Subject: [Id-event] WG Review: Security Events (secevent)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:04:28 -0700

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Security Area. The IESG has not
made any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted,
and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2016-10-24.

Security Events (secevent)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>

Security Area Directors:
  Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
  Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/id-event
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/id-event/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-secevent/

Many identity related protocols require a mechanism to convey messages 
between systems in order to prevent or mitigate security risks, or to 
provide out-of-band information as necessary. For example, an OAuth 
authorization server, having received a token revocation request 
(RFC7009) may need to inform affected resource servers; a cloud provider 
may wish to inform another cloud provider of suspected fraudulent use of 
identity information; an identity provider may wish to signal a session 
logout to a relying party.

It is expected that several identity and security working groups and
organizations will use Identity Event Tokens to describe area-specific
events such as: SCIM Provisioning Events, OpenID RISC Events, and
OpenID Connect Backchannel Logout, among others.

The Security Events working group will produce a standards-track Event 
Token specification that includes:
 - A JWT extension for expressing security events
 - A syntax that enables event-specific data to be conveyed
This Event Token specification will be event transport independent.

The working group will also develop a simple standards-track Event 
Delivery specification that includes:
 - A method for delivering events using HTTP POST (push)
 - Metadata for describing event feeds
 - Methods for subscribing to and managing event feeds
 - Methods for validating event feed subscriptions

Milestones:
  Oct 2016 - Initial adoption of event token and event delivery drafts
  Feb 2017 - WG last call of event token draft
  Apr 2017 - Event token draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard
  Jul 2017 - WG last call of event delivery draft
  Sep 2017 - Event delivery draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard
  Nov 2017 - Recharter or Conclude