Subject: RE: IGMPV3: Source timer expiration in Exclude Mode

From: Srivatsan S <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:05:12 +0530

Suresh,

     Following table gives u a more clear picture.

   Mode                      Source Timer

  EXCLUDE             If source timer is running, then there is a 
                      conflict for the source, i.e., one client wants
                      mcast packets from the source, while another doesn't.
                      Hence the result is if source timer is running in 
                      EXCLUDE mode, the mcast packets from the source are
                      forwarded to the n/w. It is the responsibility
                      of the client to filter out unwanted packets.

  EXCLUDE             No source timers are running. The clients in this
                      n/w are in total agreement that they don't need packets
                      from this source.

  INCLUDE             Source timer should be running. Because if the source
                      timers are not running, there is no point in keeping 
                      the entry as it is obvious that none of the clients 
                      are interested.

    Also, note that in EXCLUDE mode if any igmp packets are received which
contains
    sources to be blocked, these are not blocked immediately. A Group and
source 
    specific query is sent to make sure that none of the clients on the n/w
wants
    packets from the source. At this point of time, the mode is EXCLUDE with 
    source timer running. If no response is received, the timer expires
blocking 
    the source. If a client responds, the source timer continues to 
    run with all mcast packets from the source being forwarded to the
interface.

    Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Srivatsan

----------------------------------------------------------
Srivatsan S
MindTree Consulting, Bangalore.
Ph: 91-80-6711777 Extn:1428
----------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Boddapati [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 9:55 PM
To: idmr
Subject: IGMPV3: Source timer expiration in Exclude Mode

Hi,
	In the table specified in Section 6.3, when a source timer expires in
EXCLUDE mode, it says "DO NOT Remove Record". I am assuming this means the
source record. If so, what is the use of keeping the record and not removing
it as is done when the mode is INCLUDE? When the group timer expires and the
transition happens to INCLUDE mode, all the source records that have expired
timers are removed anyway. Why keep them till the group timer expires?
Thanks.

Suresh

---

From: Suresh Boddapati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:38:17 -0700

Not sure this helps. Maybe you can elaborate. My question relates to the
second entry in your table. I have a source timer that has become zero (or
expired) in EXCLUDE mode. The draft says that I should not remove the source
record (even though I should block forwarding of packets from this source).
My question is what is the use of keeping this record around? Why not just
delete it? We delete the record with source timer zero in INCLUDE mode
because we dont need it anymore. Same thing applies to EXCLUDE mode also
(even from your explanation, since everybody on the network is in agreement
that no one needs packets from this source).

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of Srivatsan S
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 8:35 PM
To: suresh; idmr
Subject: RE: IGMPV3: Source timer expiration in Exclude Mode

Suresh,

   Mode                      Source Timer

  EXCLUDE             No source timers are running. The clients in this
                      n/w are in total agreement that they don't need
packets
                      from this source.

    Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Srivatsan

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Boddapati [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 9:55 PM
To: idmr
Subject: IGMPV3: Source timer expiration in Exclude Mode

Hi,

Suresh