Subject: [i2rs] Last Call: <draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model-10.txt> (A YANG Data Model for Routing Information Base (RIB)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:40:07 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Interface to the Routing System WG
(i2rs) to consider the following document: - 'A YANG Data Model for Routing
Information Base (RIB)'
  <draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model-10.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-03-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines a YANG data model for Routing Information Base
   (RIB) that aligns with the I2RS RIB information model.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: "tom p." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 17:22:49 -0000

This model has a
         leaf error-code {
           type uint32;
           description
             "The error code that reflects the failure reason.";

I work with error codes and know that understanding what they are
telling me is key to resolving problems promptly but I can see no list
of possible error codes and what they mean, just a statement that the
code is a uint32.  The text part of the I-D contains no mention of
error-code - outside the appearance in the tree diagram - AFAICT.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:40 PM
Subject: [i2rs] Last Call: <draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model-10.txt> (A
YANG Data Model for Routing Information Base (RIB)) to Proposed Standard

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 14:11:45 -0500

Tom:

Before I dig deeper into this point, let me ask a question - have you read
the rib Info model?  If you have, what would like moved from the RIB info
model to the Data model?  If you have not, please review it. 

The authors of the Data model aligned it with the RIB info model.
Comments from WG at the time were - just say error code.

Cheerily, Susan Hares 

-----Original Message-----
From: tom p. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 12:23 PM
To: ietf
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; Alia Atlas
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Last Call: <draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model-10.txt> (A
YANG Data Model for Routing Information Base (RIB)) to Proposed Standard

This model has a
         leaf error-code {
           type uint32;
           description

I work with error codes and know that understanding what they are telling me
is key to resolving problems promptly but I can see no list of possible
error codes and what they mean, just a statement that the code is a uint32.
The text part of the I-D contains no mention of error-code - outside the
appearance in the tree diagram - AFAICT.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:40 PM
Subject: [i2rs] Last Call: <draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model-10.txt> (A YANG
Data Model for Routing Information Base (RIB)) to Proposed Standard

---

From: "tom p." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:19:26 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 7:11 PM

> model to the Data model?  If you have not, please review it.

Susan

Why should I review the Info model? It is only a Informational Reference
so I do not need it to understand the data model.

I have looked at it and see no useful information about how to interpret
this uint32.

It may be that this is too early in the process to specify the hard
codes but if that is the case, then I think that the mechanics for
specifying them should be.

Tom Petch

> I work with error codes and know that understanding what they are
telling me
> Subject: [i2rs] Last Call: <draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model-10.txt> (A
YANG
> > The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and
solicits
> final
> > [email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-03-06. Exceptionally, comments
may
> be

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:03:31 -0500

Tom:

Thank you for your input. 

Sue 

-----Original Message-----
From: tom p. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2018 7:19 AM
To: Susan Hares; 'ietf'
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; 'Alia Atlas'
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Last Call: <draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model-10.txt> (A
YANG Data Model for Routing Information Base (RIB)) to Proposed Standard

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 7:11 PM

Susan

Why should I review the Info model? It is only a Informational Reference so
I do not need it to understand the data model.

It may be that this is too early in the process to specify the hard codes
but if that is the case, then I think that the mechanics for specifying them
should be.

Tom Petch

telling me
YANG
solicits
may