Subject: [idn] internationalized email addresses

From: "Adam M. Costello" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 03:21:17 +0000

It just occurred to me that once people can put Unicode characters into
domain names, they'll also want to put them before the @-sign in email
addresses.  How is that going to work?

I'm not sure it makes sense to try to allow Unicode characters in
domain names without simultaneously thinking about how to allow them
in the other parts of email addresses and URIs.  Are there other
name/address-like things that need to be considered as well?

AMC

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 19:33:40 -0800

>addresses.  How is that going to work?

It won't, yet. It is likely that the mail standards will be updated 
to allow internationalized left-hand sides.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 06:34:34 +0100

>addresses.  How is that going to work?

Work is initiated to look at this problem in the applications area of the IETF.

It is not an open mailing list yet because the work should not 
interfer with the work the IDN wg is doing.

    paf

-- 
Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>       Internet Engineering Task Force
Area Director, Applications Area                   http://www.ietf.org
Phone: (Stockholm) +46-8-4494212            (San Jose) +1-408-525-0940
        PGP: 2DFC AAF6 16F0 F276 7843  2DC1 BC79 51D9 7D25 B8DC