Subject: [idn] Nameprep & Uniprep

From: "Edmon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:48:09 -0400

The Uniprep issue Paul brought up during the wg meeting I think is very interesting and personally, I have thought that there should be something like this all along.  Anyway, these are my thoughts:

Uniprep - Unicode Identifier Preparations
Nameprep - Domain Name Preparations

Uniprep will be a looser specification for general Unicode Identifiers.

Nameprep will be include mandatory compliance with Uniprep and then on top of it will include some or all of the following:
- additional mandatory preparations specifically for domain names (might not be required)
- Optional elements for zone operators
    - TS Conversion
    - Jpchar
    - Hangulchar
    - others...

In other words, most of the existing Nameprep might be moved to Uniprep, while Nameprep becomes an architectural document for prepping domain names which references to Uniprep and the other language specific mappings, plus possibly some additional preparations specifically for domain names.

Does this make sense?

Edmon

PS. perhaps Uniprep might better be discussed outside of the IDN wg...?...

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 11:12:07 -0400

- i called it stringprep when we (Paul and I) first discuss it, but anyway.
- it is sure that this stringprep work is outside of the idn charter. it 
will be forwarded to the i18n ietf community (mailing list to be found 
later (there is some works on this these days)) and to the idn wg for 
information. but work and discussion on the generalized case will be done 
outside of the idn wg.
- only work related to idn is in the idn charter.

Marc.

At/À 10:48 2001-08-09 -0400, Edmon you wrote/vous écriviez:
>The Uniprep issue Paul brought up during the wg meeting I think is very 
>interesting and personally, I have thought that there should be something 
>like this all along.  Anyway, these are my thoughts:
>
>Nameprep will be include mandatory compliance with Uniprep and then on top 
>of it will include some or all of the following:
>In other words, most of the existing Nameprep might be moved to Uniprep, 
>while Nameprep becomes an architectural document for prepping domain names 
>which references to Uniprep and the other language specific mappings, plus 
>possibly some additional preparations specifically for domain names.
>
>Does this make sense?
>
>Edmon
>

---

From: "Edmon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:50:03 -0400

From: "Marc Blanchet" <[email-masked]>
> information. but work and discussion on the generalized case will be done

This is fine and great.  Then do we want to revisit the Nameprep document to
change it into an architecture doc that would reference String/Uniprep
(personally I like the name uniprep more...)?  I think this only makes sense
as we know that there would be a universal preping mechanism.

> >Anyway, these are my thoughts:
> >

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 11:57:02 -0400

>as we know that there would be a universal preping mechanism.

- uniprep/stringprep is a larger problem that may take a lot of time to do 
and will consider things that are not related to idn.
- I think stringprep should not be in sync with the idn work.

Marc.

---

From: "Edmon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:32:54 -0400

> - I think stringprep should not be in sync with the idn work.

But doesnt that defeat part of the purpose for uniprep as being a universal
prep mechanism that one of the most important identifiers on the internet,
the DNS doesnt even refer to it or use it?
I understand that uniprep is a larger problem, and I also understand the
time pressure seemingly surrounding this wg, but I think it is important
that ONCE it actually is there, it will be used by the DNS.  We should have
some provisions for it.  That is my main point.
Edmon

> > > >Nameprep will be include mandatory compliance with Uniprep and then
on
> >top
> > > >- additional mandatory preparations specifically for domain names
(might
> > > >not be required)