Subject: Handling looped back packets

From: Vijay Anand Chandrasekar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:22:05 +0530

Hi All,
Should loop back be enabled on Multicast routers. If so, when we send
out a multicast packet, should it be looped back via the loop-back
interface. If it is looped back, then looping back forwarded datagrams
can cause problems, so at what level should the looped back packet be
discarded or how else can it be handled.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Vijay

_______________________________________

PETTRA THAAI THANAI MAGAN MARANTHAALUM,
PILLAYAI PERUM THAAI MARANTHAALUM,
UTTRA THEGATHAI UYIR MARATHAALUM,
NAMASHIVAYAMAE UNNAI NAAN MARAVAEN

________________________________________

---

From: Ali Boudani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:57:30 +0100

hi,
There is a lot of techniques used to disallow loops in multicasting.
or example the poison reverse (DVMRP) and the RPF technique.
a pacquet which arrive in the non appropriate incoming interface should be
discared.