Subject: Proposal for Revised Hub MIB Charter

From: "Dan Romascanu ELdevmt-TA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 98 18:00:17 +0200

Here is the proposal for the revised charter of the Hub MIB WG. We will 
discuss it during the next Monday meeting. Of course, comments are 
welcome until then.

IEEE 802.3 Interfaces and Hub MIB (hubmib) 

Last Modified: 24-Mar-1998 

Chair(s):

Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s): 

John Curran <[email-masked]>
Michael O'Dell <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor: 

John Curran <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists: 

General Discussion:[email-masked] 
To Subscribe: [email-masked] 
Archive: ftp://ftp.rose.hp.com/pub/hubmib 

Description of Working Group: 

This working group produced a document describing MIB objects for use in 
managing Ethernet-like hubs. A hub is defined as a multiport repeater 
that conforms to Section 9, ``Repeater Unit for 10 Mb/s Baseband 
Networks'' in the IEEE 802.3/ISO 8802-3 CSMA/CD standard (2nd edition, 
Sept. 1990). These hub MIB objects may be used to manage non-standard 
repeater-like devices, but defining objects to describe vendor-specific 
properties of non-standard repeater-like devices is outside the scope of 
this working group. The MIB object definitions produced are for use by 
SNMP and will be consistent with other SNMP objects, conventions, and 
definitions. 

In order to minimize the instrumentation burden on managed agents, the 
MIB definitions produced by the working group will wherever feasible be 
semantically consistent with the managed objects defined in the IEEE 
Standard 802.3u, Section 30, "10 Mb / s & 100 Mb / s Management". 

The working group produced a document describing MIB objects for use in 
management of connectivity boxes that include Ethernet ports with a 
behavior consistent to the repeater ports defined by the 802.3 Standards. 
The repeater ports will be mapped to the internal box structure that may 
include one or more repeater units that conform to the IEEE 802.3/ISO 
8802-3 CSMA/CD standard. If so, all instrumentation variables will be 
backward compatible with the existing hardware implementations that 
comply to the IEEE 802.3 repeaters. 

Consistent with the IETF policy regarding the treatment of MIB 
definitions produced by other standards bodies, the working group may 
choose to consider only a subset of those objects in the IEEE 
specification and is under no obligation to consider (even for 
``Optional'' status) all objects defined in the IEEE specification. 
Moreover, when justified by special operational needs of the community, 
the Working Group may choose to define additional MIB objects that are 
not present in the IEEE specifications. 

The Working Group will maintain, gather implementation experience and, if 
the IETF standards track conditions are met, propose for advancement on 
the standard track the Ethernet Repeaters MIB document described above.

The working group was further chartered at its discretion to define an 
SNMP MIB for management of IEEE 802.3 Medium Access Units (MAUs). An 
802.3 Medium Attachment Unit (MAU) attaches a repeater port or 
Ethernet-like interface to the local network medium. 

The Working Group will maintain, gather implementation experience and, if 
the IETF standards track conditions are met, propose for advancement on 
the standard track the MAU MIB document described above.

The working group was further chartered to propose additions / changes to 
existing MIB module that deals with Ethernet-like interfaces MIB in order 
to extend the support to 100Base-T. 

The Working Group will maintain, gather implementation experience and, if 
the IETF standards track conditions are met, propose for advancement on 
the standard track the Ethernet-like Interfaces MIB  document described 
above

The Working Group will consider the advancements in the Ethernet 
technology and standardization in the IEEE 802.3 framework and will 
propose the necessary changes and additions in order to support the 
management functionality in the SNMP framework. If new objects need to be 
added, or changes in the semantic of existing MIB objects that are part 
of the Repeater MIB, MAU MIB or Ethernet-like Interfaces MIB are needed, 
they will be included in new documents, so that the advancement of the 
existing documents on the standards track will not be impacted. 

The IEEE 802.3 developments that are specifically targeted for extensions 
are:
 -  Full Duplex operation - Changes defined in clause 30 of the IEEE 
802.3x / IEEE 802.3y standard
 -  1 Gigabit Ethernet - Changes defined in clause 30 of the IEEE 802.3z 
standard 

Goals and Milestones:

March-April 1998 	Meet at the 41st IETF to discuss implementation 
experience of RFC 2108 and RFC 2239, and to consider future extensions 
for Full Duplex operation and 1 Gigabit Ethernet Speeds

June 1998	Post Internet-Draft(s) for Full Duplex and 1 Gigabit Ethernet 
MIB extensions

August 1998	Meet at the 42nd IETF to discuss the Internet-Draft(s)

September 1998	Post revised Internet-Draft(s)

October 1998	WG Last Call

November 1998	Submit final version of the Internet-Draft(s) to the IESG 
for consideration as Proposed Standards

Dan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
Dan Romascanu,
Systems Architecture Group Manager,
LANNET Ltd.,
Voice: 972-3-645-8414, e-mail: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------