Subject: [Hubmib] FW: EPON MIB comments

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:21:55 +0200

Although these comments from one of the 802.3ae contributors came in after the WG Last Call deadline, I suggest that we enter them as Last Call comments and address them accordingly. 

Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Glen Kramer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 16 December, 2004 9:49 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Subject: EPON MIB comments

Dan,

I finally read the EPON MIB document. Below are my comments. I am not sure
if it is too late to make use of these, or not. Plsease, feel free to post
these on the reflector.

Regards,
Glen

1. In tables in section 7, object names that are split across lines lost a
letter.

2. dot3MpcpMode object should be read-only as is its counterpart in 802.3ah
(aMPCPMode attribute).

3. dot3MpcpRoundTripTime should be defined for the OLT only, similarly to
its counterpart in 802.3ah (aMPCPRoundTripTime attribute).  The ONUs are not
aware of the round-trip times to the OLT.

4. dot3MpcpOnTime and dot3MpcpOffTime. It is not clear from the description
that these objects refer to laser_on and laser_off times. Also, according to
the 802.3ah, these times are constant and fixed at 32 TQ. These objects are
not necessary.  Correspondingly, 802.3ah did not find it necessary to
specify such attributes in clause 30.
 
5. dot3MpcpRxNotSupportedMpcp.  The description of this object does not make
sense. If a frame is not supported, it is not an MPCP frame. Conversely,
there exist no unsupported MPCP frames. There is no matching attribute in
clause 30 in 802.3ah and this object should be removed from this draft as
well.

6. Not clear why dot3OmpEmulationSLDErrors is mandatory at the OLT but
optional at the ONU. It is not optional per 802.3ah and is relevant for both
devices. (For comparison, the dot3OmpEmulationCRC8Errors is mandatory in the
OLT and ONUs).

7. dot3OmpEmulationBroadcastLLIDPlusOnuId. It is not clear what the phrase
"broadcast LLID plus ONU's LLID (frame reflected)" means. Should it simply
say "broadcast or unicast LLID"?  Also, there is no relevant attribute in
clause 30 in 802.3ah.

8. dot3OmpEmulationNotBroadcastLLIDNotOnuId. This object is redundant, as
the dot3OmpEmulationBadLLID will count the same frames. I recommend removing
dot3OmpEmulationNotBroadcastLLIDNotOnuId from this draft.

9. The access to eponDeviceObjectReset object should be write-only. If
device is being reset, it cannot generate "reset" response. When the device
can generate the response, it will be running already. Thus, the only
possible response is "running".

10. The object eponDeviceObjectOamMode is not necessary. To get the OAM
mode, the management agent would access OAM MIB. No need to duplicate
objects in different MIBs.

11. eponDeviceObjectDeviceReadyMode object should be read-only. Modifying
device mode through the management may have unpredictable results (like
taking down entire EPON).

12. eponDeviceObjectPowerDown - "Setting this variable to True(1) will cause
Device to be entered into Power down mode where no registration is
allowed and only receiving data from the link.". This object does not make
sense. Setting it to True will cause the device lose the link (because no
transmission is allowed leading to MPCP timeout) and never register again
(because registration is not allowed).

13. eponDeviceObjectReportThreshold. The 802.3ah standard does not limit
number of thresholds to be used.  This object will only return the first
threshold for each queue. What about the rest of thresholds? How to read/set
them?

14. eponDeviceRemoteMACAddressLLIDControl - "Indicates and controls the
resetting of the LLID MAC address log. Setting this object to none(1) has no
action resetLog(2) empties the LLID MAC address log. All data is deleted.
Setting it to useDefaultReporting(3) returns all entries priorities to their
factory-default reporting. Reading this object always returns
useDefaultReporting(3)."
The description of this object seems to match some proprietary EPON device.
In the 802.3ah standard, there is no provision of whether to keep LLID MAC
address log. It is not clear, what does it mean "returns all entries
priorities to their factory-default reporting", since there is no
specification for either "entries" or "factory-default reporting". This
object should be removed.

15. Objects eponDeviceStatTxFramesQueue[0-7],
eponDeviceStatRxFramesQueue[0-7], and eponDeviceStatDroppedFramesQueue[0-7]
are not specific to EPON. These objects exist for other devices, such as
bridge ports. There is no need to duplicate these objects here. Besides,
neither 802.3ah nor 802.1D standards require exactly 8 queues to be
implemented. I recommend removing these objects.

16. The following objects represent non-EPON-specific events and should be
moved to OAM MIB.   
   eponDeviceSampleMinimum 
   eponDeviceDyingGaspAlarmState
   eponDeviceDyingGaspAlarmEnabled
   eponDeviceCriticalEventState
   eponDeviceCriticalEventEnabled
   eponDeviceLocalLinkFaultAlarmState
   eponDeviceLocalLinkFaultAlarmEnabled
   eponDeviceTemperatureEventIndicationState
   eponDeviceTemperatureEventIndicationEnabled
   eponDevicePowerVoltageEventIndicationState
   eponDevicePowerVoltageEventIndicationEnabled
   eponDeviceGlobalEventState
   eponDeviceGlobalEventEnabled
   eponDeviceErroredSymbolPeriodEventState
   eponDeviceErroredSymbolPeriodEventEnabled
   eponDeviceErroredFrameEventState
   eponDeviceErroredFrameEventEnabled
   eponDeviceErroredFramePeriodEventState
   eponDeviceErroredFramePeriodEventEnabled
   eponDeviceErroredFrameSecondsSummaryEventState
   eponDeviceErroredFrameSecondsSummaryEventEnabled
   eponDeviceOrganizationSpecificEventState
   eponDeviceOrganizationSpecificEventEnabled
   eponDeviceEventControl

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib