Subject: [Ideas] IDEAS Charter

From: Padma Pillay-Esnault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 18:55:17 -0700

Dear IDEAS

The final outcome of the discussions on the alias is reflected in the text
below. This version is based on the edits done by Alvaro, some of the
latest comments and fixing some nits.

Thank you all for your feedback and comments.

Looking forward to the next milestone

Padma

IDEAS: “IDentity EnAbled networkS”

Network solutions based on the concept of Identifier-Locator separation are
increasingly considered to support mobility, overlay networking for
virtualization and multi-homing across heterogeneous access networks.
Identifier-locator separation protocols require infrastructure that allows
nodes to discover the network topological location(s) of its peer(s) for
packet delivery. A common infrastructure and protocol could be used by
identifier/locator protocols as well as network virtualization. However,
additional infrastructure and new protocol extensions are needed to address
new requirements that go well beyond the traditional discovery service and
mapping of identifier-to-location for packet delivery. Identifier-locator
protocols are also useful for additional services involving dynamic
association of a name to a set of network addresses - these include dynamic
multicast, cloud service anycast and context-aware IoT queries.

The IDEAS WG is chartered to produce a framework document that defines the
expected behavior of a mapping system across the multiple existing use
cases.  The framework will aim at a homogeneous behavior across use cases,
and it will call out specific trade-offs that may be considered in the
development of solutions.  We refer to the framework providing the set of
services as Generic Identity Services (GRIDS).

Some of the areas that should be considered when developing the framework
include:

- Flexibility and extensibility considerations

- Description of interfaces for different protocols to interact with the
framework (e.g. id-loc split protocols, management protocols, etc)

- Requirements for identifier/locator mapping resolution and mapping update
(e.g. discovery, pub/sub, multi-homing, ...)

- Registration and lifecycle management of identities and their associated
identifiers.

- Identity authentication and authorization (e.g. access to framework,
update of information for identifiers..)

- Description of required basic network policies and policy enforcement
needs (e.g. ability to look up an identifier-locator pair, permit
forwarding traffic for particular endpoints on a per-identity basis…)

- Analysis of the concepts of identity-identifier split and dynamic
identifier changes, including their implications on anonymity and privacy.

The IDEAS WG will closely collaborate with LISP and HIP WGs. The WG will
also collaborate with other WG as needed.

WG deliverables include:

(1) Generic Identity Services Framework

(2) Other WG sustaining/informational documents may include:

These documents may not necessarily be published, but may be maintained in
a draft form or on a collaborative Working Group wiki to support the
efforts of the Working Group and help new comers:

- Problem statement

- Use cases

- Requirements for identifier/locator mapping and resolution

- Requirements for identity authentication and authorization service (for
GRIDS).

- Applications of the architecture for use cases

- Threat model document

Milestones

January 2018 Adopt WG draft for the Generic Identity Services framework

July 2018 WGLC for the Generic Identity Services framework

September 2018 Send Generic Identity Services framework draft to the IESG

November 2018 Recharter

---

From: Sam Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 08:42:55 -0400

Padma,

The updated charter looks great!

Thanks for the relentless effort in putting everything together. Looking forward to the next phase to implement the charter!

All the best,
Sam

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Ideas] IDEAS Charter
From: Padma Pillay-Esnault
To: [email-masked]
CC:

Dear IDEAS

The final outcome of the discussions on the alias is reflected in the text below. This version is based on the edits done by Alvaro, some of the latest comments and fixing some nits.

Padma

IDEAS:
“IDentity EnAbled networkS”

Network
solutions based on the concept of Identifier-Locator separation are
increasingly considered to support mobility, overlay networking for
virtualization and multi-homing across heterogeneous access networks.
Identifier-locator separation protocols require infrastructure that allows
nodes to discover the network topological location(s) of its peer(s) for packet
delivery. A common infrastructure and protocol could be used by
identifier/locator protocols as well as network virtualization. However,
additional infrastructure and new protocol extensions are needed to address new
requirements that go well beyond the traditional discovery service and mapping
of identifier-to-location for packet delivery. Identifier-locator protocols are
also useful for additional services involving dynamic association of a name to
a set of network addresses - these include dynamic multicast, cloud service
anycast and context-aware IoT queries.

The IDEAS
WG is chartered to produce a framework document that defines the expected
behavior of a mapping system across the multiple existing use cases.  The
framework will aim at a homogeneous behavior across use cases, and it will call
out specific trade-offs that may be considered in the development of
solutions.  We refer to the framework providing the set of services as
Generic Identity Services (GRIDS).

Some of
the areas that should be considered when developing the framework include:

- Flexibility
and extensibility considerations

- Description
of interfaces for different protocols to interact with the framework (e.g.
id-loc split protocols, management protocols, etc)

- Requirements
for identifier/locator mapping resolution and mapping update (e.g. discovery,
pub/sub, multi-homing, ...)

-
Registration and lifecycle management of identities and their associated
identifiers.

-
Identity authentication and authorization (e.g. access to framework, update of
information for identifiers..)

- Description
of required basic network policies and policy enforcement needs (e.g. ability
to look up an identifier-locator pair, permit forwarding traffic for particular
endpoints on a per-identity basis…)

- Analysis
of the concepts of identity-identifier split and dynamic identifier changes,
including their implications on anonymity and privacy.

The IDEAS
WG will closely collaborate with LISP and HIP WGs. The WG will also collaborate
with other WG as needed.

WG
deliverables include:

(1) Generic
Identity Services Framework

(2) Other
WG sustaining/informational documents may include:

These
documents may not necessarily be published, but may be maintained in a draft
form or on a collaborative Working Group wiki to support the efforts of the
Working Group and help new comers:

- Problem
statement

- Use
cases

-
Requirements for identifier/locator mapping and resolution

-
Requirements for identity authentication and authorization service (for GRIDS).

-
Applications of the architecture for use cases

- Threat
model document

Milestones

January
2018 Adopt WG draft for the Generic Identity Services framework

July 2018
WGLC for the Generic Identity Services framework

September
2018 Send Generic Identity Services framework draft to the IESG

November 2018 Recharter

---

From: "Victor Moreno (vimoreno)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 05:59:50 +0000

+1

I support this as the charter to put forward.

Victor

On Sep 2, 2017, at 5:43 AM, Sam Sun <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Padma,

All the best,
Sam

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Ideas] IDEAS Charter
From: Padma Pillay-Esnault
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
CC:

Dear IDEAS

Padma

IDEAS: "IDentity EnAbled networkS"

Network solutions based on the concept of Identifier-Locator separation are increasingly considered to support mobility, overlay networking for virtualization and multi-homing across heterogeneous access networks. Identifier-locator separation protocols require infrastructure that allows nodes to discover the network topological location(s) of its peer(s) for packet delivery. A common infrastructure and protocol could be used by identifier/locator protocols as well as network virtualization. However, additional infrastructure and new protocol extensions are needed to address new requirements that go well beyond the traditional discovery service and mapping of identifier-to-location for packet delivery. Identifier-locator protocols are also useful for additional services involving dynamic association of a name to a set of network addresses - these include dynamic multicast, cloud service anycast and context-aware IoT queries.

The IDEAS WG is chartered to produce a framework document that defines the expected behavior of a mapping system across the multiple existing use cases.  The framework will aim at a homogeneous behavior across use cases, and it will call out specific trade-offs that may be considered in the development of solutions.  We refer to the framework providing the set of services as Generic Identity Services (GRIDS).

Some of the areas that should be considered when developing the framework include:

- Description of interfaces for different protocols to interact with the framework (e.g. id-loc split protocols, management protocols, etc)

- Requirements for identifier/locator mapping resolution and mapping update (e.g. discovery, pub/sub, multi-homing, ...)

- Registration and lifecycle management of identities and their associated identifiers.

- Identity authentication and authorization (e.g. access to framework, update of information for identifiers..)

- Description of required basic network policies and policy enforcement needs (e.g. ability to look up an identifier-locator pair, permit forwarding traffic for particular endpoints on a per-identity basis...)

- Analysis of the concepts of identity-identifier split and dynamic identifier changes, including their implications on anonymity and privacy.

The IDEAS WG will closely collaborate with LISP and HIP WGs. The WG will also collaborate with other WG as needed.

WG deliverables include:

These documents may not necessarily be published, but may be maintained in a draft form or on a collaborative Working Group wiki to support the efforts of the Working Group and help new comers:

- Problem statement

- Use cases

- Requirements for identity authentication and authorization service (for GRIDS).

- Threat model document

Milestones

November 2018 Recharter

_______________________________________________
Ideas mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ideas

---

From: Lan Gao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 08:34:57 +0800

The new charter looks great. It will be a good foundation to build upon.

Regards,
Lan Gao

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Victor Moreno (vimoreno) <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2017, at 5:43 AM, Sam Sun <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Padma,
>
> Thanks for the relentless effort in putting everything together. Looking
> forward to the next phase to implement the charter!
>
> All the best,
> Sam
>
>
> Network solutions based on the concept of Identifier-Locator separation
> are increasingly considered to support mobility, overlay networking for
> - Requirements for identifier/locator mapping resolution and mapping
> update (e.g. discovery, pub/sub, multi-homing, ...)
>
>
>
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]

---

From: Georgios Karagiannis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 07:38:02 +0000

+1

Please note that I also support this charter.

Best regards,
Georgios

From: Ideas [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Victor Moreno (vimoreno)
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 8:00 AM
To: Sam Sun
Cc: Padma Pillay-Esnault; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ideas] IDEAS Charter

+1

Victor

All the best,
Sam

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Ideas] IDEAS Charter
From: Padma Pillay-Esnault
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
CC:

Dear IDEAS

Padma

WG deliverables include:

- Problem statement

- Use cases

- Threat model document

Milestones

November 2018 Recharter

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 07:43:25 +0000

Dear all,

Thanks again to Padma for the editing effort. I too support this charter.

Cheers,

Christian.

De : Ideas [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Padma Pillay-Esnault
Envoyé : samedi 2 septembre 2017 03:55
À : [email-masked]
Objet : [Ideas] IDEAS Charter

Dear IDEAS

Padma

- Description of required basic network policies and policy enforcement needs (e.g. ability to look up an identifier-locator pair, permit forwarding traffic for particular endpoints on a per-identity basis…)

WG deliverables include:

- Problem statement

- Use cases

- Threat model document

Milestones

November 2018 Recharter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that may be protected by law;
they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message and its attachments.
As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.

---

From: Albert Cabellos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 16:49:59 +0900

+1

Thanks Padma for the hard work!

Albert

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 4:43 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> *De :* Ideas [mailto:[email-masked]] *De la part de* Padma
> Pillay-Esnault
> *En**voyé :* samedi 2 septembre 2017 03:55
> *À :* [email-masked]
> *Objet :* [Ideas] IDEAS Charter
>
>
>
> Dear IDEAS
>
>
>

---

From: Rita Mi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 16:00:53 +0800 (CST)

Dear Padma:

+1

Thank you very much.

Rita Mi

From: "Padma Pillay-Esnault <[email-masked]>"

To: "ideas <[email-masked]>"

CC:

Sent: 2017-09-02 09:55

Dear IDEAS

Padma

IDEAS:

Network

The IDEAS

Some of

- Flexibility

- Description

- Requirements

-

-

- Description

- Analysis

The IDEAS

WG
deliverables include:

(1) Generic

(2) Other

These

- Problem
statement

- Use
cases

-

-

-

- Threat
model document

Milestones

January

July 2018

September

November 2018 Recharter

---

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 08:06:39 +0000

Same here !

Pascal

From: Ideas [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: lundi 4 septembre 2017 09:43
To: Padma Pillay-Esnault <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ideas] IDEAS Charter

Dear all,

Cheers,

Christian.

De : Ideas [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Padma Pillay-Esnault
Envoyé : samedi 2 septembre 2017 03:55
À : [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Objet : [Ideas] IDEAS Charter

Dear IDEAS

Padma

WG deliverables include:

- Problem statement

- Use cases

- Threat model document

Milestones

November 2018 Recharter

Thank you.

---

From: Di Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 17:07:04 +0800

This updated charter looks good to me.

I am in favor of it.

Thanks to Padma.

Di  Ma
RPSTIR
https://bgpsecurity.net

> 在 2017年9月2日，09:55，Padma Pillay-Esnault <[email-masked]> 写道：
> 
> Dear IDEAS
>

---

From: Alberto Rodriguez-Natal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 21:41:48 -0700

Hi Padma,

The updated charter looks great! It has my support.

Thanks everyone for all the effort!

Best,
Alberto

---

From: "Reshad Rahman (rrahman)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 14:48:23 +0000

Support.

From: Ideas <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> on behalf of Padma Pillay-Esnault <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Friday, September 1, 2017 at 9:55 PM
To: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: [Ideas] IDEAS Charter

Dear IDEAS

Padma

WG deliverables include:

- Problem statement

- Use cases

- Threat model document

Milestones

November 2018 Recharter

---

From: Alexander Clemm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 17:18:34 +0000

Excellent!

So are we an official Working Group now, or at what point does it become official?

--- Alex

From: Ideas [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Padma Pillay-Esnault
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2017 6:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ideas] IDEAS Charter

Dear IDEAS

Padma

WG deliverables include:

- Problem statement

- Use cases

- Threat model document

Milestones

November 2018 Recharter

---

From: Yingzhen Qu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 17:22:13 +0000

Hi Padma,

The charter looks good. Thanks for all the efforts.

Yingzhen

Dear IDEAS

Padma

WG deliverables include:

- Problem statement

- Use cases

- Threat model document

Milestones

November 2018 Recharter

---

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:05:31 +0000

On 9/7/17, 1:18 PM, "Ideas on behalf of Alexander Clemm" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> on behalf of [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Alex:

Hi!

> So are we an official Working Group now, or at what point

As you may have noticed, I’ve started the Internal Review of the charter.  At this point the IESG and IAB review the charter and ballot [1] on it.

The IESG will discuss (and hopefully approve) the charter on Sep/28.  We then have a 2-week External Review period where the community and other SDOs can comment.   At that point we should have a WG – with plenty of time before IETF 100.

Thanks!

Alvaro.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ideas/