Subject: Querier electiion

From: S Seema Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:14:30 +0530

Hi,

If there are more than 1 routers on a network running IGMPV1 and all of
them use DVMRP, how is the querier router elected? IGMP-v1 does not
specify any mechanism for querier election. 
RFC 1075 states that the router with the lowest IP address is elected as
the querier. But the RFC does not specify any mechanism to elect the
router with the lowest IP address, but only suggests that routing
messages can be used to elect the querier. Is this election process in
this case implementation specific?

TIA,
Seema

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:21:04 -0700

DVMRP implementations that I'm aware of use DVMRP Probe and/or Report
messages to choose the router with the lowest IP address.

  Bill