Subject: [icnrg] CFP: NDSS Workshop on Decentralized Security and Standards (DISS 2018)

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 15:26:03 +0200

[apologies if you receive multiple copies of this]
----------------------------------------------------------------

                       CALL FOR PAPERS

                      NDSS Workshop on
       Decentralized IoT Security and Standards (DISS 2018)

                      Co-located with
      Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS)

      https://www.ndss-symposium.org/ndss2018/cfp-ndss2018-diss/
           San Diego, California, on February 18th, 2018

The success of the Internet of Things (IoT) depends significantly on 
solving the underlying security and privacy challenges. Due to their 
scale of deployment and limited resources, some of these systems will be 
extremely challenging to secure. One key aspect is decentralization, as 
many if not most of IoT scenarios include intermittent connectivity. 
Furthermore, decentralized security may help to overcome privacy 
concerns and scalability bottlenecks, both of which become increasingly 
serious in large-scale deployments, such as smart cities or Industry 
4.0.

A decentralized approach to IoT security brings forth many opportunities 
but also challenges, such as operating with constrained device and 
network capabilities, state synchronization, and trust management.

At the same time, many IoT standards are now under development and 
decisions are being made today which will have long-term impact on the 
security of these systems. Of particular interest are open standards 
(e.g., IETF CoAP, OCF, and LWM2M), developed by organizations such as 
the IETF and the W3C including W3C Web of Things. Many of these open 
standards implicitly or explicitly support metadata and have 
interoperability as goals. These features widen the scope and enhance 
the utility of these standards, but also raise new security and privacy 
issues that need to be discussed and addressed. Systems composed of 
multiple standards also raise challenges: for example, how to maintain 
security across bridges and how to evaluate trust across standards 
boundaries.

Following the spirit of NDSS, the goal of this workshop is to bring 
together researchers and practitioners to analyze and discuss the 
potential and limits of decentralized security in the IoT, especially in 
the light of ongoing standardisation work and wider systems 
interoperability.

The proposed topics include the following:

* Enabling secure interoperability across IoT ecosystems, including
  * Applying blockchains and Distributed Ledger Technology to IoT 
infrastructure
  * Security and availability in multi-tiered IoT edge networks ("fog 
computing")
  * Peer-to-Peer security and privacy (P2P) in IoT
  * Decentralized trust and rights management, including access control
  * Decentralized authentication and access management at the IoT edge

* Security and privacy in ongoing IoT standardisation work, including
  * Security and privacy in W3C Web of Things, OCF, IETF CoRE and ACE, 
etc.
  * Semantic modeling and descriptive approaches for security
  * Convergence/divergence between web, fog, cloud, and IoT security 
standards
  * Decentralized IoT security architectures for 5G Networks
  * Privacy, identity, and metadata management
  * Integrating "multi-standard" systems with different levels of 
security and trust

* Other topics related to decentralized security and standardization in 
IoT, such as
  * Security and privacy trade-offs related to IoT scalability and 
decentralization
  * Secure Service provisioning and migration in IoT
  * Sensor and Actuator Key Management and other Security Protocols
  * Smart Contracts for IoT, including formal verification of smart 
contracts
  * Application of concepts from outside of the IoT to decentralized IoT 
security
  * Usable security for decentralized IoT

Submission Instructions

The workshop will accept position papers between three to six pages in 
length, for publication in post-workshop proceedings. Proceedings will 
be published by the Internet Society. Papers shall be submitted for 
review in print-ready form using the NDSS paper template and otherwise 
follow the NDSS paper standards. For a paper to be published, at least 
one of the authors must attend the entire workshop, the paper must be 
revised based on the discussion at the workshop, and the revised paper 
must be submitted in time for the publication deadline.

Please submit your work via 
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ndssdiss2018

Important dates and venue

* Abstract submission: 01 December 2017
* Paper Submissions Due: 08 December 2017
* Acceptance/Rejection Notice to Authors: 13 January 2018

The workshop is co-located with NDSS 2018 
(https://www.ndss-symposium.org/ndss2018/), taking place Catamaran 
Resort Hotel and Spa in San Diego, California, on February 18th, 2018.

Organizing committee

* Carsten Bormann, Universität Bremen
* Dirk Kutscher, Huawei German Research Center
* Michael McCool, Intel
* Pekka Nikander, Aalto University
* George C. Polyzos, Athens University of Economics and Business
* Thomas C. Schmidt, Hamburg University of Applied Sciences
* Matthias W‰hlisch, Freie Universität Berlin

Program committee

* Olaf Bergmann, TZI
* Thorsten Dahm, Google
* Oscar Garcia-Morchon, Philipps
* Raja Jurdak, CSIRO
* Matthias Kovatsch, ETH Zurich / Siemens AG
* Michal KrÛl, UCL
* Barry Leiba, Huawei
* Samuel Marchal, Aalto University
* Jörg Ott, TU Munich
* Oliver Pfaff, Siemens
* Shahid Raza, RISE Research Institute
* Elena Reshetova, Intel
* Eve Schooler, Intel
* Göran Selander, Ericsson
* Mohit Sethi, Ericsson
* Angelos Stavrou, GMU
* Davor Svetinovic, Masdar Institute, Khalifa University of Science and 
Technology
* Hannes Tschofening, ARM
* Florian Tschorsch, TU Berlin
* Christian Tschudin, University of Basel
* Gene Tsudik, University of California, Irvine

Contact

You can contact the chairs via [email-masked].