Subject: [icnrg] REMINDER: Workshop "Multimedia Streaming in Information-/Content-Centric Networks (MuSIC) 2016"

From: "George C. Polyzos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 21:51:54 +0200

Happy New Year! -GP

-------------------------------------------------------------
Workshop MuSIC 2016 - Call for Papers
-------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Streaming in Information-/Content-Centric Networks
in conjunction with IEEE INFOCOM 2016 (http://infocom2016.ieee-infocom.org/)
Monday, April 11, 2016; San Francisco, CA, USA
-------------------------------------------------------------
http://music2016.itec.aau.at/
-------------------------------------------------------------

Motivation and Goals
--------------------

With the exponential growth of content in recent years (in particular, 
real-time video for entertainment) and the availability of the same 
content at multiple locations (e.g., the same video being hosted at 
YouTube and Dailymotion), users are interested in fetching a particular 
content and not where that content is hosted. In today’s IP networking 
world, Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) are the primary (overlay) means 
to deliver massive amounts of real-time content, e.g., video streams, to 
clients in a satisfying manner. However, native mechanisms to support 
efficient content distribution have not become available in IP networks. 
Moreover, the ever-increasing number of mobile devices that lack fixed 
addresses calls for a more flexible network architecture.

Among the initiatives and proposals countering these problems and 
challenges, Information-Centric Networking (ICN) is a promising 
approach, treating content as a first-class citizen, bringing efficient 
content delivery into focus, and aiming to evolve the current Internet 
from a host-to-host communication-based architecture to a 
content-oriented one where named objects are retrieved in a reliable, 
secure and efficient manner. Content-Centric Networking (CCN) / Named 
Data Networking (NDN) are the most active projects, and rapid progress 
has been made in recent years, resulting in both clean-slate and overlay 
architectures and solutions.

The MuSIC 2016 workshop, which is the result of merging the two 
successful initial workshops MuSIC 2015 (http://music2015.itec.aau.at/) 
and CCN 2015 (http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~szm0001/ccn2015/), thus pursues 
two major goals:

First, the workshop will give emphasis to the predominant source of 
traffic, i.e., real-time multimedia data delivery/streaming, and the 
resulting requirements, challenges and opportunities in the context of 
ICN. The workshop will specifically consider video-on-demand (VoD) and 
voice/video conferencing (live) applications on ICN, but other 
distributed multimedia applications are welcome, such as gaming. All 
aspects of media streaming in ICN will be addressed, including: basic 
principles and insights; protocols, mechanisms and policies (strategies) 
in ICN nodes; routing; measures and metrics for real-time behavior, QoS 
and QoE; evaluation methodology; prototype implementations, testbeds, 
and demos; and comparisons of different ICN architectures and with 
IP-based systems. Following up on the major goal of the MuSIC 2015 
workshop, MuSIC 2016 will provide a forum that will bring the Multimedia 
Systems/Communications and Information-/Content-Centric Networking 
communities together, spawn intense discussions, exchange and learnings 
at the intersection of the two areas, and help establish common 
terminology, work and projects.

Second, CCN/NDN as the most actively explored approaches in the area, 
will be addressed in specific depth. The workshop will bring together 
researchers from academia and industry and investigate the architectural 
issues and challenges in CCN/NDN. While multiple initial architectural 
designs addressing in-network caching, mobility support and multipath 
routing have been proposed and prototypes have been implemented, areas 
such as security, privacy and economic models for, as well as multimedia 
streaming in, CCN/NDN have received limited attention. We invite 
submissions investigating and understanding some of the challenges in 
CCN/NDN, describing new research contributions, and showing potential to 
foster collaboration among researchers interested in CCN/NDN.

Topics of Interest
------------------

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following ones; 
contributions addressing multimedia streaming over ICN (in general) 
and/or CCN/NDN architecture design aspects (more specifically) will be 
of highest interest:
- Content-oriented routing protocols
- Content naming
- ICN/CCN-specific transport protocols
- Content-centric wireless networks
- Mobility management
- Content-aware resource management in ICN/CCN
- Congestion detection and control
- Error and loss control and mitigation
- Forwarding and aggregation strategies
- Replication and caching strategies
- Caching effects (probably unexpected and/or undesired)
- Security and privacy issues
- ICN/CCN deployment and scalability issues
- Economics and business models
- Limits and limitations of ICN/CCN architectures
- Video-on-demand applications, prototypes, and demos over ICN/CCN
- Voice/video conferencing applications, prototypes, and demos over ICN/CCN
- Novel multimedia applications, prototypes, and demos over ICN/CCN
- Content adaptation and use of scalable media content in ICN/CCN
- Media stream adaptation, bandwidth estimation, buffer management on 
ICN/CCN clients
- Fairness issues and metrics in ICN/CCN
- DRM and its impact on or interplay with caching in ICN/CCN
- QoS and QoE mechanisms and metrics: impact on and interplay with ICN/CCN
- Evaluation methodologies, in particular ICN/CCN simulation and 
experimental testbeds

Submissions to the Workshop
---------------------------

- Paper length: Prospective authors are invited to submit full-length 
papers, up to six (6) pages long, by Jan. 8, 2016 (firm deadline).
- Paper format: For author guidelines and paper templates please see the 
EDAS Conference Management System. Details will follow soon.
- Paper submission: All submissions are to be made via the EDAS 
Conference Management System. Details will follow soon.
- Review process: Each submission will be peer-reviewed by at least 
three members of the TPC.
- Accepted papers: Papers accepted for the workshop must be presented by 
one of the authors. Papers will be published in the Proceedings of the 
IEEE INFOCOM 2016 Workshops and also on-line in the IEEE Xplore digital 
library.

For general submission conditions and instructions, please refer to the 
main IEEE INFOCOM 2016 "Call for Submissions" Webpage 
(http://infocom2016.ieee-infocom.org/).

Important Dates
---------------

- Paper submission:   Jan. 8, 2016 (firm deadline)
- Paper acceptance:   Feb. 5, 2016
- Camera-ready paper: Feb. 26, 2016
- Workshop:           April 11, 2016

Committees
----------

Steering Committee
------------------
- Chang Wen Chen, SUNY at Buffalo, USA
- J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, UCSC, USA
- George Pavlou, University College London, UK
- George C. Polyzos, AUEB, Greece, and UCSD, USA
- Cedric Westphal, Huawei, USA

Organizers
----------
- J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, UCSC, USA
- Hermann Hellwagner, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- Shiwen Mao, Auburn University, USA
- George C. Polyzos, AUEB, Greece
- Anand Seetharam, CSUMB, USA

Technical Program Committee Chairs
----------------------------------
- Hermann Hellwagner, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- Anand Seetharam, CSUMB, USA

Technical Program Committee
---------------------------
- Alexander Afanasyev, UCLA, USA
- Ali Begen, Ozyegin University, Turkey
- Gautam Bhanage, Aruba Networks, USA
- Laszlo Böszörmenyi, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- Jeff Burke, UCLA, USA
- Antonio Carzaniga, Universita della Svizzera Italiana, Switzerland
- Wei Koong Chai, University College London, UK
- Mauro Conti, University of Padua, Italy
- Filip De Turck, Ghent University, Belgium
- Wolfgang Effelsberg, Universität Mannheim and TU Darmstadt, Germany
- Pascal Frossard, EPFL, Switzerland
- Carsten Griwodz, Simula Research Lab and University of Oslo, Norway
- Mohamed Hefeeda, Simon Fraser University, Canada
- Bo Jiang, University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA
- Dirk Kutscher, NEC Labs Europe, Germany
- Benyuan Liu, University of Massachusetts Lowell, USA
- Hang Liu, The Catholic University of America, USA
- Victoria Manfredi, BBN Technologies, USA
- Shiwen Mao, Auburn University, USA
- Daniel Sadoc Menasche, Federal University of Rio de Janerio, Brazil
- Satyajayant Misra, New Mexico State University, USA
- Börje Ohlman, Ericsson Research, Sweden
- Wei Tsang Ooi, National University of Singapore
- Jörg Ott, Technische Universität München, Germany
- Christos Papadopoulos, Colorado State University, USA
- George C. Polyzos, AUEB, Greece, and UCSD, USA
- Ioannis Psaras, University College London, UK
- Benjamin Rainer, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- Antonia Guto Rocha, Fluminense Federal University, Brazil
- Damien Saucez, INRIA, France
- Shamik Sengupta, University of Nevada Reno, USA
- Gwendal Simon, Telecom Bretagne, France
- Vasilios Siris, AUEB, Greece
- Ignacio Solis, PARC, USA
- Bin Tang, California State University, Dominguez Hills, USA
- Christian Timmerer, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- Laura Toni, EPFL, Switzerland
- Dirk Trossen, InterDigital, UK
- Matthias Waehlisch, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
- G. Q. Wang, Huawei, USA
- Lan Wang, University of Memphis, USA
- George Xylomenos, AUEB, Greece
- Fan Ye, Stony Brook University, USA
- Honggang Zhang, Fordham University, USA
- Xinggong Zhang, Peking University, China
- Roger Zimmermann, National University of Singapore
- Michael Zink, University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA