Subject: [iccrg] [Networking-FIT'2017] Call for papers: FIT 2017 (Workshop on Future of Internet Transport) June 12, 2017

From: Naeem Khademi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 02:18:42 +0100

Hi all

This workshop might be of interest of people in ICCRG.

Cheers,
Naeem

Dear Colleagues,

We are very pleased to announce that the 1st International Workshop on
Future of Internet Transport (FIT 2017) will be held on June 12, 2017, in
Stockholm, Sweden (co-located with IFIP NETWORKING 2017). The workshop
website is available at:
http://networking.ifip.org/2017/index.php/workshops/workshop-on-future-of-internet-transport-fit-2017

---------------------------------------------------
Scope and Topics of Interest
---------------------------------------------------

There is an emerging demand by applications for new transport services
beyond what TCP or UDP can offer. These new demands stem from a need for
more flexible transport services, including the need to cater for very low
latency traffic, the ability to more efficiently exploit new access
technologies (e.g., cellular networks, WiFi, LEO satellites and possibly
combinations thereof) and the need to provide end-to-end functionality in
the presence of misbehaving middleboxes.

However, the Internet transport layer has become ossified, making it
difficult to introduce new protocols and transport services. There is a
"deployment vicious circle", where on the one hand, middlebox operators and
vendors have been hesitant to let through traffic from rarely used
protocols, and, on the other hand, application developers have been
hesitant to employ new transport protocols knowing that they are likely to
be blocked by middleboxes.

Several new solutions have been proposed over the recent years to address
the need for new services, including SCTP, Google's QUIC, MPTCP and Adobe's
RTMFP. Meanwhile the ossification problem has been approached from
different angles in order to provide a viable path to facilitate the
natural evolution of the Internet transport layer. For instance UDP
encapsulation techniques for transport protocols have been employed (used
by QUIC, RTMFP, Minion and PLUS) and transport/network "happy eyeballing"
mechanisms are considered for providing middlebox traversal (used by Apple
and discussed in the IETF). Another instance is the IETF's intention to
specify a new transport API that is protocol- and platform-independent and
allows the transport stack to independently evolve without requiring
application developers to participate in this process, hence breaking the
deployment vicious circle.

The FIT 2017 workshop will present and discuss research and development
within this problem space.  The workshop aims to address these questions:
(1) what approach is the most appropriate one for the long-term evolution
of Internet transports? (2) how can these different approaches be
compatible and interoperable with each other as they are being deployed
across the Internet and access links with widely varying characteristics?
and (3) which of these approaches provides the best transition path from
the current Internet transport architecture to the future transport?

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
• Solutions to the Internet transport layer ossification
• Scalable, deployable, extensible and flexible transport protocol and
service solutions
• New transport protocols, services and requirements (including extensions
to, or evaluations of, e.g., QUIC, SCTP, RTMFP, MPTCP)
• Middlebox traversal techniques and signalling (e.g., ICE, STUN, TURN, UDP
encapsulation)
• Service oriented and expressive transport APIs and Berkeley socket API
extensions
• Multipath transports and intelligent multipath resource utilization and
scheduling
• Transport protocols for data-center networks with implications on the
Internet (e.g., DCTCP)
• Transport protocol interactions with the network, e.g., to better
interoperate with WiFi, cellular or satellite networks
• TCP/UDP/IP extensions for richer transport services
• Opportunistic use of QoS mechanisms (e.g., DSCP usage in WebRTC)
• Less-than-best-effort transport protocols and services
• Transport selection mechanisms (e.g., happy-eyeballing)
• Transport layer security
• Web-based transport services (e.g., HTTP/2)
• Novel congestion control schemes (e.g. coupled, delay-based, ECN based,
Bottleneck Bandwidth and RTT based (e.g., BBR), model based)
• Design and performance of transport protocols in userland
• Transport protocols and solutions for multimedia traffic (e.g., WebRTC,
MPRTP, RTMFP)
• Standardization of transport protocols and services
• Novel Internet transport architectures

---------------------------------------------------
Submission Instructions
---------------------------------------------------
Submitted papers should be unpublished work and they should not be under
review by any other conference or journal. They must be no more than 6
pages (IEEE two-column format, 10pt) in total including references and
figures. Papers will be reviewed single-blind. Please follow the EDAS link
on https://edas.info/N23329 for submitting your paper. Guidelines on paper
submission and formatting are available in
http://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/publishing/templates.html.
Note that FIT 2017 adopts the IFIP TC Open Access policy. The IFIP DL is
Open Access. IFIP holds papers copyright, and releases it freely to authors
for any use. Accepted papers will appear in the symposium proceedings
published by IFIP and submitted to IEEE Xplore Digital Library. At least
one author of each accepted paper is required to register and present the
work in the workshop.

---------------------------------------------------
Important Dates
---------------------------------------------------

Paper submission deadline: March 8, 2017 (Extended deadline)
Paper acceptance notification: April 12, 2017
Camera ready: April 27, 2017
Workshop: June 12, 2017

---------------------------------------------------
Technical Program Committee
---------------------------------------------------

Anna Brunstrom (Karlstad University, Sweden)
David Black (Dell EMC, USA)
Zdravko Bozakov (Dell EMC, Ireland)
Jon Crowcroft (Cambridge University, United Kingdom)
Spencer Dawkins (Huawei Technologies, USA)
Gorry Fairhurst (University of Aberdeen, United Kingdom)
Karl-Johan Grinnemo (Karlstad University, Sweden)
Mirja Kuehlewind (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
Jörg Ott (Aalto University, Finland) (tentative)
Colin Perkins (University of Glasgow, United Kingdom)
David Ros (Simula Research Laboratory, Norway)
Brian Trammell (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
Michael Tüxen (Münster University of Applied Sciences, Germany)
Michael Welzl (Department of Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway)

---------------------------------------------------
Workshop Organizing Committee
---------------------------------------------------

Naeem Khademi (Department of Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway)
Stein Gjessing (Department of Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway)
Åke Arvidsson (Ericsson, Sweden)

Best regards,
FIT 2017 Organizers