Subject: [Ice] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-ice-dualstack-fairness-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 05:31:26 -0700

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ice-dualstack-fairness-04: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ice-dualstack-fairness/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm willing to resolve my discuss quickly but I would like to start some
discussion:

To me the recommenations given in this doc are not very clear. To my
understanding are there two recommenations:

1) intermingle IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, and
2) put lower priority for adresses that are know to have connectivity
problem.

However, that leaves tons of open questions to the implementor, e.g.
- How many IPv6 addresses should I have before the first IPv4?
- How do I measure/track that an interface has connectitivy problems:
connectivity failed once, or twice, or X-times? How long do I keep this
track: 1h, one day, one week, forever?

Would it be possible to be more specific and give further guidance? E.g.
how are these points implemented in the existing implementations?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Further, I think the term 'fairness' is just wrong here. The goal is to
avoid delay in case there are connectivity problems with IPv6 in general,
while still prioritizating IPv6. For me, that's nothing about fairness.