Subject: [Hubmib] FW: Draft PAR for revision of P802.3.1

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 18:35:07 +0100

If you are interested in participating in the further development of
the Ethernet MIBs my recommendation is to start participating in this
project (P802.3.1)

Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Frazier [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:45 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Subject: FW: Draft PAR for revision of P802.3.1

Dan,

Here it is.

Howard

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Frazier
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 4:25 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Draft PAR for revision of P802.3.1

Dear Members of the IEEE 802.3.1 Ethernet MIB modules Task Force,

Attached please find a draft of a proposed PAR for a revision of IEEE
Std 802.3.1 Standard for Management Information Base (MIB) definitions
for Ethernet.

As we are nearing completion of the initial project, it is time to start
the process to initiate a revision to catch the document up so that it
is synchronized and consistent with IEEE Std 802.3 Standard for Ethernet
(love the new title). Please review the draft PAR, and let me know if
you have any comments. I plan to seek approval of this PAR at the
upcoming plenary session, and to have it placed on the June IEEE-SA
Standards Board meeting agenda. 
Since it is a "maintenance" PAR, it need not be circulated to the IEEE
802 EC 30 days in advance of the plenary, and we don't need to work up a
5 Criteria slide deck.

You will note that the scope and purpose statements have been reworded
slightly in order to address comments that came up during the initial
project. We no longer use the words "future"
and "recent", and the purpose has been reworded to make it clear that
only the SNMP modules will be published in machine readable form.

I have been asked why the PAR does not include a list of the specific
amendments to IEEE Std 802.3 that will be reflected in the revision of
IEEE Std 802.3.1. Let me first state that I fully intend to mirror the
set of amendments that are being incorporated into the currently
underway revision of IEEE Std 802.3, which means all approved amendments
through 802.3bg. I believe that this should be captured in the project
objectives, rather than the PAR, because I don't want to have to go
through the process of changing the PAR in the event that we later
decide to deviate from this plan.
This is how we did it for the initial project, and I think it should
work just fine for the revision. I will send out a draft set of project
objectives shortly.

I look forward to meeting with you in Singapore.

Howard Frazier
Broadcom Corporation
Chair, IEEE 802.3.1 Ethernet MIB modules Task Force