Subject: [idn] nameprep-02 is out; has important fixes

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:14:43 -0800

Greetings again. Thanks for the early comments on nameprep-01; we 
have incorporated them into nameprep-02, which was just released. For 
those of you carefully looking at the characters in Appendixes E and 
F and wanting to see the character names, please see:

<http://www.i-d-n.net/draft/nameprep-appE-input.txt>
<http://www.i-d-n.net/draft/nameprep-appF-input.txt>

There was a pretty serious bug in Appendix F in nameprep-01: we 
accidentally included U+002D (hyphen) in the prohibited list. That 
has been fixed in -02.

If anyone is creating test vectors for nameprep, please get in touch 
with me. I would like to have publicly available lists of names that 
should pass nameprep, and names that shouldn't. Both lists should 
many edge cases. For example, the list of names that should pass 
should have examples of names that pass unmodified, names that pass 
modified due to each different type of mapping, names that are 
modified only by mapping, names that are modified in the mapping step 
and modifed again in the normalization step, and so on. We also need 
tests for names that include unassigned characters so that people who 
are creating client software and authoritative name server software 
can be sure that they get different results.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium