Subject: Re: [idn] A case for *ACE, other good/bad ideas, and a rant...

From: Dan Oscarsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 08:44:50 +0100 (MET)

William Morris writes:

>For Non-ASCII languages, most text input is modal; you are either typing
>in ASCII or Non-ASCII.

Why do you think this?

It might be correct for Non-LATIN based alphabets, but not for non-ascii.
I am using Swedish and Swedish is having a 29 character latin alphabet.
The text input is not modal!

  Dan

---

From: Måns Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:34:09 +0100

> The text input is not modal!

If one is using "classical Unix" keyboard layout but still cares about
correct characters, there is a certain "modality" involved, in form of
using the Compose key. But that surely is of minor importance, especially
since most people have (in this sense) nonmodal keyboards or don't care
about åäö being [}| (or whatever)..

-- 
Måns Nilsson			DNS Technichian
+46 709 174 840			NIC-SE
+46 8 545 85 707		MN1334-RIPE

I had pancake makeup for brunch!