Subject: [Ice] Review of draft-holmberg-ice-pac-01

From: Qingsi Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 18:04:36 -0700

If all available candidate pairs have either performed triggered checks or
sent check response, but have timed out their checks however, should we
cancel the timer and conclude a failure? The rationale is to wait for
inbound checks, but if at least one round of checks are received, it's
unclear to me if the waiting would benefit compared to allowing the app
trigger an ICE restart after firing an failure.

The rest looks good to me.

Best,
Qingsi

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 08:12:16 +0000

Hi,

Doing an ICE restart means you have to collect and exchange candidates again. Of course one can do that once ICE failure has been declared, and nothing prevents one from doing an ICE restart after that if one thinks the result will be different. But, the focus of the draft is not to declare ICE failure while working candidates may still arrive.

Having said that, one should of course not wait forever for the peer reflexive candidates. The draft will not mandate a specific time value, but there probably will be a little more text about things to take into consideration when determining how long to wait.

Regards,

Christer

From: Ice <[email-masked]> on behalf of Qingsi Wang <qingsi=[email-masked]>
Date: Saturday, 30 March 2019 at 3.05
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Ice] Review of draft-holmberg-ice-pac-01

If all available candidate pairs have either performed triggered checks or sent check response, but have timed out their checks however, should we cancel the timer and conclude a failure? The rationale is to wait for inbound checks, but if at least one round of checks are received, it's unclear to me if the waiting would benefit compared to allowing the app trigger an ICE restart after firing an failure.

Best,
Qingsi