Subject: [Hubmib] EFM-CU-MIB - issues

From: Edward Beili <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:04:48 +0200

Hi,

Below are some issues I ran into while working on EFM-CU-MIB. I would
appreciate any feedback.

Regards,
-Edward

Issues list for the EFM-CU-MIB
---------------------------------------------

1. Is current use of ifStackTable for actual cross-connects between
   PMEs and PCSs (read-write) and efmCuAvailableStackTable for cross-connect
   capability (read only), the right choice?

   An alternative would be to use ifStackTable to describe cross-connect
capability
   and efmCuAvailableStackTable to describe actual connections, so that the
cross-connect
   action would be done in the EFM-CU-MIB by modifying the
efmCuAvailableStackTable 
   (and not in IF-MIB).

2. I've decided not to reference HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB and
   VDSL-LINE-MIB but to define all the relevant objects in this MIB
   (because of the differences between SHDSL/VDSL versions described in
   those MIBs and DSL versions used in EFM, and for the purposes of
   simplicity and name consistency). Again, is it the right choice?

3. Notifications - should we add more and which ones?
   Currently defined are:
     - efmCuPmeLineDefect,
     - efmCuPmeLineAtnCrossing,
     - efmCuPmeRemoteLineAtnCrossing,
     - efmCuPmeSnrMgnCrossing,
     - efmCuPmeRemoteSnrMgnCrossing

   Additional ones could be:
     - efmCuPmePerfES,
     - efmCuPmePerfSES,
     - efmCuPmePerfCRCanomalies,
     - efmCuPmePerfLOSWS,
     - efmCuPmePerfUAS,
     - efmCuPmeDeviceFault,
     - efmCuPmeLocalPowerLoss

4. MAU-MIB shall be augmented to include the following new values for
   ifMauType (instances of dot2MauType):
   - dot3MauType2BaseTL - voice grade UTP Phy specified in Clause 61
and 63
   - dot3MauType10PassTS - voice grade UTP Phy specified in Clause 61
and 62
   Question: Should we include -O/-R subtype?

5. I would like to have both possibilities for EFMCu PME configuration:
   - A single profile for 10PassTS/Up to 5 profiles for 2BaseTL
     (each profile is a specific set of values for parameters
     comprising a profile, e.g. DataRate, Region, PSD, Constellation
     for 2BaseTL)
   - Set each parameter separately.

   For the meantime I've defined a profile variable in addition to
   parameter variables.
   Questions:
   - Should we have only one possibility?
   - Should we have both? Some error handling is needed when both
   Profile and parameters are specified, could be as simple as
   precedence rules.

6. In EFM Draft D3.1 a new layer at the PME is defined called TC, with
   corresponding error counters. Should we define a new Sequence in
   the MIB for TC or put all these counters under current
   efmCuPmeEntry Sequence (I'm leaning toward 2nd option).

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib