Subject: [iccrg] Special ICCRG at IETF96

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 19:24:03 -0700

"... and now for something completely different ..."

Dear all,

We have a 2-hour session at the IETF, scheduled for Thursday, July 21,
16:20 - 18:20 CEST.

As a one-off experiment, we are trying out a new format. We are focussing
this ICCRG meeting around a special theme: Congestion Control for Cellular
Networks.

There seems to be real interest in the industry right now for dealing with
congestion control issues in cellular networks. While operators seem to be
solving this problem locally with the help of various shades and shapes of
middleboxes, with the rise of encrypted end-to-end transports
like  SCTP/DTLS/UDP for WebRTC and QUIC for HTTP, there's increasing
interest in solving this problem end-to-end. This session was conceived
from a desire to provide a forum for this conversation to happen.

We have an excellent panel, and we hope to have some spirited discussion. The
current tentative agenda for the session is roughly as follows:
- Ingemar Johansson (Ericsson), presenting congestion control issues in
4G/5G networks <http://draft-johansson-cc-for-4g-5g/> .
- Mo Dong (UIUC), presenting Performance-Oriented Congestion Control (PCC)
<https://www.usenix.org/conference/nsdi15/technical-sessions/presentation/dong>
.
- Yasir Zaki (NYU), presenting Verus <http://www.sigcomm.org/node/3848>.
- Keith Winstein (Stanford), presenting work on assembling a "Pantheon of
Congestion Control".
- Open Q&A and discussion with the panel.

We're quite excited about the session, and we hope you can all make it!

Jana and Michael