Subject: [icnrg] First public release of NDN Forwarding Daemon (NFD)

From: Alex Afanasyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:48:59 -0700

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce the initial public release (version 0.2.0) of the NDN
Forwarding Daemon (NFD).  NFD is a network forwarder that implements the Named Data
Networking (NDN) protocol.  More details about NFD, release notes, HOWTOs, a FAQ and other
useful resources are available at NFD's official webpage
(http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.2.0/).

Also available is the NFD developer's guide
(http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NFD-developer-guide.pdf), which provides
a detailed description of the implementation internals.

An important goal of NFD is to support the broader community to experiment with the NDN
architecture. Thus, the current release emphasizes **modularity** and **extensibility**
over performance to allow easy experimentation with new protocol features, algorithms,
data structures and applications.  We invite all interested parties to experiment with the
existing code and submit their contributions to NFD Redmine
(http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/nfd) or directly to Gerrit Code Review
(http://gerrit.named-data.net/#/both) in terms of new architecture features and
performance improvements.

***
More detailed information about the NFD release is available on the NDN website
   http://named-data.net/releases/NFD-0.2.0
***

This release is part of the new NDN Platform version 0.3
(http://named-data.net/releases/platform-0.3), which includes the following components:

- The NDN Forwarding Daemon (NFD), version 0.2.0
   http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.2.0/

- The ndn-cxx library, version 0.2.0
   http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.2.0/

   + The NDN C++ library with eXperimental eXtensions (CXX)
   + The ndnsec security tools to manage security identities and certificates

- The NDN Common Client libraries suite (NDN-CCL), version 0.3
   http://named-data.net/releases/CCL-0.3

   + The NDN-CPP C++ library
   + The PyNDN2 Python library
   + The NDN-JS JavaScript library
   + (A Java library is coming soon)

- The Named Data Link State Routing Protocol (NLSR), version 0.1.0
   http://named-data.net/doc/NLSR/0.1.0/

- The next generation of NDN repository (repo-ng), version 0.1.0
   http://github.com/named-data/repo-ng

- A ping application for NDN (ndn-tlv-ping), version 0.2.0
   http://github.com/named-data/ndn-tlv-ping

- A traffic generator for NDN (ndn-traffic-generator), version 0.2.0
   http://github.com/named-data/ndn-traffic-generator

- A packet capture and analysis tool for NDN (ndndump), version 0.5
   https://github.com/named-data/ndndump

The NFD Team.