Subject: Enabling ALL MULTICAST

From: Vinodkumar Parasmal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:45:16 +0530

Hi All,
I have a doubt regarding the Ethernet Support for receiving multicast
packets destined to any Group.This is used in case Multicast Routing is
enabled on that interface.Not all Adapters provide this support.What can be
done in such situations ?

Thanks in advance
Vinod

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:39:27 -0800

>done in such situations ?

Use fully promiscuous mode.  This results in a performance penalty, since
the adapter receives every single packet crossing the wire, but that's
simply an incentive not to use adapters that don't support promiscuous
multicast.

(Are there really network adapters that don't support being promiscuous
to multicast?)

  Bill