Subject: [idn] Re: how well UTF-8 works

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 23:43:32 -0700

That's the last time I report UTF-8 test results with OE.

Regardless, none of the tests had 100%. Not a single one. Two of the
tests
were able to open the target URL but they didn't display the domain name
properly, which is not a win as far as Joe Sixpack goes.

--
Eric A. Hall
http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Aug 2001 15:36:59 -0000

Eric A. Hall writes:
> Two of the tests were able to open the target URL but they didn't
> display the domain name properly, which is not a win as far as Joe
> Sixpack goes.

Sounds just like ACE.

The difference, of course, is that only a small amount of code has to be
fixed to make UTF-8 work perfectly, while ACE requires massive upgrades
in literally _thousands_ of programs.

The main argument for ACE was the ACE myth, which says that ACE can be
safely deployed before all the software has been upgraded. That myth has
already been dispelled.

---Dan