Subject: Agenda for Hub MIB WG Meeting in LA

From: "Dan Romascanu ELdevmt-TA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 98 17:12:09 +0200

Hub-MIB-ers,

Two weeks (on the clock!) before the LA meeting, we should look again at 
the tentative agenda posted a few weeks ago:

>1. Finalizing Ethernet Interfaces MIB additions for 100 MB

This is probably no longer actual, as we went through the Last Call 
without any technical changes, and I forwarded draft-..04 to the IESG for 
consideration as a Proposed Standard. Thanks and congratulation to the 
editors - John Flick and Jeff Johnson for their work. Of course, if 
somebody catches any major problem, the floor is open.

>2. Implementation Experience Reports on RFC 2108 and RFC 2239

Anybody who wishes to make any contribution on these, is invited to do 
so, on the list, or in the meeting. As RFC 2108 entered in its second 
year, we may start organizing for a implemetation poll, and see what we 
can do in order to test interoperability. This is necessary in order for 
this standard to be considerred for advancement to Draft Standard.
 
At this point, I would like to introduce a new item - 

3. Status of the IEEE 802.3 standards

The goal is to open the discussion about the future work items for the 
WG. I attended last week the IEEE 802 Plenary in Irvine. At the meeting, 
Howard Frazier, who chairs the 802.3z WG informed the 802.3 plenary about 
our WG session, and encouraged the interested experts to participate in 
our meeting. I hope that this will happen and the improved communications 
and cooperation between the two organizations will be in everybody's 
benefit.

>4. 1GB Ethernet additions to Repeater MIB, MAU MIB and Ethernet 
>Interfaces MIB

We are looking for contributors on this item. Please volunteer!

>5. Full Duplex additions

John Flick proposed this item. I hope that he will present his initial 
thoughts on this.
 
>6. Charter Extension and Changes

I will draw a draft proposal for the update, but the final request to the 
Area Directors approval will be function of the discussions on the list 
and in the meeting. One proposal I heard was changing the name of the WG 
in something like 'Ethernet Hub and Interfaces MIBs WG', which probably 
better reflects our coverage nowadays.

Please comment on the proposed agenda, propose adding anything that you 
feel is missing and especially come and contribute to the meeting. 

See you in LA.

Dan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
Dan Romascanu,
Systems Architecture Group Manager,
LANNET Ltd.,
Voice: 972-3-645-8414, e-mail: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------

---

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:49:34 -0800

What's the format for implementation experience? Do you have a
boilerplate or is it free-format?

I'm certainly interested in helping with the gigabit MAU MIB (it's a
pain administering all of those MAU OIDs in the enterprise MIB). I'll
try to write up a list of the extra stuff based on clause 30 of 802.3z
before LA IETF.

Andrew

***********************************************************************
Andrew Smith                            tel: +1 (408) 863-2821
Extreme Networks                        fax: +1 (408) 342-0990
10460 Bandley Drive                     http://www.extremenetworks.com
Cupertino CA 95014                      em:  [email-masked]
***********************************************************************

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Dan Romascanu ELdevmt-TA [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, March 16, 1998 7:12 AM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	Agenda for Hub MIB WG Meeting in LA
> 

	...

---

From: "Dan Romascanu ELdevmt-TA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 98 8:52:16 +0200

Andrew,

> boilerplate or is it free-format?

In the previous round we did a similar job for RFC 1516 and RFC 1515. 
Dave Perkins assisted us in collecting and processing the data - this 
also helped in keeping vendor anonimity for those who wished so (as the 
chair of this group is employed by a hub and switches vendor). He built 
up two questionnaires, for the agent and NMS application. What resulted 
was a matrix listing relevant MIB groups and objects in rows and vendors 
in columns, plus a summary. I remember similar work being done for other 
MIBs - Ethernet-like Interfaces MIB (before it fell under our 
responsibility), AToM MIB, etc. but I do not think any kind of 'standard' 
boilerplate does exist. 

For this round, I think chosing a independant 'data gatherer and 
processor' would also help. For those wishing to share publicly the 
information before or at the meeting (we intent to do so!), free format 
applies.
 
> before LA
> IETF.

Thanks. You are marked for the job.

Dan