Subject: yonder

From: Waters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:57:03 +0300

They point their weapons at the Iraqis who are so close to them and to
each other as to be at point blank range, but the soldiers look past the
Iraqis out over the ocean. This FREEDOM Memorial would commemorate the
new Iraqi self-government, their newfound voting rights, the freedom
from tyranny, and a new hope for democracies in the MidEast.

After arriving at the main base in Dhi Qar, Col Ed Brown - of the
newly-formed Rifles Regiment - took us to the police headquarters in
Dhi Qar's capital, Nasiriyah.

"It was never the intention to come up with a definitive memorial to the
war," he replies. A gasoline pump with red fluid pouring out of the
spigot. But temporary - when it comes to refugees - can sometimes last a
depressingly long time. His assessment will likely provide the backdrop
to the next round of war spending.

Foreign faces are a rare sight here now. If they had been, that might
have brought down the government - but it didn't happen. What problems
does Jordan face as Iraq's neighbour? They may be glad, too, of the
promises of practical help - from cash to technical support. No weapons
of mass destruction had been found, but it was just a matter of time.
"There was blood and dead bodies everywhere," Nur, an English student
told me. At the final press conference, the head of the UNHCR, Antonio
Guterres, said everyone had recognised that Iraq still was not safe
enough for people to go home safely.

The irrigation and lighting of this monumental garden, he adds, should
come about in celebration of the return of water, electricity and the
other everyday things his country lost.

I asked him whether the invasion by America, Britain and their friends
four years ago had made Iraq into a recruiting sergeant for Islamist
extremists. He said there were no plans to put it on tour after its run
of barely five weeks in London. The war was sold to the British people
on the basis that intelligence reports showed Saddam Hussein to be a
serious threat. I think the memorial should be a US soldier in full gear
bending down to help a poor Iraqi child on the ground. that shows the
false news about iraq. His government was making it clear, he said, that
it had not abandoned its people. "The media didn't home in on that.