }

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 20]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

       --
       -- The Basic Interface MAU Table
       --

       ifMauTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF IfMauEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Table of descriptive and status information
                       about MAU(s) attached to an interface."
           ::= { dot3IfMauBasicGroup 1 }

       ifMauEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      IfMauEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "An entry in the table, containing information
                       about a single MAU."
           INDEX       { ifMauIfIndex,
                         ifMauIndex
                       }
           ::= { ifMauTable 1 }

       IfMauEntry ::=
           SEQUENCE {
               ifMauIfIndex                        Integer32,
               ifMauIndex                          Integer32,
               ifMauType                           OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
               ifMauStatus                         INTEGER,
               ifMauMediaAvailable                 INTEGER,
               ifMauMediaAvailableStateExits       Counter32,
               ifMauJabberState                    INTEGER,
               ifMauJabberingStateEnters           Counter32,
               ifMauFalseCarriers                  Counter32,
               ifMauTypeList                       Integer32,
               ifMauDefaultType                    OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
               ifMauAutoNegSupported               TruthValue,
               ifMauTypeListBits                   BITS
           }

       ifMauIfIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable uniquely identifies the interface
                       to which the MAU described by this entry is
                       connected."
           REFERENCE   "RFC 1213, ifIndex"

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 21]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

           ::= { ifMauEntry 1 }

       ifMauIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable uniquely identifies the MAU
                       described by this entry from among other MAUs
                       connected to the same interface (ifMauIfIndex)."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.1, aMAUID."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 2 }

       ifMauType OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This object identifies the 10 or 100 Mb/s
                       baseband or broadband MAU type.  An initial set
                       of MAU types are defined above.  The assignment
                       of OBJECT IDENTIFIERs to new types of MAUs is
                       managed by the IANA.  If the MAU type is
                       unknown, the object identifier

                       unknownMauType OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { 0 0 }

                       is returned.  Note that unknownMauType is a
                       syntactically valid object identifier, and any
                       conformant implementation of ASN.1 and the BER
                       must be able to generate and recognize this
                       value.

                       This object represents the operational type of
                       the MAU, as determined by either (1) the result
                       of the auto-negotiation function or (2) if
                       auto-negotiation is not enabled or is not
                       implemented for this MAU, by the value of the
                       object ifMauDefaultType.  In case (2), a set to
                       the object ifMauDefaultType will force the MAU
                       into the new operating mode."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.2, aMAUType."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 3 }

       ifMauStatus OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           other(1),
                           unknown(2),
                           operational(3),
                           standby(4),

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 22]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                           shutdown(5),
                           reset(6)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The current state of the MAU.  This object may
                       be implemented as a read-only object by those
                       agents and MAUs that do not implement software
                       control of the MAU state.  Some agents may not
                       support setting the value of this object to some
                       of the enumerated values.

                       The value other(1) is returned if the MAU is in
                       a state other than one of the states 2 through
                       6.

                       The value unknown(2) is returned when the MAU's
                       true state is unknown; for example, when it is
                       being initialized.

                       A MAU in the operational(3) state is fully
                       functional, operates, and passes signals to its
                       attached DTE or repeater port in accordance to
                       its specification.

                       A MAU in standby(4) state forces DI and CI to
                       idle and the media transmitter to idle or fault,
                       if supported.  Standby(4) mode only applies to
                       link type MAUs.  The state of
                       ifMauMediaAvailable is unaffected.

                       A MAU in shutdown(5) state assumes the same
                       condition on DI, CI, and the media transmitter
                       as though it were powered down or not connected.
                       The MAU may return other(1) value for the
                       ifMauJabberState and ifMauMediaAvailable objects
                       when it is in this state.  For an AUI, this
                       state will remove power from the AUI.

                       Setting this variable to the value reset(6)
                       resets the MAU in the same manner as a
                       power-off, power-on cycle of at least one-half
                       second would.  The agent is not required to
                       return the value reset (6).

                       Setting this variable to the value
                       operational(3), standby(4), or shutdown(5)
                       causes the MAU to assume the respective state

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 23]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       except that setting a mixing-type MAU or an AUI
                       to standby(4) will cause the MAU to enter the
                       shutdown state."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.7, aMAUAdminState,
                       30.5.1.2.2, acMAUAdminControl, and 30.5.1.2.1,
                       acRESETMAU."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 4 }

       ifMauMediaAvailable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           other(1),
                           unknown(2),
                           available(3),
                           notAvailable(4),
                           remoteFault(5),
                           invalidSignal(6),
                           remoteJabber(7),
                           remoteLinkLoss(8),
                           remoteTest(9),
                           offline(10),
                           autoNegError(11)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "If the MAU is a link or fiber type (FOIRL,
                       10BASE-T, 10BASE-F) then this is equivalent to
                       the link test fail state/low light function.
                       For an AUI or a coax (including broadband) MAU
                       this indicates whether or not loopback is
                       detected on the DI circuit.  The value of this
                       attribute persists between packets for MAU types
                       AUI, 10BASE5, 10BASE2, 10BROAD36, and 10BASE-FP.

                       The value other(1) is returned if the
                       mediaAvailable state is not one of 2 through 6.

                       The value unknown(2) is returned when the MAU's
                       true state is unknown; for example, when it is
                       being initialized.  At power-up or following a
                       reset, the value of this attribute will be
                       unknown for AUI, coax, and 10BASE-FP MAUs.  For
                       these MAUs loopback will be tested on each
                       transmission during which no collision is
                       detected.  If DI is receiving input when DO
                       returns to IDL after a transmission and there
                       has been no collision during the transmission
                       then loopback will be detected.  The value of
                       this attribute will only change during

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 24]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       non-collided transmissions for AUI, coax, and
                       10BASE-FP MAUs.

                       For 100Mbps and 1000Mbps MAUs, the enumerations
                       match the states within the respective link
                       integrity state diagrams, fig 32-16, 23-12 and
                       24-15 of sections 32, 23 and 24 of [2].  Any MAU
                       which implements management of auto-negotiation
                       will map remote fault indication to remote
                       fault.

                       The value available(3) indicates that the link,
                       light, or loopback is normal.  The value
                       notAvailable(4) indicates link loss, low light,
                       or no loopback.

                       The value remoteFault(5) indicates that a fault
                       has been detected at the remote end of the link.
                       This value applies to 10BASE-FB, 100BASE-T4 Far
                       End Fault Indication and non-specified remote
                       faults from a system running auto-negotiation.
                       The values remoteJabber(7), remoteLinkLoss(8),
                       and remoteTest(9) should be used instead of
                       remoteFault(5) where the reason for remote fault
                       is identified in the remote signaling protocol.

                       The value invalidSignal(6) indicates that an
                       invalid signal has been received from the other
                       end of the link.  InvalidSignal(6) applies only
                       to MAUs of type 10BASE-FB.

                       Where an IEEE Std 802.3u-1995 clause 22 MII
                       is present, a logic one in the remote fault bit
                       (reference section 22.2.4.2.8 of that document)
                       maps to the value remoteFault(5), and a logic
                       zero in the link status bit (reference section
                       22.2.4.2.10 of that document) maps to the value
                       notAvailable(4).  The value notAvailable(4)
                       takes precedence over the value remoteFault(5).

                       Any MAU that implements management of clause 37
                       Auto-Negotiation will map the received RF1 and
                       RF2 bit values for Offline to offline(10), Link
                       Failure to remoteFault(5) and Auto-Negotiation
                       Error to autoNegError(11)."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.4, aMediaAvailable."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 5 }

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 25]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

       ifMauMediaAvailableStateExits OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of the number of times that
                       ifMauMediaAvailable for this MAU instance leaves
                       the state available(3)."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.5,
                       aLoseMediaCounter."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 6 }

       ifMauJabberState OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           other(1),
                           unknown(2),
                           noJabber(3),
                           jabbering(4)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The value other(1) is returned if the jabber
                       state is not 2, 3, or 4.  The agent must always
                       return other(1) for MAU type dot3MauTypeAUI.

                       The value unknown(2) is returned when the MAU's
                       true state is unknown; for example, when it is
                       being initialized.

                       If the MAU is not jabbering the agent returns
                       noJabber(3).  This is the 'normal' state.

                       If the MAU is in jabber state the agent returns
                       the jabbering(4) value."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.6,
                       aJabber.jabberFlag."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 7 }

       ifMauJabberingStateEnters OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of the number of times that
                       mauJabberState for this MAU instance enters the
                       state jabbering(4). This counter will always
                       indicate zero for MAUs of type dot1MauTypeAUI
                       and those of speeds above 10Mbps."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.6,
                       aJabber.jabberCounter."

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 26]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

           ::= { ifMauEntry 8 }

       ifMauFalseCarriers OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of the number of false carrier events
                       during IDLE in 100BASE-X and 1000BASE-X links.

                       For all other MAU types, this counter will
                       always indicate zero. This counter does not
                       increment at the symbol rate.

                       It can increment after a valid carrier
                       completion at a maximum rate of once per 100 ms
                       for 100BASE-X and once per 10us for 1000BASE-X
                       until the next CarrierEvent."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.10, aFalseCarriers."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 9 }

       ifMauTypeList OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "********* THIS OBJECT IS DEPRECATED **********

                       A value that uniquely identifies the set of
                       possible IEEE 802.3 types that the MAU could be.
                       The value is a sum which initially takes the
                       value zero.  Then, for each type capability of
                       this MAU, 2 raised to the power noted below is
                       added to the sum. For example, a MAU which has
                       the capability to be only 10BASE-T would have a
                       value of 512 (2**9).  In contrast, a MAU which
                       supports both 10Base-T (full duplex) and
                       100BASE-TX (full duplex) would have a value of
                       ((2**11) + (2**16)) or 67584.

                       The powers of 2 assigned to the capabilities are
                       these:

                       Power  Capability
                         0      other or unknown
                         1      AUI
                         2      10BASE-5
                         3      FOIRL
                         4      10BASE-2
                         5      10BASE-T duplex mode unknown

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 27]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                         6      10BASE-FP
                         7      10BASE-FB
                         8      10BASE-FL duplex mode unknown
                         9      10BROAD36
                        10      10BASE-T  half duplex mode
                        11      10BASE-T  full duplex mode
                        12      10BASE-FL half duplex mode
                        13      10BASE-FL full duplex mode
                        14      100BASE-T4
                        15      100BASE-TX half duplex mode
                        16      100BASE-TX full duplex mode
                        17      100BASE-FX half duplex mode
                        18      100BASE-FX full duplex mode
                        19      100BASE-T2 half duplex mode
                        20      100BASE-T2 full duplex mode

                       If auto-negotiation is present on this MAU, this
                       object will map to ifMauAutoNegCapability.

                       This object has been deprecated in favour of
                       ifMauTypeListBits."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 10 }

       ifMauDefaultType OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This object identifies the default
                       administrative baseband MAU type, to be used in
                       conjunction with the operational MAU type
                       denoted by ifMauType.

                       The set of possible values for this object is
                       the same as the set defined for the ifMauType
                       object.

                       This object represents the
                       administratively-configured type of the MAU.  If
                       auto-negotiation is not enabled or is not
                       implemented for this MAU, the value of this
                       object determines the operational type of the
                       MAU.  In this case, a set to this object will
                       force the MAU into the specified operating mode.

                       If auto-negotiation is implemented and enabled
                       for this MAU, the operational type of the MAU
                       is determined by auto-negotiation, and the value
                       of this object denotes the type to which the MAU

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 28]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       will automatically revert if/when
                       auto-negotiation is later disabled.

                       NOTE TO IMPLEMENTORS:  It may be necessary to
                       provide for underlying hardware implementations
                       which do not follow the exact behavior specified
                       above.  In particular, when
                       ifMauAutoNegAdminStatus transitions from enabled
                       to disabled, the agent implementation must
                       ensure that the operational type of the MAU (as
                       reported by ifMauType) correctly transitions to
                       the value specified by this object, rather than
                       continuing to operate at the value earlier
                       determined by the auto-negotiation function."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.1.1, aMAUID, and
                       [IEEE 802.3 Std], 22.2.4.1.4."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 11 }

       ifMauAutoNegSupported OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      TruthValue
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This object indicates whether or not
                       auto-negotiation is supported on this MAU."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 12 }

       ifMauTypeListBits OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      BITS {
               bOther(0),         -- other or unknown
               bAUI(1),           -- AUI
               b10base5(2),       -- 10BASE-5
               bFoirl(3),         -- FOIRL

               b10base2(4),       -- 10BASE-2
               b10baseT(5),       -- 10BASE-T duplex mode unknown
               b10baseFP(6),      -- 10BASE-FP
               b10baseFB(7),      -- 10BASE-FB
               b10baseFL(8),      -- 10BASE-FL duplex mode unknown
               b10broad36(9),     -- 10BROAD36
               b10baseTHD(10),    -- 10BASE-T  half duplex mode
               b10baseTFD(11),    -- 10BASE-T  full duplex mode
               b10baseFLHD(12),   -- 10BASE-FL half duplex mode
               b10baseFLFD(13),   -- 10BASE-FL full duplex mode

               b100baseT4(14),    -- 100BASE-T4
               b100baseTXHD(15),  -- 100BASE-TX half duplex mode
               b100baseTXFD(16),  -- 100BASE-TX full duplex mode
               b100baseFXHD(17),  -- 100BASE-FX half duplex mode

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 29]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

               b100baseFXFD(18),  -- 100BASE-FX full duplex mode
               b100baseT2HD(19),  -- 100BASE-T2 half duplex mode
               b100baseT2FD(20),  -- 100BASE-T2 full duplex mode

               b1000baseXHD(21),  -- 1000BASE-X half duplex mode
               b1000baseXFD(22),  -- 1000BASE-X full duplex mode
               b1000baseLXHD(23), -- 1000BASE-LX half duplex mode
               b1000baseLXFD(24), -- 1000BASE-LX full duplex mode
               b1000baseSXHD(25), -- 1000BASE-SX half duplex mode
               b1000baseSXFD(26), -- 1000BASE-SX full duplex mode
               b1000baseCXHD(27), -- 1000BASE-CX half duplex mode
               b1000baseCXFD(28), -- 1000BASE-CX full duplex mode
               b1000baseTHD(29),  -- 1000BASE-T half duplex mode
               b1000baseTFD(30)   -- 1000BASE-T full duplex mode
           }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A value that uniquely identifies the set of
                       possible IEEE 802.3 types that the MAU could be.
                       If auto-negotiation is present on this MAU, this
                       object will map to ifMauAutoNegCapability."
           ::= { ifMauEntry 13 }

       -- The ifJackTable applies to MAUs attached to interfaces
       -- which have one or more external jacks (connectors).

       ifJackTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF IfJackEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Information about the external jacks attached
                       to MAUs attached to an interface."
           ::= { dot3IfMauBasicGroup 2 }

       ifJackEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      IfJackEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "An entry in the table, containing information
                       about a particular jack."
           INDEX       { ifMauIfIndex,
                         ifMauIndex,
                         ifJackIndex
                       }
           ::= { ifJackTable 1 }

       IfJackEntry ::=

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 30]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

           SEQUENCE {
               ifJackIndex                         Integer32,
               ifJackType                          JackType
           }

       ifJackIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable uniquely identifies the jack
                       described by this entry from among other jacks
                       attached to the same MAU."
           ::= { ifJackEntry 1 }

       ifJackType OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      JackType
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The jack connector type, as it appears on the
                       outside of the system."
           ::= { ifJackEntry 2 }

       -- The ifMauAutoNegTable applies to systems in which
       -- auto-negotiation is supported on one or more MAUs
       -- attached to interfaces.  Note that if auto-negotiation
       -- is present and enabled, the ifMauType object reflects
       -- the result of the auto-negotiation function.

       ifMauAutoNegTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF IfMauAutoNegEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Configuration and status objects for the
                       auto-negotiation function of MAUs attached to
                       interfaces."
           ::= { dot3IfMauAutoNegGroup 1 }

       ifMauAutoNegEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      IfMauAutoNegEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "An entry in the table, containing configuration
                       and status information for the auto-negotiation
                       function of a particular MAU."
           INDEX       { ifMauIfIndex,
                         ifMauIndex

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 31]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       }
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegTable 1 }

       IfMauAutoNegEntry ::=
           SEQUENCE {
               ifMauAutoNegAdminStatus             INTEGER,
               ifMauAutoNegRemoteSignaling         INTEGER,
               ifMauAutoNegConfig                  INTEGER,
               ifMauAutoNegCapability              Integer32,
               ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertised           Integer32,
               ifMauAutoNegCapReceived             Integer32,
               ifMauAutoNegRestart                 INTEGER,
               ifMauAutoNegCapabilityBits          BITS,
               ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertisedBits       BITS,
               ifMauAutoNegCapReceivedBits         BITS,
               ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultAdvertised   INTEGER,
               ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultReceived     INTEGER
           }

       ifMauAutoNegAdminStatus OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           enabled(1),
                           disabled(2)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Setting this object to enabled(1) will cause
                       the interface which has the auto-negotiation
                       signaling ability to be enabled.

                       If the value of this object is disabled(2) then
                       the interface will act as it would if it had no
                       auto-negotiation signaling.  Under these
                       conditions, an IEEE 802.3 MAU will immediately
                       be forced to the state indicated by the value of
                       the object ifMauDefaultType.

                       NOTE TO IMPLEMENTORS:  When
                       ifMauAutoNegAdminStatus transitions from enabled
                       to disabled, the agent implementation must
                       ensure that the operational type of the MAU (as
                       reported by ifMauType) correctly transitions to
                       the value specified by the ifMauDefaultType
                       object, rather than continuing to operate at the
                       value earlier determined by the auto-negotiation
                       function."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.2,

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 32]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       aAutoNegAdminState and 30.6.1.2.2,
                       acAutoNegAdminControl."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 1 }

       ifMauAutoNegRemoteSignaling OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           detected(1),
                           notdetected(2)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A value indicating whether the remote end of
                       the link is using auto-negotiation signaling. It
                       takes the value detected(1) if and only if,
                       during the previous link negotiation, FLP Bursts
                       were received."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.3,
                       aAutoNegRemoteSignaling."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 2 }

       ifMauAutoNegConfig OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           other(1),
                           configuring(2),
                           complete(3),
                           disabled(4),
                           parallelDetectFail(5)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A value indicating the current status of the
                       auto-negotiation process.  The enumeration
                       parallelDetectFail(5) maps to a failure in
                       parallel detection as defined in 28.2.3.1 of
                       [IEEE 802.3 Std]."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.4,
                       aAutoNegAutoConfig."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 4 }

       ifMauAutoNegCapability OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "********* THIS OBJECT IS DEPRECATED **********

                       A value that uniquely identifies the set of
                       capabilities of the local auto-negotiation
                       entity.  The value is a sum which initially

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 33]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       takes the value zero.  Then, for each capability
                       of this interface, 2 raised to the power noted
                       below is added to the sum. For example, an
                       interface which has the capability to support
                       only 100Base-TX half duplex would have a value
                       of 32768 (2**15).  In contrast, an interface
                       which supports both 100Base-TX half duplex and
                       and 100Base-TX full duplex would have a value of
                       98304 ((2**15) + (2**16)).

                       The powers of 2 assigned to the capabilities are
                       these:

                       Power   Capability
                         0       other or unknown
                        (1-9)    (reserved)
                        10       10BASE-T  half duplex mode
                        11       10BASE-T  full duplex mode
                        12       (reserved)
                        13       (reserved)
                        14       100BASE-T4
                        15       100BASE-TX half duplex mode
                        16       100BASE-TX full duplex mode
                        17       (reserved)
                        18       (reserved)
                        19      100BASE-T2 half duplex mode
                        20      100BASE-T2 full duplex mode

                       Note that interfaces that support this MIB may
                       have capabilities that extend beyond the scope
                       of this MIB.

                       This object has been deprecated in favour of
                       ifMauAutoNegCapabilityBits"
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.5,
                       aAutoNegLocalTechnologyAbility."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 5 }

       ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertised OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "********* THIS OBJECT IS DEPRECATED **********

                       A value that uniquely identifies the set of
                       capabilities advertised by the local
                       auto-negotiation entity. Refer to
                       ifMauAutoNegCapability for a description of the

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 34]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       possible values of this object.

                       Capabilities in this object that are not
                       available in ifMauAutoNegCapability cannot be
                       enabled.

                       This object has been deprecated in favour of
                       ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertisedBits"
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.6,
                       aAutoNegAdvertisedTechnologyAbility."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 6 }

       ifMauAutoNegCapReceived OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "********* THIS OBJECT IS DEPRECATED **********

                       A value that uniquely identifies the set of
                       capabilities received from the remote
                       auto-negotiation entity. Refer to
                       ifMauAutoNegCapability for a description of the
                       possible values of this object.

                       Note that interfaces that support this MIB may
                       be attached to remote auto-negotiation entities
                       which have capabilities beyond the scope of this
                       MIB.

                       This object has been deprecated in favour of
                       ifMauAutoNegCapReceivedBits"
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.7,
                       aAutoNegReceivedTechnologyAbility."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 7 }

       ifMauAutoNegRestart OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           restart(1),
                           norestart(2)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "If the value of this object is set to
                       restart(1) then this will force auto-negotiation
                       to begin link renegotiation. If auto-negotiation
                       signaling is disabled, a write to this object
                       has no effect.

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 35]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       Setting the value of this object to norestart(2)
                       has no effect."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.2.1,
                       acAutoNegRestartAutoConfig."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 8 }

       ifMauAutoNegCapabilityBits OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      BITS {
               bOther(0),        -- other or unknown
               b10baseT(1),      -- 10BASE-T  half duplex mode
               b10baseTFD(2),    -- 10BASE-T  full duplex mode
               b100baseT4(3),    -- 100BASE-T4
               b100baseTX(4),    -- 100BASE-TX half duplex mode
               b100baseTXFD(5),  -- 100BASE-TX full duplex mode
               b100baseT2(6),    -- 100BASE-T2 half duplex mode
               b100baseT2FD(7),  -- 100BASE-T2 full duplex mode
               bfdxPause(8),     -- PAUSE for full-duplex links
               bfdxAPause(9),    -- Asymmetric PAUSE for full-duplex
                                 --     links
               bfdxSPause(10),   -- Symmetric PAUSE for full-duplex
                                 --     links
               bfdxBPause(11),   -- Asymmetric and Symmetric PAUSE for
                                 --     full-duplex links
               b1000baseX(12),   -- 1000BASE-X, -LX, -SX, -CX half
                                 --     duplex mode
               b1000baseXFD(13), -- 1000BASE-X, -LX, -SX, -CX full
                                 --     duplex mode
               b1000baseT(14),   -- 1000BASE-T half duplex mode
               b1000baseTFD(15)  -- 1000BASE-T full duplex mode
           }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A value that uniquely identifies the set of
                       capabilities of the local auto-negotiation
                       entity.  Note that interfaces that support this
                       MIB may have capabilities that extend beyond the
                       scope of this MIB."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.5,
                       aAutoNegLocalTechnologyAbility."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 9 }

       ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertisedBits OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      BITS {
               bOther(0),        -- other or unknown
               b10baseT(1),      -- 10BASE-T  half duplex mode
               b10baseTFD(2),    -- 10BASE-T  full duplex mode
               b100baseT4(3),    -- 100BASE-T4
               b100baseTX(4),    -- 100BASE-TX half duplex mode

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 36]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

               b100baseTXFD(5),  -- 100BASE-TX full duplex mode
               b100baseT2(6),    -- 100BASE-T2 half duplex mode
               b100baseT2FD(7),  -- 100BASE-T2 full duplex mode
               bFdxPause(8),     -- PAUSE for full-duplex links
               bFdxAPause(9),    -- Asymmetric PAUSE for full-duplex
                                 --     links
               bFdxSPause(10),   -- Symmetric PAUSE for full-duplex
                                 --     links
               bFdxBPause(11),   -- Asymmetric and Symmetric PAUSE for
                                 --     full-duplex links
               b1000baseX(12),   -- 1000BASE-X, -LX, -SX, -CX half
                                 --     duplex mode
               b1000baseXFD(13), -- 1000BASE-X, -LX, -SX, -CX full
                                 --     duplex mode
               b1000baseT(14),   -- 1000BASE-T half duplex mode
               b1000baseTFD(15)  -- 1000BASE-T full duplex mode
           }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A value that uniquely identifies the set of
                       capabilities advertised by the local
                       auto-negotiation entity.

                       Capabilities in this object that are not
                       available in ifMauAutoNegCapability cannot be
                       enabled."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.6,
                       aAutoNegAdvertisedTechnologyAbility."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 10 }

       ifMauAutoNegCapReceivedBits OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      BITS {
                bOther(0),        -- other or unknown
                b10baseT(1),      -- 10BASE-T  half duplex mode
                b10baseTFD(2),    -- 10BASE-T  full duplex mode
                b100baseT4(3),    -- 100BASE-T4
                b100baseTX(4),    -- 100BASE-TX half duplex mode
                b100baseTXFD(5),  -- 100BASE-TX full duplex mode
                b100baseT2(6),    -- 100BASE-T2 half duplex mode
                b100baseT2FD(7),  -- 100BASE-T2 full duplex mode
                bFdxPause(8),     -- PAUSE for full-duplex links
                bFdxAPause(9),    -- Asymmetric PAUSE for full-duplex
                                  --     links
                bFdxSPause(10),   -- Symmetric PAUSE for full-duplex
                                  --     links
                bFdxBPause(11),   -- Asymmetric and Symmetric PAUSE for
                                  --     full-duplex links
                b1000baseX(12),   -- 1000BASE-X, -LX, -SX, -CX half

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 37]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                                  --     duplex mode
                b1000baseXFD(13), -- 1000BASE-X, -LX, -SX, -CX full
                                  --     duplex mode
                b1000baseT(14),   -- 1000BASE-T half duplex mode
                b1000baseTFD(15)  -- 1000BASE-T full duplex mode
           }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A value that uniquely identifies the set of
                       capabilities received from the remote
                       auto-negotiation entity.

                       Note that interfaces that support this MIB may
                       be attached to remote auto-negotiation entities
                       which have capabilities beyond the scope of this
                       MIB."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.7,
                       aAutoNegReceivedTechnologyAbility."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 11 }

       ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultAdvertised OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           noError(1),
                           offline(2),
                           linkFailure(3),
                           autoNegError(4)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A value that identifies any fault indications
                       currently advertised by the local
                       auto-negotiation entity for 1000Mbps MAUs."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.6,
                       aAutoNegAdvertisedTechnologyAbility."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 12 }

       ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultReceived OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           noError(1),
                           offline(2),
                           linkFailure(3),
                           autoNegError(4)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A value that identifies any fault indications
                       received from the far end of a link by the
                       local auto-negotiation entity for 1000Mbps

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 38]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       MAUs."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.6.1.1.7,
                       aAutoNegReceivedTechnologyAbility."
           ::= { ifMauAutoNegEntry 13 }

       --
       -- The Basic Broadband MAU Table
       --

       broadMauBasicTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF BroadMauBasicEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Table of descriptive and status information
                       about the broadband MAUs connected to
                       interfaces."
           ::= { dot3BroadMauBasicGroup 1 }

       broadMauBasicEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      BroadMauBasicEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "An entry in the table, containing information
                       about a single broadband MAU."
           INDEX       { broadMauIfIndex,
                         broadMauIndex
                       }
           ::= { broadMauBasicTable 1 }

       BroadMauBasicEntry ::=
           SEQUENCE {
               broadMauIfIndex                     Integer32,
               broadMauIndex                       Integer32,
               broadMauXmtRcvSplitType             INTEGER,
               broadMauXmtCarrierFreq              Integer32,
               broadMauTranslationFreq             Integer32
           }

       broadMauIfIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable uniquely identifies the interface
                       to which the MAU described by this entry is
                       connected."
           REFERENCE   "Reference RFC 1213, ifIndex."
           ::= { broadMauBasicEntry 1 }

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 39]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

       broadMauIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable uniquely identifies the MAU
                       connected to interface broadMauIfIndex that is
                       described by this entry."
           REFERENCE   "Reference IEEE 802.3 MAU Mgt, 20.2.3.2,
                       aMAUID."
           ::= { broadMauBasicEntry 2 }

       broadMauXmtRcvSplitType OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           other(1),
                           single(2),
                           dual(3)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This object indicates the type of frequency
                       multiplexing/cabling system used to separate the
                       transmit and receive paths for the 10BROAD36
                       MAU.

                       The value other(1) is returned if the split type
                       is not either single or dual.

                       The value single(2) indicates a single cable
                       system.  The value dual(3) indicates a dual
                       cable system, offset normally zero."
           REFERENCE   "Reference IEEE 802.3 MAU Mgt, 20.2.3.2,
                       aBbMAUXmitRcvSplitType."
           ::= { broadMauBasicEntry 3 }

       broadMauXmtCarrierFreq OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable indicates the transmit carrier
                       frequency of the 10BROAD36 MAU in MHz/4; that
                       is, in units of 250 kHz."
           REFERENCE   "Reference IEEE 802.3 MAU Mgt, 20.2.3.2,
                       aBroadbandFrequencies.xmitCarrierFrequency."
           ::= { broadMauBasicEntry 4 }

       broadMauTranslationFreq OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Integer32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 40]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This variable indicates the translation offset
                       frequency of the 10BROAD36 MAU in MHz/4; that
                       is, in units of 250 kHz."
           REFERENCE   "Reference IEEE 802.3 MAU Mgt, 20.2.3.2,
                       aBroadbandFrequencies.translationFrequency."
           ::= { broadMauBasicEntry 5 }

       -- Notifications for use by 802.3 MAUs

       snmpDot3MauTraps OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { snmpDot3MauMgt 0 }

       rpMauJabberTrap NOTIFICATION-TYPE
           OBJECTS     { rpMauJabberState }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This trap is sent whenever a managed repeater
                       MAU enters the jabber state.

                       The agent must throttle the generation of
                       consecutive rpMauJabberTraps so that there is at
                       least a five-second gap between them."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.3.1, nJabber
                       notification."
           ::= { snmpDot3MauTraps 1 }

       ifMauJabberTrap NOTIFICATION-TYPE
           OBJECTS     { ifMauJabberState }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This trap is sent whenever a managed interface
                       MAU enters the jabber state.

                       The agent must throttle the generation of
                       consecutive ifMauJabberTraps so that there is at
                       least a five-second gap between them."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Mgt], 30.5.1.3.1, nJabber
                       notification."
           ::= { snmpDot3MauTraps 2 }

       -- Conformance information

       mauModConf
               OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { mauMod 1 }
         mauModCompls
               OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { mauModConf 1 }
         mauModObjGrps

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 41]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

               OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { mauModConf 2 }
         mauModNotGrps
               OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { mauModConf 3 }

       -- Object groups

       mauRpGrpBasic OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { rpMauGroupIndex,
                         rpMauPortIndex,
                         rpMauIndex,
                         rpMauType,
                         rpMauStatus,
                         rpMauMediaAvailable,
                         rpMauMediaAvailableStateExits,
                         rpMauJabberState,
                         rpMauJabberingStateEnters
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Basic conformance group for MAUs attached to
                       repeater ports.  This group is also the
                       conformance specification for RFC 1515
                       implementations."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 1 }

       mauRpGrp100Mbs OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { rpMauFalseCarriers }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Conformance group for MAUs attached to
                       repeater ports with 100 Mb/s or greater
                       capability."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 2 }

       mauRpGrpJack OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { rpJackType }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Conformance group for MAUs attached to
                       repeater ports with managed jacks."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 3 }

       mauIfGrpBasic OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { ifMauIfIndex,
                         ifMauIndex,
                         ifMauType,
                         ifMauStatus,
                         ifMauMediaAvailable,
                         ifMauMediaAvailableStateExits,
                         ifMauJabberState,

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 42]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                         ifMauJabberingStateEnters
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Basic conformance group for MAUs attached to
                       interfaces.  This group also provides a
                       conformance specification for RFC 1515
                       implementations."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 4 }

       mauIfGrp100Mbs OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { ifMauFalseCarriers,
                         ifMauTypeList,
                         ifMauDefaultType,
                         ifMauAutoNegSupported
                       }
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "********* THIS GROUP IS DEPRECATED **********

                       Conformance group for MAUs attached to
                       interfaces with 100 Mb/s capability.

                       This object group has been deprecated in favor
                       of mauIfGrpHighCapacity."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 5 }

       mauIfGrpJack OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { ifJackType }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Conformance group for MAUs attached to
                       interfaces with managed jacks."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 6 }

       mauIfGrpAutoNeg OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { ifMauAutoNegAdminStatus,
                         ifMauAutoNegRemoteSignaling,
                         ifMauAutoNegConfig,
                         ifMauAutoNegCapability,
                         ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertised,
                         ifMauAutoNegCapReceived,
                         ifMauAutoNegRestart
                       }
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "********* THIS GROUP IS DEPRECATED **********

                       Conformance group for MAUs attached to
                       interfaces with managed auto-negotiation.

                       This object group has been deprecated in favor

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 43]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       of mauIfGrpAutoNeg2."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 7 }

       mauBroadBasic OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { broadMauIfIndex,
                         broadMauIndex,
                         broadMauXmtRcvSplitType,
                         broadMauXmtCarrierFreq,
                         broadMauTranslationFreq
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Conformance group for broadband MAUs attached
                       to interfaces.  This group provides a
                       conformance specification for RFC 1515
                       implementations."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 8 }

       mauIfGrpHighCapacity OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { ifMauFalseCarriers,
                         ifMauTypeListBits,
                         ifMauDefaultType,
                         ifMauAutoNegSupported
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Conformance group for MAUs attached to
                       interfaces with 100 Mb/s or greater capability."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 9 }

       mauIfGrpAutoNeg2 OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { ifMauAutoNegAdminStatus,
                         ifMauAutoNegRemoteSignaling,
                         ifMauAutoNegConfig,
                         ifMauAutoNegCapabilityBits,
                         ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertisedBits,
                         ifMauAutoNegCapReceivedBits,
                         ifMauAutoNegRestart
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Conformance group for MAUs attached to
                       interfaces with managed auto-negotiation."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 10 }

       mauIfGrpAutoNeg1000Mbps OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultAdvertised,
                         ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultReceived
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Conformance group for 1000Mbps MAUs attached to

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 44]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       interfaces with managed auto-negotiation."
           ::= { mauModObjGrps 11 }

       -- Notification groups

       rpMauNotifications NOTIFICATION-GROUP
           NOTIFICATIONS { rpMauJabberTrap }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Notifications for repeater MAUs."
           ::= { mauModNotGrps 1 }

       ifMauNotifications NOTIFICATION-GROUP
           NOTIFICATIONS { ifMauJabberTrap }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Notifications for interface MAUs."
           ::= { mauModNotGrps 2 }

       -- Compliances

       mauModRpCompl MODULE-COMPLIANCE
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Compliance for MAUs attached to repeater
                       ports."

           MODULE -- this module
               MANDATORY-GROUPS { mauRpGrpBasic }

               GROUP       mauRpGrp100Mbs
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this optional group is
                           recommended for MAUs which have 100Mb/s or
                           greater capability."

               GROUP       mauRpGrpJack
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this optional group is
                           recommended for MAUs which have one or more
                           external jacks."

               GROUP       rpMauNotifications
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this group is recommended
                           for MAUs attached to repeater ports."
           ::= { mauModCompls 1 }

       mauModIfCompl MODULE-COMPLIANCE
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "******** THIS COMPLIANCE IS DEPRECATED ********

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 45]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                       Compliance for MAUs attached to interfaces."

           MODULE -- this module
               MANDATORY-GROUPS { mauIfGrpBasic }

               GROUP       mauIfGrp100Mbs
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this optional group is
                           recommended for MAUs which have 100Mb/s
                           capability."

               GROUP       mauIfGrpJack
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this optional group is
                           recommended for MAUs which have one or more
                           external jacks."

               GROUP       mauIfGrpAutoNeg
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this group is mandatory
                           for MAUs which support managed
                           auto-negotiation."

               GROUP       mauBroadBasic
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this group is mandatory
                           for broadband MAUs."

               GROUP       ifMauNotifications
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this group is recommended
                           for MAUs attached to interfaces."
           ::= { mauModCompls 2 }

       mauModIfCompl2 MODULE-COMPLIANCE
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Compliance for MAUs attached to interfaces."

           MODULE -- this module
               MANDATORY-GROUPS { mauIfGrpBasic }

               GROUP       mauIfGrpHighCapacity
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this optional group is
                           recommended for MAUs which have 100Mb/s
                           or greater capability."

               GROUP       mauIfGrpJack
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this optional group is
                           recommended for MAUs which have one or more
                           external jacks."

               GROUP       mauIfGrpAutoNeg2
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this group is mandatory

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 46]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

                           for MAUs which support managed
                           auto-negotiation."

               GROUP       mauIfGrpAutoNeg1000Mbps
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this group is mandatory
                           for MAUs which have 1000Mb/s or greater
                           capability and support managed
                           auto-negotiation."

               GROUP       mauBroadBasic
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this group is mandatory
                           for broadband MAUs."

               GROUP       ifMauNotifications
               DESCRIPTION "Implementation of this group is recommended
                           for MAUs attached to interfaces."
           ::= { mauModCompls 3 }

   END

6.  Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11.  Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

7.  Acknowledgements

   This document was produced by the IETF IEEE 802.3 Interfaces and Hub
   MIB Working Group, whose efforts were greatly advanced by the

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 47]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

   contributions of the following people:

   Chuck Black John Flick Jeff Johnson Leon Leong Mike Lui Dave Perkins
   Geoff Thompson Maurice Turcotte Paul Woodruff

   Special thanks as well to Dave Perkins for his excellent work on the
   SMICng compiler, which made it easy to take advantage of the latest
   SNMPv2 constructs in this MIB.

8.  References

    [1] IEEE 802.3/ISO 8802-3 Information processing systems - Local
        area networks - Part 3:  Carrier sense multiple access with
        collision detection (CSMA/CD) access method and physical layer
        specifications, 1993.

    [2] IEEE Draft P802.3z/D4.2, "MAC Parameters, Physical Layer,
        Repeater and Management Parameters for 1000 Mb/s Operation"
        Supplement to IEEE Std 802.3, March 1998.

    [3] de Graaf, K., D. Romascanu, D. McMaster, and K. McCloghrie,
        "Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3 Repeater Devices
        using SMIv2", RFC 2108, February 1997.

    [4] Information processing systems - Open Systems Interconnection -
        Specification of Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1),
        International Organization for Standardization, International
        Standard 8824, December 1987.

    [5] McCloghrie, K., and M. Rose, Editors, "Management Information
        Base for Network Management of TCP/IP-based internets: MIB-II",
        STD 17, RFC 1213, Hughes LAN Systems, Performance Systems
        International, March 1991.

    [6] McCloghrie, K., and Kastenholtz, F., "The Interfaces Group MIB
        using SMIv2", RFC 2233, Cisco Systems, FTP Software, November
        1997.

    [7] SNMPv2 Working Group, Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and
        S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management Information for version
        2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1902,
        January 1996.

    [8] SNMPv2 Working Group, Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and
        S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for version 2 of the Simple
        Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1903, January 1996.

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 48]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

    [9] SNMPv2 Working Group, Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and
        S. Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for version 2 of the
        Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1904, January
        1996.

   [10] SNMPv2 Working Group, Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and
        S. Waldbusser, "Protocol Operations for version 2 of the Simple
        Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, January 1996.

   [11] Case, J., M. Fedor, M. Schoffstall, J. Davin, "Simple Network
        Management Protocol", RFC 1157, SNMP Research, Performance
        Systems International, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science, May
        1990.

   [12] Harrington D., Presuhn, R., Wijnen, B., "An Architecture for
        Describing SNMP Management Frameworks", RFC 2271, Cabletron
        Systems, BMC Software, Inc., IBM T.J. Watson Research, January
        1998.

   [13] Harrington D., Presuhn, R., Wijnen, B., "Message Processing and
        Dispatching for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)",
        RFC 2272, Cabletron Systems, BMC Software, Inc., IBM T.J.
        Watson Research, January 1998.

   [14] Levi D., Meyer P., Stewart, B., "SNMPv3 Applications", RFC 2273,
        SNMP Research, Inc., Secure Computing Corporation, Cisco
        Systems, January 1998.

   [15] Blumenthal, U., Wijnen, B., "User-based Security Model (USM) for
        version 3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3)",
        RFC 2274, IBM T. J. Watson Research, January 1998.

   [16] Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., McCloghrie, K., "View-based Access
        Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network Management Protocol
        (SNMP)", RFC 2275, IBM T.J. Watson Research, BMC Software, Inc.,
        Cisco Systems, Inc., January 1998.

   [17] Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
        Requirements Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [18] de Graaf, K., Romascanu, D., McMaster, D., K. McCloghrie,
        S. Roberts, "Definitions of Managed Objects
        for IEEE 802.3 Medium Attachment Units (MAUs) using SMIv2",
        RFC 2239, November 1997.

   [19] McMaster, D., K. McCloghrie and  S. Roberts, "Definitions of
        Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3 Medium Attachment Units
        (MAUs)", RFC 1515, September 1993.

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 49]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

   [20] Flick, J., and J. Johnson, "Definitions of Managed Objects for
        the Ethernet-like Interface Types", work in progress,
        draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-mib-04.txt, March, 1998.

9.  Security Considerations

   Certain management information defined in this MIB may be considered
   sensitive in some network environments.  Therefore, authentication of
   received SNMP requests and controlled access to management
   information should be employed in such environments.  The method for
   this authentication is a function of the SNMP Administrative
   Framework, and has not been expanded by this MIB.

   Several objects in this MIB allow write access.  Setting these
   objects can have a serious effect on the operation of the network,
   including enabling or disabling a MAU, changing a MAU's default type,
   enabling, disabling or restarting autonegotiation, or modifying the
   capabilities that a MAU advertizes during autonegotiation.  It is
   recommended that implementers seriously consider whether set
   operations should be allowed without providing, at a minimum,
   authentication of request origin.

10  Authors' Addresses

   Andrew Smith
   Extreme Networks, Inc.
   10460 Bandley Drive
   Cupertino, CA 95014, USA
   Tel: +1 408 342 0999
   E-Mail: [email-masked]

   John Flick
   Hewlett-Packard Company
   8000 Foothills Blvd. M/S 5556
   Roseville, CA 95747-5556
   Phone: +1 916 785 4018
   E-mail: [email-masked]

   Kathryn de Graaf
   Argon Networks
   25 Porter Road
   Littleton, MA 01460 USA
   Tel: +1 978 486 0665 x163
   Fax: +1 978 486 9379
   E-mail: [email-masked]

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 50]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

   Dan Romascanu
   LANNET Ltd.
   Atidim Technology Park, Bldg. 3
   Tel Aviv 61131
   Israel
   Tel: 972 3 645 8414, 6458458
   Fax: 972 3 648 7146
   E-mail: [email-masked]

   Donna McMaster
   Cisco Systems Inc.
   170 West Tasman Drive
   San Jose, CA 95134
   Tel: +1 408 526 5260
   E-Mail: [email-masked]

   Keith McCloghrie
   Cisco Systems Inc.
   170 West Tasman Drive
   San Jose, CA 95134
   Tel: +1 408 526 5260
   E-Mail: [email-masked]

   Sam Roberts
   Farallon Computing, Inc.
   2470 Mariner Square Loop
   Alameda, CA 94501-1010
   Tel: +1 510 814 5215
   E-Mail: [email-masked]

11.  Full Copyright Statement

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 51]

I-D PRE-RELEASE              802.3 MAU MIB                      May 1998

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Smith, et. al.           Expires November 1998                 [Page 52]

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 18:51:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - 

> Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 18:29:39 -0700 (PDT)
> From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: MAU-MIB draft pre-relase
...
> anyone else has an idea for how to fix this.
...

Short of suggesting that those vendors fix their products :-), 
one simple hack would be to define another module that does nothing
but define snmpDot3MauMgt.  MAU-MIB would then import snmpDot3MauMgt
from this other module.

An even simpler hack would be to replace

>            ::= { snmpDot3MauMgt 6 }

with

>            ::= { mib-2 26 6 }

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked]      http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 19:14:41 -0700

Dan,

1, 2: I guess I actually went beyond what we said we would do in LA and
fixed up the DESCRIPTIONS for the rpMauXXXX variables to be somewhat
correct for 802.3[x,y,z] so what you say is correct - the rpMauXXX
variables *do* support 1000 Mbps repeaters (and there are no
"rpMauTypeList" variables to be replaced with BITS ones).

4. I was not meaning to imply any new semantics on top of 802.3z here.

For ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultAdvertised, I read 802.3z 30.6.1.1.6 as
saying it is the value currently in the register so a more precise
DESCRIPTION might be "A value that identifies any local fault
indications that this MAU has detected and will advertise at the next
auto-negotiation interaction for 1000Mbps MAUs.". But, I interprete
37.2.1.5 as saying that you will likely reset these to "no error" and
keep on trying again so maybe they are of limited usefulness as SNMP
attributes - can anyone clarify the expected dynamic behaviours of these
indicators?

For ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultReceived, how about: "A value that identifies
the latest fault indications received from the far end of a link by the
local auto-negotiation entity for 1000Mbps MAUs.".?

I don't claim to know what's going on with 3 & 5.

Andrew

****************************************************************
Andrew Smith                              tel: +1 (408) 863-2821
Extreme Networks                          fax: +1 (408) 342-0990
10460 Bandley Drive               http://www.extremenetworks.com
Cupertino CA 95014               em:  [email-masked]
****************************************************************

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Dan Romascanu ELdevmt-TA [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, May 11, 1998 1:34 AM
> To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject:	Re: MAU-MIB draft pre-relase
> 
> Here are my two agorots:
> 
> 1. paragraph 4.1 - I propose that we exclude the brakets '(but not
> 1000 
> Mb/s repeaters)'. My point - it's obvious as this is a MAU MIB and not
> a 
> Repeater MIB, and mentioning it might confuse. See also the next
> comment
> 
> 2. paragraph 4.4.2. - I sugest we explicitely say something like
> 'While 
> the 802.3 Repeater MIB, in its present format. was defined for 10 Mb/s
> 
> and 100 Mb/s repeaters, it should apply to 1000 Mb/s repeaters as
> well. 
> An update of the 802.3 Repeater MIB might be issued in the future to 
> cover possible differences, but meantime, the present MAU MIB module
> can 
> be applied in conjunction with the 802.3 Repeater MIB.'
> 
> 3. REFERENCE clause of rpmauPortIndex still mentions RFC 1516
> 
> 4. The new introduced objects ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultAdvertised and 
> ifMauAutoNegRemoteFaultReceived reference the technologyAbility
> objects 
> from Clause 30, while their DESCRIPTION clauses seem to hint to
> something 
> else - that is to current fault indication status.
> 
> 5. DESCRIPTION of mauBroadBasic references RFC 1515. I do not
> understand 
> it (I know it's not new).
> 
> Dan
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> ------
> Dan Romascanu,
> Systems Architecture Group Manager,
> LANNET Ltd.,
> Voice: 972-3-645-8414, e-mail: [email-masked]
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> ------