Subject: IGMP version 3 -- IGMP version 2 state diagram

From: "Singh, Gurpreet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:19:09 -1000

Hi

  I am going though the RFC 2236 IGMP version 2 and IGMP version 3 drafts.
One of the key differences between version 2 and version 3 is that version 3
provides support for source filtering. Other than that Leave message in
version 2 can be considered as TO_IN ( {} ) message in version 3 (basically
means transit to Include state and source list is empty).

Keeping this differences in mind would the IGMP version 2 (RFC 2236) host
and router state diagrams be still applicable to IGMP version 3 ?

Thanks

Gurpreet

---

From: Srivatsan S <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:27:12 +0530

Gurpreet,

   On a broad perspective, the state diagrams are applicable. But, there
are a lot of internal states in IGMPv3 due to its complexity.

Thanks,
Srivatsan

-- 
Srivatsan S
Email: [email-masked]
Phone: 91-80-8520261 Extn 6506
Bangalore, India.