Subject: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-lace-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 07:28:11 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Domain Name Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: LACE: Length-based ASCII Compatible Encoding for IDN
	Author(s)	: M. Davis, P. Hoffman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idn-lace-01.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 05-Jan-01
	
This document describes a transformation method for representing
non-ASCII characters in host name parts in a fashion that is completely
compatible with the current DNS. It is a potential candidate for an
ASCII-Compatible Encoding (ACE) for internationalized host names, as
described in the comparison document from the IETF IDN Working Group.
This method is based on the observation that many internationalized host
name parts will have a few substrings from a small number of rows of the
ISO 10646 repertoire. Run-length encoding for these types of
host names will be fairly compact, and is fairly easy to describe.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-lace-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idn-lace-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-lace-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.