Subject: [icnrg] RG adoption of the draft: Design Considerations for Applying ICN to IoT

From: Börje Ohlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 13:29:23 +0000

Hi all,

After the discussion we had on this draft in Singapore the ICNRG Chairs would like ask for additional comments from the mailing list on adopting this draft as an RG document. Please  let us know your support for this or if you have some concerns.
ICN Research Group                                              Y. Zhang
Internet-Draft                                            D. Raychadhuri
Intended status: Informational                WINLAB, Rutgers University
Expires: December 28, 2017                                     L. Grieco
                                               Politecnico di Bari (DEI)
                                                             E. Baccelli
                                                                   INRIA
                                                                J. Burke
                                                              UCLA REMAP
                                                            R. Ravindran
                                                                 G. Wang
                                                     Huawei Technologies
                                                             A. Lindgren
                                                              B. Ahlgren
                                                               RISE SICS
                                                              O. Schelen
                                          Lulea University of Technology
                                                           June 26, 2017

             Design Considerations for Applying ICN to IoT
                      draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-01

Abstract

   The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to connect billions of objects
   to the Internet.  After deploying many stand-alone IoT systems in
   different domains, the current trend is to develop a common, "thin
   waist" of protocols over a horizontal unified, defragmented IoT
   architecture.  Such an architecture will make objects accessible to
   applications across organizations and domains.  Towards this goal,
   quite a few proposals have been made to build an application-layer
   based unified IoT platform on top of today's host-centric Internet.
   However, there is a fundamental mismatch between the host-centric
   nature of todays Internet and mostly information-centric nature of
   the IoT system.  To address this mismatch, an information-centric
   network (ICN) architecture can provide a common set of protocols and
   services, called 'ICN-IoT', which can be used to build IoT platforms.
   ICN-IoT leverages the salient features of ICN, and thus provides
   naming, security, mobility support,scalability, and efficient content
   and service delivery.

   This draft summarizes general IoT demands, and covers the challenges
   and design considerations ICN faces to realize a ICN-IoT framework
   based on ICN architecture.

From the chairs’s perspective, this draft has seen some review in the group, and the general feedback suggests that this is useful work.

It’s not ready for publication of course, but turning it into an RG document means that we as a group can work together on the important topic on ICN can best be relevant for IoT.

Thanks,
Börje, Dave, Dirk

---

From: Ravi Ravindran <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 02:44:34 +0000

Thank you Chairs. Since the draft was not updated for the last IETF, it certainly misses some of the latest work in this area. 

In the last iteration, the draft has seen significant update based on Dave's comments.

Reviewers can point to other issues in the draft, we will ensure to address them too in the next iteration.

Regards,
Ravi

-----Original Message-----
From: icnrg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Börje Ohlman
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2017 5:29 AM
To: icnrg <[email-masked]>
Subject: [icnrg] RG adoption of the draft: Design Considerations for Applying ICN to IoT

Hi all,

Abstract

Thanks,
Börje, Dave, Dirk

_______________________________________________
icnrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg

---

From: Jungha Hong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 06:19:57 +0000

I support adoption.

Thanks,

Jungha Hong

________________________________
보낸 사람 : "Börje Ohlman" <[email-masked]>
보낸 날짜 : 2017-12-08 22:29:38 ( +09:00 )
받는 사람 : icnrg <[email-masked]>
참조 :
제목 : [icnrg] RG adoption of the draft: Design Considerations for Applying ICN to IoT

Hi all,

E. Baccelli

INRIA

J. Burke

UCLA REMAP

R. Ravindran

G. Wang

Huawei Technologies

A. Lindgren

B. Ahlgren

RISE SICS

O. Schelen

June 26, 2017

Abstract

and service delivery.

Thanks,

Börje, Dave, Dirk

icnrg mailing list

[email-masked]

---

From: "Z.W. Yan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:50:20 +0800

I support this adoption.

Zhiwei Yan

Hi all, 

E. Baccelli 

INRIA 

J. Burke 

UCLA REMAP 

R. Ravindran 

G. Wang 

Huawei Technologies 

A. Lindgren 

B. Ahlgren 

RISE SICS 

O. Schelen 

June 26, 2017 

Abstract 

and service delivery. 

Thanks, 

Börje, Dave, Dirk 

icnrg mailing list 

[email-masked]

---

From: Syed Hassan Ahmed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 21:05:37 -0500

Hi everyone, 

I have been silently following up with the document and it seems pretty mature now. I support its adaptation. 

Fingers crossed. 

------------------------------------------------------
Syed Hassan Ahmed, Ph.D., MIEEE
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering,
University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816, USA.
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.hassanonline.us 
------------------------------------------------------

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 8:50 PM, Z.W. Yan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I support this adoption.
>  
> Zhiwei Yan